Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shipping containers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shipping containers

Vernon, mix that with all the UCL silver between Cape Town and Southampton and you could be a billionaire.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There must also be billions of beer cans on the ocean floor I know I chucked in quite a few!!!

UK003715

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Gowers View Post
    There must also be billions of beer cans on the ocean floor I know I chucked in quite a few!!!
    and galley gear .....my old mate from shields a ships cook dumped everything twice over the wall......the ist time old captain roberts who JS knows said if you keep your nose clean......i will forget it ......but cookie a great cook he was chucked everything over again when pissed .....all hands thought it was great ...but no grub that day in adelaide.till a whole new set of galley gear came back aboard ......saw him a year before he passed in the winter gardens in laygate shields and we laughed and laughed and got a good drink ....oh the memories ......i have put the story of the coal burning galley range on here before but just out of interest.....as they were mentioned earlier ....for some reason known only to the smart asses in the pool in shields i was sent to join an old banger in liverpool as galley boy in 58.....the galley boys in scouse land must have taken one look and walked away ....sadly i hadnt the money too get back to shields and signed on......getting the bloody thing to a good temp was not easy .....any way i was told it was my job to get the coal up from the bunker each morn and stock up the bunker in the galley .....the main bunker had a handy billy and a leather bucket so it was down the bunker fill the small leather bucket heave it up carry it to the galley bunker many times to fill it starting after a call at about 5 finished by about six thirty get showerd... turned to put on the burgoo laid the bacon cooked the 7 bells breakfast on which the cook came in told me i was effin useless .....not complaining just saying as it was the second cooc would bring up the days stores while i humped my bloody spuds down from the tatty locker on the boat deck .....by then i filled the breakfasts for the crowd and the peggy an idle little bastard came and carried them down aft....istoked the fire set the draught very low ......the lower i could get the bloody blowing the less coal i had to carry up next day....we sailed down nto swanseafor to pick up steel pipes for kharg island up the gulf ....a godforsaken place were we put one pipe a day on alittle dhow like craft if the weather was calm ..we were ther no air con for some 30 days in july and agust the pipes were some 30 to forty feet in lengthand aabout 4 foot in diameter ...... we also ran round to middlesboro for more steelany way i digress.....back to the galley.....after a couple of weeks the mate was walking round the ship as i brought up a basket of coal annd asked what was i doing ......which made me think FFS he is the effin mate and he doesnt know that the galley needs coal ...lol.....but was overjoyed when he stated that is the peggies job ......he made myday there was a god after all and it wsnt the bleedin cook.....any way off we sailed for the gulf .....as we came of the lizardshe really took some big seas it was friday and fish and chips was on the dinner that night....i believe an apprentice was told to go around the vessel saying it was going get going a bit and to secure everything .....but i cant recall him coming in the galley ......the safety anti roll bars i was putting on the range .....as i finished she took a really hard roll ....the massive steel pipes on deck were piled high and i dont think she was coming back easy ....anyway the big chip pan started to bounce as the vessel struggled up .....and the cooking oil flew out and the whole range set on fire.....the second cook ran and picked the kit up... just as she took another fast roll he staggered back until he hit the bulkhead where upon the whole kit spilled over him from chest to feet .....he sqealed then was unconcios .........we got him to his cabin and the old man .....who was ist trip old man came down... and we eventually came about that was bloody fun and went into falmouth .....the guy was screaming and the smell of his burns i will never i will never forget any way i was told i was new asssitant cook which meant i went from 10 pounds 11 shillings to some 28 pounds a month...sadly that never came about although i now was doing the baking the breakfasts and the bloody cooks job while him and the chief steward were on the piss.....so after meeting one beuty in oz i skinned out....was eventually lifted sleeping in an old copper mine mine in a place called moonta in south oz .....was sentenced to 28 days hard labour.....in HMP adelaide... by a friendly magistrate who had jumped a sailing vessel in wallaroo in 1926 and assured me when i came out if i kept my nose clean for 6 months i would be offered a ozzie passport as ozz needed strong young men to help build there country .....but that is another story...R683532 CAPPY from shields

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cappy. What a great account … a good writer could assist you in producing a whole nautical book series with each of your postings with you just emptying your head of memories to fill in the gaps !
    I do enjoy your posts. Thank you. Keith Adams.
    Keith Adams
    R570384

7. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His first book could be called Living Among The Emus, although maybe a bit risqué even for this day and age , would probably get him permanent residency in the shed if his wife Pat saw it. The next tome could be on his affairs in the land of the Rising Sun. Again he would be in the shed with his sentence extended , in fact he would never be allowed out. Think he will consider the pros and cons before picking up his quill and ink. The ones who write their biographies are the likes of the pollies soon forgotten they are supposed to have signed the Official Secrets Act , maybe they think it didnt apply to them , Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th August 2022 at 07:18 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well john i think there must be many stories aboard this vessel .....that show the signs of those times .....and earlier .......but what times they were for us .....no phones to ring home .....letters took weeks ....the world was young .....countries and cities were so individual .....and what a learning curve to the future lives we would have ....learning to see many folk in different ways ..and living with each similarly but allowing each his own ways .....they were the days that made us what we are today ...and god bless us all ...i feel sad that many of todays young will never experience all that.....we were the last of a breed sadly........R683532

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2