Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another school shooting

Strange Des. My first visit to the States was to Galveston too. Aboard my Shanghai ship, Burries and Marks La Cumbre.

Cheers, Rodney

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johnno #9.

Your correct about Switzerland having the highest gun count per head, however the number of guns is distorted. All males are subject to the military draft at age 19. Men and women can volunteer at age 18. Those conscripted are in the reserve until age 34 (Some until age 50).

Swiss law dictates that all conscripts, while in the reserve, must keep all issued clothing and equipment (includes issued guns) stored in their homes. This accounts for the high account of Swiss gun ownership.

Cheers, Rodney

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John P. #10

John. The FBI is looking into the possibility that the perp told someone. If he/she did know ahead of the time and that person did not report it to the authorities, that person will be charged as a accessory and the penalty is years in prison.

There's going to be quite a lot more coming out. The FBI are also investigating all branches of the authorities in the Texas town as the story has been changing almost by the hour from factions trying to cover their collective asses.

Rodney

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure on the actual figures, but i do know that in South Africa these days and for quite a few Years past, the Gun count per Person is at present very high, most all carry Firearms with them now, and the ammount of Women is big on the increase !

However although there is no doubt that the Fatal incidents are also quite High there, as i know of there have been no mass Shootings such as in the USA, but i stand corrected!

But i too am against having Guns in the Home or on my Person, as even if one is not of the sort that is Trigger Happy, there is always the chance that one may use it in haste!!

But its hard in Countries such as the ones stated, as one never knows when or where you may need a weapon??? What a dilemma!!

Even in my own Family Circle, i know for sure that these days My Sister, My Niece and her Hubby, my Nephew and his Partner and quite a few others in SA, carry Guns every day.
    When i was on Holiday a few Years back , i also noticed that they all at night had their Weapons put snugly under the Pillow or very close at hand ! What a way to go to sleep! Not for me any longer thank the Lord! Yes in the past when living there i too had to have one !
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 Most of the older ones on this site will remember Uncles and elder brothers ex army coming home on leave , complete with rifle and bayonet during the war years . What good is an unarmed soldier during an invasion which could have happened at any time.? Their army great coats were also useful to those family’s who had been bombed out and handy to use on the bed as an extra blanket. After the war , all the time I lived in the uk I never even saw an armed police officer violent crime was that rare. Hollywood and Teddington Studios had a very unsavourily affect to add to the disallusioned copiers of crime and how to get rich mental theorists. The only defence where the likes of Mary Whitehouse and her battle for censorship and more morals in society, she was sneered at by most “ I want to be free to do what I please citizens” . All factors to be taken into consideration when trying to find the answer the question What went wrong ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i think i would own a firearm out in america but for protection its a sad situation out there but firepower is a must?jp

11. Thanks Duke Drennan thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did that young murderer buy his gun on line or from a gun shop? Regardless were he bought it the seller should be dragged in and asked did he think it was a suitable weapon to sell to an 18 year old child/boy but certainly not a man.
    I do not know what the weapon was but certainly not the type used to go hunting Rabbit or other game for the pot.
    I see Trump was spouting off at the NRA meeting , reading out the names of those murdered. The very same man who encouraged the storming of the Capital building, refused to accept he had lost an election, that man is a basket case.

13. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John re #17

I have lived in the States since 1962. As I have said I have never owned a gun or felt the need to own a gun in 60 years. I have lived in California, New York, Connecticut, South Carolina and Oklahoma, that's in the North, South, East, West and Central United States. John, you have a share of deaths by knife in the UK, I must assume you feel the necessity of carrying a knife for protection when you vacate the safety of your home, please correct me if my assumption is wrong.

I have only had one incident involving a firearm near me. A neighbor left a loaded handgun in his bedroom. His two sons found it and played cowboys and Indians, and then there was just one little cowboy left alive. And a family that must have suffered untold grief for the rest of their lives.

Rodney

15. Thanks Bill Morrison, N/A, j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The National Rifle Association, NRA, collects roughly $375million per year in dues from its members. After their overhead, a large percentage is donated to the political party that favors them (Republican) and to defeat the party opposed to them (Democrats).

Since 2010. the NRA has spent $148 million on Federal elections, almost all goes to Republican candidates that toe the NRA line and a few Democrats that favor gun ownership, plus they list favorable candidates to their membership come voting time.

$12.8 million was spent directly opposing and defeating Hillary Clinton.

They spent $11million campaigning against Joseph Bidon and donated $4.5 to Donald Trumps failed political fund.

A poll was conducted amongst members of the NRA. 59% said it "Was important that elected leaders of the NRA pass stricter gun laws." 22% said "It should be important that stricter gun laws be passed." 13% said" It was not important." 6% had no opinion.

However the NRA board of directors would never change, as they would lose the power they have if gun laws were modified.

As will not the votes of Congress change, regardless of how high the urge for sensible gun laws be made. The in-crowd would lose the money given by NRA and the other lessor gun associations, which in turn would lower their cash available come election time.

Because there is no change in the current gun laws, do not confuse the fact that the majority of US people want change but cannot get it, if the politicians will not bring a bill on to the floor it becomes a catch-22 situation. if you are a Republican and are satisfied with everything the Republican party does except modifying current gun laws, you would not switch and vote Democrat over one issue. and embrace, (in your Republican opinion) weakened national security, increased taxation re. medical for all; open borders for all who want to come into the USA, etc. etc. and change your way of life over ONE issue.

I hope I am wrong, but I see no change on the horizon.

Rodney

- - - Updated - - -

Doc.

After reading your post on gun ownership in South Africa, I'm glad I never jumped ship in Cape Town.

Cheers, Rodney

17. Likes John Arton liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rodney we also have a gun culture here its sad when you can be mugged by gangs in some areas i personally dont carry weapons at all but i think if i was young again and mixing with other people i would be for my own safety ? jp

19. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast