Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big Oil v The World

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Big Oil v The World

Did anyone watch tonights programme BigOil v The World, episode 1 Denial, I do not know if this was the first time this programme has been shown. Certainly was an eye opener. It can be viewed on BBC I Player, https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ies-1-1-denial.

Did any on the forum ever sail on the ULCC Esso Atlantic, there is a bit of footage showing her in the programme.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Louis the fly liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Big Oil v The World

Unfortunately James BBC I Player not available here Downunder! Seems Signals cant travel Downwards ! LOL
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you get into the world of oil , some countries have such as their only worthwhile earnings for their well being. Saudi Arabia for example, cut the need for oil out and they have nothing apart from a few dates and heaps of sand , these nations then become bankrupt , and get back on their camels , the few that ever got off them that is. It will always be an area of contention climate change. People will fight to the bitter end against that which is going to distort their standards of living. JS
    R575129

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As we watch the affects of global warming spread throughout the world the most valuable asset to have underground will be water not oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very true Louis, no water no planet. In that programme EXXON did not come out of it very well at all. But I doubt if any oil major would.
    Like a lot of seafarers we just got on with the job. Before the bean counters really got greedy as a rule most oil majors were good employers. Paid well and great pension schemes. Then they got greedy and binned the lot of us.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

,QUOTE=James Curry;402887]Did anyone watch tonights programme BigOil v The World, episode 1 Denial, I do not know if this was the first time this programme has been shown. Certainly was an eye opener. It can be viewed on BBC I Player, https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ies-1-1-denial.

Did any on the forum ever sail on the ULCC Esso Atlantic, there is a bit of footage showing her in the programme.[/QUOTE]

For such ULCC's built in those oil-hungry years of the 70's the Esso Atlantic and her sister Esso Pacific lasted quite well,compared with many of those scrapped after just 10 years. These two,built in 1977 at a Hitachi shipyard in Japan over-topped the Half a Million tonnes deadweight measurement,and were just two of seven worldwide over that size. With a laden draft of 75 metres they were too deep to pass through the English Channel.They served for 13 years with Esso,including a layup in an Alesund fjord, Norway for 4 years.
    In 1990 they were bought by Greek shipping interests and then served a further 12 years,presumably at a Gulf offshore oil port, possibly Fujairah, UAE, before being towed to Pakistan and scrapped in 2002,at 25 years old.

Last edited by Graham Shaw; 22nd July 2022 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6 Graham when I worked for John I Jacobs in the 70s short as the time was I had never had tanker experience as worked on their dry cargo vessels, however they had some colossus of a tanker built where and why I didn’t take too much notice as considered myself dry cargo in any case. Was however sent for experience on two of their clean products carriers and heard off the grape vine it was for this huge colossus of a super tanker they had built after a year on these two smaller vessels.However this never came to pass wrong time and circumstances The super duper tanker laid up in one of the Norwegian fiords and they even built a quay for it so the story went.The other ships in the fleet disappeared to pay for this white elephant and John I Jacobs went into recess and all were made redundant. I never found out the name of this ship as was rather disgusted at the time , no doubt it was sold off as never did a trip for Jacobs .Have you any records of such a ship ? Can’t give you a name as never knew it. But was built for John I Jacobs one of the earliest privately owned tanker company’s I was told.would be nice to know of the ships name at least which changed a lot of peoples lives. Cheers JS the nearest I could say the name ends in wood the same as the rest of the fleet e.g. Hollywood, Cherrywood. Laurelwood etc. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd July 2022 at 12:30 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Big Oil v The World

JS Yr. # 7--John Jacobs Tanker.
    John you've set me quite a challenge there! I can only ask you if you can remember the year,or place of construction or size,because as you know it depends on whether she would be classed as a 'supertanker'(which I always think of as being sub 200,000 dwt) ,then from about 68 onwards a VLCC of 200,000 dwt plus,and a ULCC of about 75 onwards of about 400,000 dwt.
    I don't have a history of John I .Jacobs vessels,and I now regret thinning out then cancelling my Shipping Today and Yesterday magazine collection,because there is just such a history in the January 2021 issue,which I feel sure would mention it. Maybe someone here has that issue?.......

Anyway I can mention one vessel,the tanker TEAKWOOD of 1975,built in good company of several other 'supertankers',for example London & Overseas Freighters/Tankers by Gotaverken of Gothenburg,Sweden. Sizewise of this Teakwood -she was 75,000 grt and 140,905 dwt,so still a supertanker size.

Also,but you will know,Jacobs had an association with Regent Tankers.Could it be one of those ?
    I'llkeep working on it.......
    Cheers!
    Graham.

Incidentally,I have never sailed in a tanker,although now I often think perhaps I should have,just for some experience. From being a 17 year old cadet I always loved the whole concept of cargo ships with lots of derricks and cranes to operate and running gear to overhaul and working out stowage plans,and calling at tropical island ports for weeks at a time with girls in grass skirts ashore to soothe my fevered,randy little brow-rather than having the smell of petroleum pervading my persona,in a hot desert offshore port somewhere up the Gulf. Later on as we know containers and their carriers suddenly burst onto the scene and I got to like those too-it was so good to go at a cracking pace of knots and actually overtake something for a change !. There is a thread currently on here about albatrosses,and how they can follow you for days on end,before suddenly disappearing.Then,you miss it ! Well,on a cargo ship once on a run from France down to the Cape,for about a week ,we kept pace with a Greek freighter ,about a mile away to starboard.We must have both been doing the same speed.At night we often had a bit of banter between us on watch,although it was a bit torturous at times over the VHF trying to understand the heavy Greek accents .It was sad one morning when I went on watch to find her not there. We had gradually crept ahead maybe due to currents ,or she had reduced speed so she was gone,and the airwaves were quiet once more-our 'Greek albatross' had left.....
    The best type for me was the combination cargo/container vessels,which involved using all your handling gear to discharge your general and containers, then quite often simultaneously backload your empty containers,and work out your stowage and calculations etc.Later on it was large bulk/ore carriers,but for me I was too jaded to care very much,redundancy was looming for most of us, so I did my six months, grabbed the nice ex-UK tax-free ,legal , allowance money ,then after a year or two when the redundancy package eventually became reality I bowed out gracefully after 20 years at sea.
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 22nd July 2022 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It Must have been 73/74 Jacobs threw their legs in the air , this new ship they had was in the 200,000 range. But where built don’t know , believe Jacobs stayed in the brokerage side of Shippingl but as far as I know never went back into ownership. JS will check with book tomorrow. JS
    Teakwood sounds very acceptable and could well have been it. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd July 2022 at 02:16 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is it the LAURELWOOD built Sunderland 1969?
    Vic

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast