Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Australia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Australia

From todays papers. The Mod will station nuclear subs in Perth Australia. The subs will patrol the seas around the North coasts.
    The subs will also be used to train Australian naval personnel, prior to them getting their own nuclear boats.

Vic

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Australia

Hi Vic.
    Most people I have spoken with don't want them here.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 The American subs occasionally use the drydock facilities in Fremantle , but usually fly in their own technicians. An aquaintance of mine is the skipper of the floating drydock. JS

For those on site who Knew BUE , I believe the British Magnus an old ship of mine, I nearly got the run job of bringing her out here from the Tyne , she was used I believe as a submarine tender, however that was 27 years ago. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd July 2022 at 02:38 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Australia

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #1 The American subs occasionally use the drydock facilities in Fremantle , but usually fly in their own technicians. An aquaintance of mine is the skipper of the floating drydock. JS

For those on site who Knew BUE , I believe the British Magnus an old ship of mine, I nearly got the run job of bringing her out here from the Tyne , she was used I believe as a submarine tender, however that was 27 years ago. JS

BRITISH MAGNUS/SEAHORSE STANDARD-Blt.as BALDER CABOT

Diesel twin Screw Diving Support vessel 1,599 grt.Compl.3/1981 by Marystown SY,Ontario,Canada. as Balder Cabot. for Deasea Ltd,London,later Dramgate Ltd.,London.
    1985 Renamed British Magnus.
    1998 -converted to Trials Support Vessel .To Fremantle,WA,.Renamed Seahorse Standard by KV Equipment Rentals Pty Ltd,Fremantle
    2010 - converted to Platform Supply vessel.
    2013 Owners now DMS Maritime Pty.Ltd,Fremantle
    2018 to Int'nl Maritime Pte,Ltd.Funafuti,Tuvalu..
    17/5/18.Broken Up at Alang

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s her Graham a luxury ship ahead of her time when built even had GPS . All I knew at the time was she was ex BUE ( British Underwater Engineering ) The Director who took her as part of his earnings on the break up of BUE was an ex master himself was the founder of Vector offshore , think they may still be going today , rather think he may not be though , if he is good for him, he knew most of everything concerning seafarers being one himself., Holder of an Extra Masters cert. as well . Cheers JS .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like they are still in business under another name John.

https://www.shipsandoil.com/Ship%20I...ore/VECTOR.htm
    R689823

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Keith , I was only on the Magnus just over a month , he then started to bring in other vessels and altering them properly the first one was in 1991 when the conversion was completed she was an ex American Gulf of Mexico supply vessel and i was in Sunderland to see the conversions done and to have any thing that I thought was needed , I sailed about 3 trips on completion of this vessel before emigrating to Gods country . I made sure she had fresh water showers on deck areas outside as well as inside , had gas alarms all over the ship had 2 diesel driven FRCs and numerous other necessities for the job. The owner went along with everything no squawks about money . Must have been a good starting point for a new industry. That ship if not already named was the Veesea Topaz . It should have been the first acorn from which the future oak trees grew . However I didnt hang around to find out. There’s always another horizon to get over . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd July 2022 at 08:09 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Thanks Keith , I was only on the Magnus just over a month , he then started to bring in other vessels and altering them properly the first one was in 1991 when the conversion was completed she was an ex American Gulf of Mexico supply vessel and i was in Sunderland to see the conversions done and to have any thing that I thought was needed , I sailed about 3 trips on completion of this vessel before emigrating to Gods country . I made sure she had fresh water showers on deck areas outside as well as inside , had gas alarms all over the ship had 2 diesel driven FRCs and numerous other necessities for the job. The owner went along with everything no squawks about money . Must have been a good starting point for a new industry. That ship if not already named was the Veesea Topaz . It should have been the first acorn from which the future oak trees grew . However I didnt hang around to find out. There’s always another horizon to get over . Cheers JS
    In Oct 90, I was appointed 2/E of the Kronbas, brand new purpose built standby vessel, Norwegian flag. It had excellent equipment levels and could carry approx. 200 passengers or thereabouts.
    I was all packed up ready to go the day before, when in late afternoon I got a call to say I had been ditched due to the Norwegian authorities insisting on a Norwegian national had the job.
    Signed back on the dole next morning.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8. A sign of the times Tony , if anyone had said to me pointing to a standby boat when I was on an anchor handler, , that’s where you will finish up, and I would of said they were nuts. The Silver Pit was Norwegian owned did you know ? , I doubt very much whether they would of got Norwegians to sail on her though . That’s why I have no delusions about the sea and agree with the Australian unions at the time I was here that only Australians worked on the ships , everyone blames the unions for lots of things , they did some things right at the time. Only the media and government of the day thought different . Cheers JS
    A sentence from a, letter from the managers of the 8 July 1988...I have had letters of congratulations from.......
    ..... an associated company in Norway.
    Pity the ship wasn’t manned by Norwegians
    Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd July 2022 at 09:15 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 should of also said DP. JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast