Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Funeral

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Funeral

What you never earned the Kings shilling. ? What about the Maundy money , did you get there too late. Possibly a heavy night before and slept in ? Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

George 6, Elizabeth 2 and Charles 3, al in my life time.

I was one of the very lucky ones back in 1953 who watched the Coronation on a 14 inch TV.
    Not many had one then, but the lady in the flat below us did.
    Her husband was second Steward on the Mauritania and not short of a quid so could well afford one.

Then a couple of weeks later we had to go to the cinema so all the school could watch it.

So seeing her funeral was for me something very special, emotional and moving.
    No less to me than the loss of a close family member.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When she was getting crowned , I was getting a spike stuck in my eyebrow on my first ship sailing down the Bristol Channel bound for Belfast. As I said in a previous post trying to remember what and where you were when watching others. During famous times , keeps one from going senile, or is that sterile ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: The Funeral

I am 70 now,so have only ever known ER II as monarch-and now her son CR III of course. My mum was 6 months pregnant with me when the Queen's father,GR VI died in February 1952. I just love the 'R' designations for Regina and Rex,,like we see on the Post Boxes,don't you?
    So at the Queen's Coronation in 1953 I would have been exactly one year old and would probably only be interested in 'getting my head down ' and dreaming of my next meal of strained apples and stewed prunes,whatever.
    We didn't have a telly until five years later,not even a 6 inch square job,so I believe my parents would have listened in on the radio,and perhaps my Grandma would have prepared our 'coronation' feast of tuna and lettuce (cut diagonally 'cos it was a special occasion ) sandwiches,fancies ,jelly with tinned Carnation evaporated milk,and lashings of fizzy pop,with a pale ale or two for Dad,though doubtless being a policeman he would have been on duty at a street party in the village and would probably be offered a surreptititious refreshing gill or two at the back door of 'Ye Olde Cock Inn',yes really,by the landlord.Dad wouldn't have done the same at the only other pub in the village,the Lock Inn down by the canal,as the landlord was reputed to be from a criminally associated family and it wouldn't do for the village bobby to be seen fraternising there by the villagers,although that didn't seem to stop a detective colleague of his in the CID from frequenting the establishment.Perhaps the tec was keeping his eyes and ears open, as well as his thirsty cakehole...

Like most of us,I wish I could ask Mum and Dad about their Coronation recollections,but of course they are both now long gone.

God Save the Queen!
    Long Live the King!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tuna in the 50's my my what a feast was served. I expect our family would have been lucky to get a tin of Sardines I think we lived in a hole in the ground and had the luxury of a cardboard box.

https://youtu.be/VAdlkunflRs

No disrespect intended just lightening the mood. The nation has paid her majesty all due respect R I P dear Queen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was born in 1932 so it's 4 Kings and a Queen for me, good poker hand to be dealt with like.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It’s the Ace of Spades I am looking for every wednesday. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th September 2022 at 11:14 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Noel.
    You are the same as me, I was born 20th\July 32, but I bet you didn't have 600 Castles in your Country to keep an eye on you.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

9. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Managing to drop in again. I was born 1934 so am 88 … hard to believe !
    Just completed sea school when KG Vl died and off to sea before funeral and at bottom of Chile for the Queen’s
    Coronation so missed all parades and eve radio broadcasts. Until very recently I was mostly upset that I didn’t see Sir Winston Churchill’s funeral on film at a News Theatre, usually my first stop first home port … missed all of it.
    All okay now … our local PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) aired the entire Live BBC coverage of Queen Elizebeth II funeral,and much of the practice at night.
    I wonder if we will ever see the like again ? I think Britain will not do away with the entire Royal Family but may reduce their financial and land wealth and keep all the pageantry and special ceremonies. What else can one do with all of the uniforms, old fashioned arms and parade grounds ? Big tourist draw for ever.
    Keith Adams
    R570384

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John , I fear there may have to be a name change to the card you look for.
    No longer allowed to call the spades, they are now referred to as illegal migrants.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Graham Payne liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast