Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another school shooting

As I have repeatedly said the majority of US voters want changes to the gun laws. In my previous posts on this subject, I have listed names, party affiliations. percentages pro and con. Even the majority of NRA members want change. I repeat, it is the power of the money that the NRA donate to politicians that follow the NRA creed, that will not bring change to gun laws to the floor of the US congress for a vote, the majority being Republicans. And I would assume it is the same in the UK. A conservative will not vote for a Labour Government over a single issue. Again, that is only an assumption on my part correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions. I do know I am correct in my USA opinions.

Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodney I can assure you that uk politicians whatever their hue will come together if the majority of the electorate demand it. If a relatively small organisation like the NRA can influence a few Senators with “donations” or let’s call it what it is “bribes” and hold the entire country to ransom I can only conclude the US voters apathy is as much to blame for the situation. I mean your forefathers organised and managed to get rid of us Brits I wish you well but prayers and sympathy don’t stop the killing.

3. Thanks N/A, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It strikes again. In the news a couple of hours ago.
    Three shot dead in a hospital in USA.
    Shooter also killed by police.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This latest tragedy took place in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I live 16 miles away from Tulsa. Last week I had to visit a doctor in a medical building next to the hospital where I believe the shooting took place. News is coming out slowly as I don't think the Tulsa government want to make the same balls up the mob in Texas did last week. It looks like our Tulsa police were on the ball. The call came in there was an active shooter and the police special squad arrived three minutes later and engaged the shooter, who then apparently took his own life.

a saddened Rodney.

7. Thanks N/A, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

David.#34

It is not voter apathy.* There are wide philosophical* differences between Republicans and Democrats.* From what I make out looking at your politics there are many similarities*between* Conservatives and Labor be it, type of medical coverage wanted, common market, separation from Europe etc.. And a fair amount of UK voters that can cross over quite comfortably between the two parties.

The NRA has dropped from 5 million to 3 million in membership. The majority of current membership favor new gun laws.* The problem seems to be the board of Directors are a good old boy club, who when a director resigns or dies nominees*for replacement are hand picked by the B.O.D..* And the current philosophy is skillfully maintained.

You are correct, when it comes to donation grabbing, a large section of our politicians*are shameful, putting it mildly.

As you know we have fifty States.* Each state has two forms of government: The State is run by a governor and a state congress, made up of senators* and* congresspersons. In the Federal level, each state elects two senators*and a number of congresspersons based upon a population count.

The fifty States are roughly split between majorities*of Republican or Democrat, for example Texas is Republican, California is a Democratic state. Not many will cross over* for one issue.* There are people registered as Independent and can cross over and in many incidents*enough to cause a major upset. The election of Jimmy Carter was a classic*example.

You have a good knowledge of the American political system, but as is common when looking from the outside you are judging the*USA by your own national political standards.

Other than this one observation I have made I stay away from UK and Oz politics, I enjoy reading them, but wouldn't dare voice an opinion..

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

Cheers, Rodney

9. Thanks N/A, David Robins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is looking like let's gang up on Rodney but really it isn't. You say a majority of voters both Democrat and Republican are in favour of gun control. I understand voters will not swop sides over one issue, ie. gun control. You have a Democrat President in favour of gun control. If I was a member of the Republican party the easy way to get elected is obvious. Support gun control. Those not in favour of gun control will have to vote for an Independent party (who will never get elected). Or how about a National referendum. We could advise on that.
    I read that at the recent NRA conference guns were banned from the venue.

11. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t have any time for political parties and their titles . We are supposed to live in a democracy where free speech is the big time all of the day. You can be a member of the Raving Looney Party, but yet being a member of the Communist Party is forbidden by law. I am by no means a communist but if I was I would expect equal rights to express my opinion the same as the Raving Looney Party. There was a period when a lot of Hollywood actors were expelled from the U.S. Charlie Chaplin was one of them , accused of being such. All this was put at the door of one man J.Edgar Hoover , who it was said even the President of the US was afraid to cross swords with. The same could very well exist in China or Russia today ,the general public are swayed by the media who always point their finger at the public head of state, who could very well be the puppet and others pulling the strings. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd June 2022 at 11:51 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rod
    According to our National news last night this was the 200th mass shooting since Jan 1st. Now on saying that does America ever have a referendum on a major issue say for example, Gun control, where every person votes yay or nay.
    Australia has them every now and again depending on the pressure on the Govt. The last one was on Gay marriage which passed, saving the Govt from any backlash if they had just passed the legislation themselves.
    Des
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 3rd June 2022 at 01:11 AM.
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what I see the USA is very different in so many aspects of life.
    Today in the news we saw a gun sale taking place.
    Hundred, if not thousands of all manner of guns on sale with young men maybe only 19 or so handling many of them.
    Big sign over the tables 'AMMO HERE, such events do nothing to say there may be a change in the way people of USA see the gun problem.
    While such sale continue it tells me there is not such an appetite for change.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marion #38

Perhaps I was unclear.* There are currently 3 million members in the NAR down from 5 million.* The Board of Directors is made up of 76 individuals who are members of the NRA.* When a vacancy occurs the 75 remaining directors nominate say three members to run for election of that vacancy and the members vote and the winner becomes a director.

Des. #41

Sadly, there have been 248 mass killings to date. The FBI had classified a Mass Killing as four or more dead.*

Re. referendums:* Not to my recollection on a national level.* Most laws are governed by the individual States. In the case of murder for example. An individual kills his wife, he is charged by his State.* A man kills a federal employee he is charged by the*Federal government.* There are other variants, if in the action this man crosses a state line in the execution of a crime he can be charged by the Federal government. There is both a state prison system and a federal prison system. And for a lesser crime, say, robbery with violence, there are fifty different*penalties levied by the fifty States, for example 10 years in one state and 30 in another. This*is just an example, not specific.* However, Federal law supersedes*State Law.

David. #39

David, there are probably a dozen issues that a Republican Disagrees from issues favorable to Democrats. Gun ownership is just one. The parties are equally split on immigration, welfare, Federal health coverage, foreign aid, war, there's many more, these are just off the top of my head, Guns are just one of many.

Some laws can be passed by a simple majority (each state has two senators so that's*100 voting) 51-49.* Other issues that involve the Constitution require a 60% vote to pass in the senate, guns are one. The Democrats would have to get 10 Republicans to vote with them to make the 60 votes to win, ain't gonna happen.

Polls claim that a majority of Republicans favor increasing the age of ownership of an AR-15 rifle to be raised from 18 to 21.* A number of them want the AR-15 to be totally banned.* There are some Democrats who also are in favor of allowing ownership of this weapon.

The same pro and con go for many issues that separate Democrats from Republicans. Welfare issues, foreign aid, participating in overseas wars, etc..

Johnno #42

I cannot explain how "Gun Shows" are allowed.* In the city of Tulsa, there is a gun show in a huge auditorium*at least three times a year,* The State I live in Oklahoma is probably the most free and easy State for guns in the Union.* Here is a link:*Oklahoma Concealed Carry Gun Laws: SDAL & Reciprocity Map | USCCA(Last Updated 05/19/2021) (usconcealedcarry.com)* There is a growing movement to ban them though.
    As I have said, I don't own a gun, I don't want a gun. However I have friends who enjoy hunting but NOT with a AR-15, 40 shot or more semi-automatic. If there was a referendum and it was banning semi or fully automatic weapons*I would vote to ban them.* If it was for plain hunting weapons, I would vote for guns and the right to hunt, though I don't hunt.*

Across the United States there are plenty of areas where*hunting can take place and plenty of game.* As thankfully, unlike Europe, there are plenty of free trout streams, for me to fly fish for trout and areas near the coast for salmon too. I don't begrudge the hunters their* pleasures,

I'm sorry to be so long winded, but the questions you ask me cannot be answered*in a couple of words. I feel like you are asking me what the time is and I am telling you*how to build a watch. I apologize.

Cheers, Rodney

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/ok-gun-laws/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast