Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New motoring laws for July

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New motoring laws for July

I wonder what the thoughts from members are on the compulsory introduction of speed limiters on new cars from this month, as i understand it, these when fitted will not be able to be turned off, some cars are already fitted, and have been for some time in Europe, but won't affect me as i am not driving a new car. I have never driven a vehicle with one fitted.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/202...ect-july-2022/
    R689823

2. Thanks Graham Payne, Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New motoring laws for July

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I wonder what the thoughts from members are on the compulsory introduction of speed limiters on new cars from this month, as i understand it, these when fitted will not be able to be turned off, some cars are already fitted, and have been for some time in Europe, but won't affect me as i am not driving a new car. I have never driven a vehicle with one fitted.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/202...ect-july-2022/
    There will inevitably be a new market springing up with a way round it. Speed limiters on trucks have had disabling switches available for years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: New motoring laws for July

Speed Limiters.. Keith-my input -well I don't see it as a problem for me-a Mr.Average,Sensible Driver like most of us !

I don't know about compulsory speed limited vehicles which is what is the article means ,but in the last 8 years or so I have had 3 cars fitted with a manually operated Speed Limiter-and I use it all the time,preset to my chosen upper limit of 30mph.Just one push of the stalk entering a 30 zone-incidentally my 'clever' Citroen has a road sign speed limit warning which (usually) gives me notification in time.I can then relax in the limited zone,until I'm out again and can cancel it.
    I would say it has saved me on quite a few occasions from getting a hefty fine and perhaps penalty points,although it would probably,with me, only be a few mph over anyway.

I suppose HGV'S and buses and coaches are speed limited,so seeing as it's impossible at times to drive fast anywhere,I don't see why cars too shouldn't be limited.

I wouldn't feel safe though in a 'driverless' mode car !, although my Citroen has an Active Safety brake (which can be turned off,)and by means of cameras can detect a vehicle,pedestrian or other obstruction ahead of you and applies your brakes progressively,while at the same time shouting "Warning !,"Collision !" or something similar-no' I've never used it ! Nor have I ever seen my Coffee Break Alert warning simply because I have never met the parameters of you must have been driving at an average speed of 40 mph for at least 2 hours-impossible for me,because I rarely use a motorway.

At one time it would be your wife nagging you in the car-,now it's your onboard computer.... and don't get me started on Sat Navs !....Driving.gif
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 1st July 2022 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree with you Graham, and at 82 i don't want points on my 100% clean driving licence, my insurance is already high , due to my age. The only point that i worry a little is that it cannot be turned off, according to the report. The most dangerous manoeuvre on the road in my opinion is , overtaking, either a stationary or a moving vehicle, and when doing this, i like to accelerate and get it done when safe to do so and get back on my side of the road. In accelerating to do this i suspect it could take me behind the speed limit, just an observation. The ability to click a button to tell me if i am going too fast is the best use of a limiter, there are too many road signs to observe without watching your speed dial. Again at 82, i won't be purchasing any new cars any time soon anyway.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likewise on my part here in Aussie, at 82 now with a clean Driving record i too have no with to start speeding. I stick to the speed rules as i go, and Drive as carefully and sensibly as possible!
    As for the Speed Limiters being fitted on Cars, well should not worry those who have any sense of good driving behaviour.
    Here in Aus i know of the Truckies having them, but have not heard of Cars .
    All i know of is a Driving Speed Controller, that one can set to whatever, but it isnt a good thing here with all the stop strat, as as soon as you hit the Brake it didengages and has to be rest! So i dont even use that!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

7. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith
    You may want to put one in, from the program I watched on TV last night, they are finding Tetradactylies and such galore on the island.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

9. Likes Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, as you say they are discovering Dinosaurs and all sorts of ancient animals on the Island as the cliffs erode, discoveries virtually every week, I'm just waiting for a knock at the door anytime soon, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith
    Just don't answer the door with lettuce hanging out of your mouth.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watching on the news today, apparently all modern cars already have a speed limiter built in as if building for a world market where certain countries require a speed limiter to be fitted it is cheaper to leave it in rather than remove it for countries that don't require it. In the U.K. what we don't have is the speed cameras fitted with the technology that automatically engages the speed limiter automatically.
    Rgds
    J.A.

13. Likes Graham Shaw, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: New motoring laws for July

JA. John,as said in my post # 3,we are just about ready for this technology.My Citroen,a European car of course,has a manually operated speed limiter,linked to an automatic speed limit sign recognition system and advisory speed limit to set by yet another press on the stalk.
    It already has on the car an autonomous Active Safety Brake which detects an obstruction ahead and (probably) frightens you to death by heavily breaking for you,before your seatbelt pretensioner squeezes the life out of you and pulls you back into the seat and deafens you with the bangs from the 6 interior airbags.Upon impact,via your GPS it then automatically alerts your position to the emergency services. My Active Lane Departure Warning will alert me when I cross a motorway white line, take control and steer me back into lane.My Electronic Stability Control will compare my input on the steering wheel to the way the car is actually heading,wrenching the steering wheel from one's hands(I like to think!) and stop me skidding. I had the option of Park Assist to measure a space and parallel park you,which I declined because it was a £1000 option and so I just make do with the front and rear parking sensors and top rear camera,which helps me avoid reversing into poor Mrs.Lady next door and her shopping trolley when she pauses for breath slapbang in the middle of my driveway exit when I am reversing out....
    I have a door mirror Blind Spot indicator,Automatic Main Beam Headlight Dipping (not as effective as it should be)and a Coffee Break Alert... Lot's of camera/voice thingies to go wrong with all that--make sure you get a good Warranty and a Service Contract ! I could go on.....So I do agree most of the technology is in place. ...and it won't be long before we will all be driving fully autonomous(driverless ) vehicles- I would hate that ! But also .at what cost? A new car is an expensive item,and most of us are already facing the dilemma of Shall I Go Electric and the initial high cost of doing so... I do not want to spend c.£35 grand on an EV,and that is for a 'cheap spec 'little saloon. And I would certainly suffer from Range Anxiety-I get paranoid now when my fuel gauge still shows 1/4 full,so heaven knows how I'd feel when I got a warning like "Attention !10 miles range remaining !
    Plug In Now ! Attention ! Caution! Now Only 9 miles remaining ! Plug In quick! Warning !...Jalopy.gif

Motoring used to be a pleasure-I suppose the owner of a sleek Aerominx of the 1940's said that when he compared it to, and preferred despite it's lack of comforts,his old 1920's bullnose Morris....

15. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast