Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: channel crossings

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: channel crossings

Saw that on our news today and thought it a bit extreme, but consider that maybe given the right conditions, well maybe.

The main problem now is how many others will try and end up lost at sea?
    Then again maybe those who want to stop kit think that a good idea!!

People have attempted to travel in the wings of aircraft, and in the holds.
    Arrived but in an extreme frosty condition.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is the latest accommodation for migrants, a lot of opposition as usual, but none of those who oppose come up with another solution.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-65530494
    R689823

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Usual moans and groans from politicians and do-gooders who have no idea what they are talking about, it was built as a 'Floatel' to house off-shore workers. Every room is ensuite, there are two or more messrooms, there is a commercial kitchen. there is a gym, sports facilities and a medical centre all contained within it, which were all necessary for its original purpose. None of this is explained when talking about it, why not. Most of the residents-to-be will never have known an ensuite bathroom. detractors talk about only one kitchen as if it was a domestic kitchen where everyone will have to queue up to make their own cup of tea. Compared to the crap they have been living in on French soil, or even their own soil this floatel is luxury.

Look on the bright side they haven't called it a tanker!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plenty more from were that came from, Bibby have or had at least another 5 such barges.
    They used to have 2 based in New York way back in the 90's ? they were used as correctional facilites for housing low risk offenders.
    They have or had 4 in Hamburg housing refugees from all over eastern Europe.
    The Germans used them as temporary clearing facilites for asyulm seekers. They were processed and either moved on or sent back to there home nations.
    Basically they are 20' containers converted for living accomodation usually 4 berth units. THe older ones had communal bathrooms and toilets. Catrering was from shore side contractors , we used to call them rat packs.
    I did a fill in job for 2 months on the Bibby Endavour.
    During that time we had several murders and many stabbings.
    The crew consisted of Barge Master(me) an Electrician a chippie and two maintainence technicians( ex Bibby AB's)
    We lived in 20' containers but it was single occupancy en suite, TV. It was a toss up who did cook. Money for old rope and the monthly feeding allowance was paid direct to me as barge master. The guy I relieved must have been pocketing a few bob on the QT. Think I was popular with the lads as I always had money left over from the weekly shop. There was always plenty of beer went on the shopping bill , but never as beer. We drank a lot of coke/fanta lol. Our cabins was well secured from the refugees as we lived in a gated entrance from the Plebs.

https://www.bibbymarine.com/our-serv...-vessels-info/

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Michael Black liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was working in Norway in 1999 we were housed on one of Bibbys barges. We had none of the facilities that they will be getting. It was single berth but it was just a bed and a chair, communal showers and toilets, one recreation room with a TV.
    We had to walk a quarter a mile to the canteen which was catered to Norwegian taste, I lived on corn flakes one trip the food was so bad. If you were on the bottom level the showers were always cold as they were fed from the top.
    We used to call it the flovel as it was a floating hovel, instead of a floating hotel (floatel).
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The real wind up here, is that they're housed on this "liner", as in the hotels, while their applications are processed.
    Now, I wonder if anyone knows how many in the past, and up until now, have been rejected and deported? I suggest none, based on the lack of news about any such actions.
    If I'm only half right, it means they are on a sure thing regarding migrating to the UK.
    When I worked, I used to see hundreds of them, sometimes on a daily basis, leaping out of trailers at just one of the many docks around East London. This lasted many years, but I never heard of any being deported. There must be hundreds of thousands, possibly a million or more living here.
    Of course, most of them won't be counted as part of the UK population, and that's the one's they know about.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There use to be a program on the TV, a squad used to raid takeaways, small factories, even the local burger shop here on the Island, just to find illegals working. The owners of the business were fined if employing them. The complete joke on the system was if they were found to be illegal, they were registered at the local nick, and told to report weekly, until their case came up. Guess what, they immediately legged it again !!, we must be the butt of all their jokes, easiest place to get away with being illegal. I hope that now the Tories have had a kick in the nuts with local elections , that to recover some ground before the next elections proper, they will get this Ruanda thing off the ground, but not going to hold my breath.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think there will be plenty of promises, including the Rwanda issue, TV licencing, income tax, hospitals, NHS, and anything else we can think of to get us on the Tory side. Unfortunately, all parties are so out of touch with what we want, nothing will change.
    It was announced today as a starter, that over £600 million will go to the chemist shops, to enable them to issue prescriptions without us seeing a doctor. We still won't see a doctor unless we're lucky, because there isn't any, or very few. They've nearly all gone private, and gov.uk don't want to spend money on training new doctors and nurses.
    It's easier and cheaper to bring foreign medics in, that have been trained in third world countries. Gov.uk don't want the NHS, only a private system, there's more money to be had from us going private.
    Many millions, probably billions, are paid out from NHS money, to private hospitals to treat NHS patients, and that won't last forever.
    I know of a private haematologist raking in £2000 a day from the NHS working on loan in an NHS hospital.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Johnny, don't expect much from Labour, they will welcome illegals with open arms
    Starmer opposes Rwanda and offers no alternative solution.
    I was at the Doctors today, 5 doctors in the practice, only one on duty in the
    afternoon.
    Its always the same, Labour always saying NHS will be privitised with no evidence to backup the claim.
    Vic
    R879855

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vic it is being privatised and has been heading that way for years.
    You are very quick to jump on the Labour party. Well after the results from the local elections in England you will not have long to wait to see what Labour will or will not do.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast