Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The 4 day week ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The 4 day week ?

I can't say my shore life was boring. Immigrating*to Canada when I was 20 was like going on another trip, except I could take my wife.
    *The Canada trip was about 2 1/2 years and not a real happy trip, so I changed lines and switched*to the USA. That was a wonderful company to work for. *
    After a few years of Home Trade, they shipped me out to Iran for three years, this time the crew was not too swift. But I became an officer and took my wife and three kids with me., We saw a lot more of the world, Thailand, Malaya, Hong Kong and all over Europe, We spent one Christmas in Switzerland and got paid for*it. *
    Then I became a company man. * The company offered me a position at the company H.Q. in New York, more bucks! *Travel again to the Middle East, North Africa and South America until I grabbed the brass ring and became the C.E.O. Added Canada to my travels and a bit more of South America, but lost Iran. **

Retired at 46, my wife and I went sailing on our own ship, Caribbean, *Australia, N.Z., Mexico and East Europe and Russia and Turkey to my list. We stayed signed on that cruise for 13 years and then came ashore in South Carolina and finally ended up here in Oklahoma and dry dock, but not getting my bottom scraped.

So, I can't say I found life after the MN boring, I feel like it continued with better pay and benefits.

Cheers, Rodney*

- - - Updated - - -

I can't say my shore life was boring. Immigrating*to Canada when I was 20 was like going on another trip, except I could take my wife.
    *The Canada trip was about 21/2 years and not a real happy trip, so I changed lines and switched*to the USA. That was a wonderful company to work for.*
    After a few years of Home Trade they shipped me out to Iran for three years, this time the crew was not too swift. But I became an officer and took my wife and three kids with me., We saw a lot more of the world, Thailand, Malaya, Hong Kong and all over Europe, We spent one Christmas in Switzerland and got paid for*it.*
    Then I became a company man.* The company offered me a position at the company H.Q. in New York, more bucks! .* *Travel again to the Middle East, North Africa and South America until I grabbed the brass ring and became the C.E.O.. Added Canada to my travels and a bit more of South America, but lost Iran.*
    Retired at 46, my wife and I went sailing on our own ship, Caribbean,* Australia, N.Z., Mexico and East Europe and Russia and Turkey to my list. We stayed signed on that cruise for 13 years and then came ashore in South Carolina and finally ended up here in Oklahoma and dry dock, but not getting my bottom scraped.

So I can't say I found life after the MN boring, I feel like it continued with better pay and benefits,

Cheers, Rodney* ( Doc please remove dupe post, sorry about that)
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 22nd September 2022 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#35. James, for those who didn't fancy travelling on the "blue wobbly thing," back in the 1950's to the late 70's there was another way to see parts of the planet. The Hippie Trail which covered places which nobody in their right mind would attempt today. I knew two guys who did go, both mechanics, which were in demand to keep those mostly clapped out vehicles moving.
    Bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie_trail

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did that too Bill, hiked in the foothills of Annapurna, Nepal. Fantastic trip. One morning sitting outside my tent sipping coffee and the cloud cover lifted and saw Annapurna in all its glory. I will never forget it.

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WEW had two engineers on the Windsor who had walked from Durban to London.
    Not sure how long it took them but they had some great stories to tell.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you mean London ,London, John , or East London ? JS
    Whatever they would have been late for watch.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd September 2022 at 07:01 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No John this was to London, a little town in the south of England, you may have heard of it.

Why they walked was never explained, or maybe we did not ask, but it was there in London they joined UCL as engineers.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fit lads then John, eh!!! from Durban to London in a 4 day week

9. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember the 84 hour week firstly from about 1984 , only it far exceeded this at times. 0ne such Occassion was snatching which for those who don’t know the expression means holding the vessel in position on the rudders engines and thruster only . After doing 15 hours doing such I asked the oim when he was going to release us for a break , his reply was , we expect the master to do 18 hours at a stretch. I said good you’ve got 3 hours left .Silence for 15 minutes then he came back will you work job and finish , I said ok. I was released. About 9 hours later. Then they have the nerve to talk about Safety .That to my recollection was near enough 24 hours standing working rudders thrusters and engines , then continuing on passage on the bridge back into Lerwick in dense fog every joint in my body stiffened up with cramp. Been there ,done that, have more sense today. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th November 2022 at 04:29 AM.
    R575129

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is now a big push by our state dictator for all public servants to work a 4 day week and where possible from home.
    Sounds great, yes for them but not for the public.

It is a challenge to get any kind of response from a public servant now, how will we go if they do a 4 day week??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How does a refuse officer formerly titled a dustbin man , manage to accomplish his vocation ? JS
    Did Lonnie Donegals old man ever get a chance for the proverbial change of titles ? JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th November 2022 at 06:09 AM.
    R575129

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast