Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Funeral

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Funeral

After sitting up half the night to watch the final of the British Monarch being laid to rest, let me congratulate the BBC and other news sources on their excellent coverage of the event. Not so much the interviewing of persons, but the actual photography of the public and onlookers . I would imagine it could be shown as a silent film and still invoke gasps of amazement. To see so many of the public on their own violition wanting to be there and making the huge effort and time to even just view the casket lying in State was a wonder on its own . The crowds lining the streets wherever the casket went was a sure indication of the feelings of most of the citizenry of the UK.The armed forces and other civilian organisations must have spent a long time in rehearsals , and when on foot on those long wearisome marches was surprised at the obvious older age of many , but they all seemed to make it. The countries who have regular displays of their own military by the display of tanks and rockets, mainly to their own people, and the rest of the world in general to give warning of their own power. I know which I would prefer to watch and that would be the much loved and respected Head of State being honoured in the only way the British people can do it , with all the Ritual Timing and perfection of timing by young and old in a heart rendering personal act of grief.
    The visual scenes shot to the world will show that at the end of the day it is the common people who make their country tick, if they are brave enough to stand up and be counted. Makes one feel good to see the Great back into Britain where it belongs , and let’s hope it stays there for as long as possible.
    Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Funeral

Her Majesty did us proud in her seventy year reign, and hopefully we did her proud in return, no other country comes close on these occasions. Cheers, John Collier

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watched it all here in z, and yes all done by the BBC an excellent production.

Left me at times very emotional, the first hymn sang most weeks at school, then looking at the cathedral and recalling as a young lad watching her coronation.

Both, the Alpha and omega.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The coverage by BBC & others was excellent but at times it did get annoying when Fred Smith or Billy Bob was being interviewed for 10 minutes because they sold the Queen a bottle of whatever.
    The actual funeral was a splendid sight and very moving. Princess Anne was amazing being a daughter who was doing a great job in keeping her emotions in check. She was with her mother every step of the way. Well done King Charles 111. We need to remember the King and Anne are now in their 70's.

Give it a week and watch the UK media start to lay into the Royals. It is what the media in this country does, they build you and then cannot wait to tear you to bits.
    That prick Piers Morgan & Sharron Osborne have already started. Reports already appearing in some news outlets that Charles is going to turn Balmoral into a museum. He may well do that but I think it is currently the last thing on his mind.
    R I P dear Queen.
    So us 70's somethings have now lived under 3 monarch's King George VI, Queen Elizabeth II and now King Charles III.

Are there any on here who have lived under 5 monarchs King George V, Edward VIII + the 3 mentioned above.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well King Edward was also King for a time even though he never got crowned , so that makes 4 . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like millions around the world we were glued to the t.v through the day and the military precision and procession was fantastic, unfortunately there was little or no coverage of the civilian procession following on behind the military one, of which the representatives of the merchant navy had been invited by the palace to lead.
    Rgds
    J.A

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6 my bet is John , they will strike another medal to commenerate the Occassion and certain groups will get. The bearers of the casket on the gun carriage certainly deserve that . But will probably get more . JS .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Well King Edward was also King for a time even though he never got crowned , so that makes 4 . JS
    Yes I mentioned Edward VIII. He took over from George V. All be it Edward was never crowned he was still King.

I was curious if anyone of our more senior members were born during the reign of King George the V. He died on the 20th January 1936.
    So they would have had 5 monarch's during their life time.
    Last edited by James Curry; 20th September 2022 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des would have been around then , Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Yes I have lived under five Monarchs. unfortunately none of them did anything to help me through life, I doubt they ever thought of me.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast