Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Channel taxi service

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Channel taxi service

When Australia started taking in Migrants to build up the number of citizens in the 50s they had no choice, the reason, the huge number of young men sent overseas to fight for Briton in the first war and who never returned, so the population didn't grow fast enough. As for just taking in economic migrants, no, people still had to pass a selection panel. I remember one case where a young couple with a five years old daughter was rejected as she was blind, despite the parents wanting to sign a document that they would look after her for life. And if anyone thought it was a piece of cake, try living in a Nissan hut in an old army camp in the middle of an Aussie summer. After around twelve months ships were full on the return trip, around 150,000 returned to the UK in the first five years. Can't see those immigrants in the UK doing that.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Des, there is an old migrant hostel, not far from us.
    It was taken over by the Uni I worked at for student aclomodation.
    What I saw was something you would expect in London in the times of Dickens, not the 20th century as it was then.

And yes Australia did look for migrants after the war to build up the population, so many died in the war.
    One reason we came was that my brother in law and his family were here.
    But you have to be invited to come, even ten pound poms had to do that bit as you say.

We were invited under the small business scheme, to do that you had to already be doing well, so not just a case of economic benefit, many came for a better climate, I know a number who were offered work by the company they worked for in Uk but had a branch here and needed the skills.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will now give no further donations to the RNLI for this reason. I also disbelieve the figures quoted by the government, when sailing with Bank line in the early eighties it was common place for members of the Indian & Bangladeshi crew to "jump ship" in the UK (and USA). I've no doubt this still happens & with others also making the crossing by other means and unknown to the authorities, I would think the actual numbers will be considerably higher.

4. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Australia is still strict on its immigration, I worked there from 2012 - 2016 as an Engineering Superintendent, as i was over 50 at the time it was 4 years before I could apply for residency. Shortly after completing 4 years I was given notice of redundancy due to my employer losing the contract. Notice of ongoing employment was required to even allow a resident application so instead we were given 3 months to leave the Country ( I believe this has now changed to 2 months). In the time I lived and worked there I contributed over $250,000 in Tax and the Aussies even tax Pension (Super Ann) withdrawals/transfers for none residents.

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peacock View Post
    I will now give no further donations to the RNLI for this reason.
    That's an amazingly petty and grossly unfair attitude.
    The RNLI will attempt to rescue all in peril at sea regardless of who they may be; that is after all one of their founding principles and long may it remain so.
    It is in no way the fault or responsibility of the charity or volunteers that they are caught up in this current mess, they are merely stopping people from coming to harm on our side of the channel as it would seem there is nobody else able to do so.

If you really want to make a financial point to whom is really responsible for this mess then by all means withhold tax from the government.

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi steve peacock 73
    good evening, you are certainly not alone in your dismissal of the RNLI for the assistance they are giving to the french goverment, on the behest of the uk goverment, as i believe personally that when the commander of a french navy vessel is speaking on a open mike to a commander of a british naval vessel telling him the boat size including how many people are aboard together with a eta to the agreed lat and long in international waters where the british can then take over,that is the responsibility of this goverment, The RNLI are volunteering of their own volition as no distress calls have been made and therefore the monies given to them by the public is being wasted, i also have stopped putting money into their coffers,
    tom

10. Likes Ivan Cloherty, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Patagual....just inland from Coronel, Chile.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The UK has been the Go-To Destination for many thousands of FINANCIAL MIGRANTS for many years. The Blair Government started the ball rolling and now it is an out-of-control-snowball that will engulf the UK: It's people & culture and its infrastructure.
    Governments or either shade have promised much but delivered zero on countering this invasion....(Let us not mince words here: This Is An Invasion.)....ALL Illegal immigrants should be returned to the country which allowed them to illegally enter the UK.
    Of course, they don't want these spongers either.... which is why they aid-and-abet their leaving their shores for the UK.

Do I sound harsh?
    If so, please consider this: These illegal immigrants are being housed, fed-&-watered in many hotels across the UK (Mostly England of course.)
    Not dingy old style B&B's either...Oh no.... Proper hotels.... of the kind most people of modest means couldn't even contemplate staying in for a holiday.... (4* if you please!)
    This is going on whilst ex-service men (collective term, like it or not.) are sleeping on the streets. In winter.
    This is going on when decent, law-abiding people are feeling the financial pressures of massive increases in the cost of living: Energy, food,clothing... everything that a family needs to survive.
    This is going on whilst hardworking people are facing huge rises in their tax burden...which...in turn, will obviously exacerbate the point made above.

Now, do you think that those "refuge hotels" for illegal immigrants will be turning down their thermostats?...You know, in order to save the taxpayer some money?
    NAH!....Unlike millions of families and OAP's across the UK will HAVE TO DO... in order to put decent food on their tables?

I have every sympathy for people fleeing war zones and seeking refuge in peaceful lands: That is an Obligation to Humanity which is sacrosanct. But these migrants have somehow paid thousands of Dollars to escape so-called poverty.
    Money they could have used to better their living conditions in their homelands.... even if meant spending it on promoting a better regime.ie, removing the corruption of their so-called leaders.
    But what we are seeing here is a mass migration of mostly able-bodied men, deserting their homelands...crossing several "Safe havens" in order to what they perceive as the Land of Milk & Honey.....The UK....
    Well, millions of hard working Britons could soon dissuade them of that misconception, as could the armies of the homeless...the forgotten.

I just want someone in Parliament to explain to me just why this farce is being allowed to continue. There is no "moral obligation" to support financial migrants. Never has been.

This whole problem has been artificially generated by people with power to create even greater wealth for themselves at the expense of the British people who will suffer as a result for decades, if not generations.
    Last edited by Steve Singleton; 26th November 2022 at 10:04 PM.

Patagual....just inland from Coronel, Chile.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Jim...Seems to be some confusion as to what constitutes a Financial Immigrant , An Asylum Seeker and an Illegal Immigrant. Yet the terms are self evident.
    Someone who moves abroad with company sponsorship and an enhanced wage for doing so.... I suppose, could be defined as a "financial migrant"...albeit temporary.... As the OP said: "Who moves to Pakistan to improve their lot."
    I think I'd seek adequate recompense for that four year period too. As for the the UAE...Well, been there ....& I wouldn't work there on principle.

At the age of 7 my family emigrated to Australia...with the full consent of the Australian Authorities.... (of course.)... So we we certainly were not "Illegal Migrants" ..yes, my parents were seeking a better life: But...and here is the rub:
    NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF THE HOST NATION. We received nothing from the Government on arrival...although none of "abundant jobs available" ever materialised. (We lived in a garage for over six months.In a rather harsh winter.)
    My Dad eventually got a job...totally unsuited to his 12 year RAF Career Training...as a labourer in an open cut coal mine. But he did it.....To feed his family.

In short, we were invited to Oz.... (And I loved my time there) but we certainly had no help from the authorities......And my parents never expected any: That was the deal.

I see no obligation to mollycoddle people crossing the Channel of their own volition whatsoever.

As regards the RNLI point of view.... I have to disagree with various posters: The RNLI is supposed to help people who ACCIDENTALLY get into difficulties in the seas around the UK. Not those deliberately & recklessly doling so.
    (Nor boats nudged into British waters....by You-Know-Who....who also, apparently, disregarded an "SOS" call from such a boat IN THEIR WATERS.)(Beggars the question: How come the boats set sail without any restraint from the authorities?)

In short: These "boat people" only fall into one category: Illegal immigrants. They do not come under under any other category. And there is no obligation on any state to accept them as otherwise.

If an illegal immigrant arrives on a airplane....he is put back on a return flight from whence he came with the same carrier. Simple! At worst, he is held in a detention cell until such a flight is available. End of problem.
    Why should people arriving in boats be treated any differently?
    Last edited by Steve Singleton; 26th November 2022 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Two Typos.

13. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Singleton, a fine whisky, but the best way to enjoy a whisky is knowing when you have had enough.OIP (7).jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#78 if ever there was success by stopping entry of the rubber duckies , there is little doubt the next form of entry would be by hang glider. My answer to the problem apart from shooting them would be to reopen concentration camps before sending them back by the way they came either voluntary or involuntary. JS
    Similar to yoursef Steve I came out to Oz without help or assistance of any government kind with permission of the Oz government.i know people of better standing than myself who were refused entry. Australia picked who they wanted and needed . I certainly have no regrets in doing so. As a seaman I think I could live anywhere in the world , but as a married man you have committments to others and family always comes first , or at least it does to those who accept responsibility for their actions. Cheers JS

PS I gained entry into Australia through myself writing to a Superintendent of the Adelaide Steamship Shipping Company asking him what were my chances of employment if I gained admittance to Australia , together with my CV. He wrote back saying I would have no trouble getting employment.i sent a copy of that letter to the immigration dept. and was never asked for an. Interview or anything else and had no contact apart from mail. However it came with committments also , all the medical etc I paid for, and my own travel. And moving expenses and signed a letter I would not be a burden on the state for at least 4 years. JS
    I see by your cv you are an ex r/o, so will be aware that any ship is required by International law to answer and comply as necessary to any emergency calls for help. Lifeboat crews also know the maritime law.and are bound by the same. Whatever what area they are in they will take instructions from whatever shore operator is in charge of life saving procedure and will
    also delegate other ships in the area their position in the scheme of things , and release them of their duties when they see fit. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th November 2022 at 01:01 AM.
    R575129

16. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast