Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Big Oil v The World

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Big Oil v The World

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Is it the LAURELWOOD built Sunderland 1969?
    Vic
    Laurelwood was a comparatively small tanker,not a supertanker,Vic---15,100 grt/25,604 dwt.

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11. Yes I know Graham spent 6 months there , 3 of them on the NZ coast , and 6 months on the Hollywood carrying Naptha from the Persian Gulf to Japan . Which was my 1 and only introduction to tankers followed by the Inert gas course at Southhampton , in readiness for joining what I now do think of as the Teakwood ,thank you. On that same course was where I found the paperwork which I handed to the police which had reference to Ted Heath in it. Amazing how these politicians get into everything . Never received no thank yous or anything when that Irish cell was discovered locally either. Cheers JS ...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd July 2022 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Done twice
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10 . No Vic but thanks . The Laurelwood and the Hollywood were the only two operational tankers that J I J had at the time plus this biggy laid up in the fiords . It was the biggy I was trying to find out about as was expecting to finish up there. However self as all others finished up looking for jobs elsewhere. Like many others of those years which I think of the decline of the MN it was a scramble to keep ones head above water financially. Today out here at least those who have taken advantage of the low interest rates of 1% are greeting now at 3% , what would they have done with 8.5 % as we had in the uk , and out here when I first came out.We all managed as took it as norm. I was lucky when with JIJ as changed from Building Socety to a loan from them at 4% . However when there he went legs up they gave us all a year to redeem the mortgages , which meant going back to 8.5% with a Building Society , but we survived and didn’t go around complaining and moaning . Cheers JS
    Don’t know they are born half of them. Just for interest the Laurelwood had a Chinese crew on British Agreement and not cheap labour. They pulled me out of the after pump room after Succumbing to a gas leak which I thought I could hold my breath while I shut the valve by hand. A hard way to get the experience never did again as knew it didn’t work that way. Cheers JS....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd July 2022 at 01:19 AM.
    R575129

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lucky, Lucky, worst place to be caught without a mask with all the ladders, we had to haul a pump man out one time, struggling to get him out with a mask on is something I wouldn't want to do again.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Correction to my #7 and #14 . Discharge book records shows I was on the Hollywood and the Laurelwood in 1974. Last ship with JIJ and must have been one of the last made redundant when the geared bulk carrier the Rosewood was sold in Italy in August 1975. I was there so should be correct. JS ...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd July 2022 at 02:20 AM.
    R575129

11. Thanks Doc Vernon, Graham Shaw thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15 Des thats one thing that I did learn from tankers and that was that the pumpman was the mates right hand man. I had to find out again the hard way, both tankers on were 4 mate ships , the chief officer was the cargo man and did no watches either at sea or in port . I joined in Banda Mashur as first mate loaded mostly Jet A1 and Jet A2 and the other stuff for making bombs I imagined, on getting to Japan I took over from the Chief Officer so was then Chief officer/1st mate on the one original salary. The worse thing though was the pumpman also paid off and he wasnt replaced. the forward pumproom served the 4 forward tanks only as these were the paraffin tanks , the other 26 tanks being controlled from the after pumproom by throttles coming out of the engine room bulkhead which was easy peasy. As were electric pumps and engineers started and stopped. The forward pumps however were old steam up and downers and usually started and stopped by the pumpman . If you havent got one however one has to do it oneself and can be harder than one thinks , so had to start from scratch and learn all the idiocracies of the relative pumps. we continued loading Naptha for the next few trips. I was sent from there after 6 months to the Laurelwood on the Kiwi Coast after being delayed in Iran due to political unrest at the time but eventually escaped by flight in company of the ex manager of Tehran airport who was British and an ex spitfire pilot from the battle of Britain a Sir John somebody or other who had been sacked and was going to stay with his daughter married to a rubber planter in Malaya. We didn"t get much money but we did see life. Those were the days my friend , I thought they"d never end ,who sang that ?, always brought back memories some good some bad. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd July 2022 at 03:25 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Big Oil v The World

JS Yr #13 Re supertanker the m.t . TEAKWOOD.
    Yes John must have been the TEAKWOOD.Miramar Shipping Index history records;- Launched in Gothenburg 5/75,owned by John Jacobs,but only very briefly ,for later in 75 she was owned by an Algerian petroleum company,renamed IN AMENAS,under Algerian flag.
    In 85 she became the AEGEAS of Piraeus.Greek owners.
    88 Converted to FPSO (Floating Production Storage Offloading )unit.Renamed KNOCK DAVIE.Panama flag.
    96 Became RUBY PRINCESS,Vietnamese owners and Liberian flag.,then Vietnamese flag.Used offshore Vietnam.
    11/2010 Broken up in Xinhui,RC after briefly being given St.Kitts & Nevis flag.

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Your right there, a good pump man was worth every penny and more what they paid him, I know at sea he could get any amount of overtime.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

16. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2