Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What's happening with P&O ferries

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What's happening with P&O ferries

Saw on our news today how the crew were told they were redundant.

It was done on the ship's TV via a Zoom message from the chairman, modern ways to get rid of you now.

John, that ferry may well still be going if you say 2016 was last time.
    Still a daily between the two islands as far as i know.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There must have been a bit more to it than that John surely. In 1986 they would at of least had 3 months wages in lieu of notice. ? . I know I have mentioned on here how things went backwards out here since I retired , as I said I got 3 months redundancy for 3 years service , where one got 1 month for every year. Today the last time I looked it was 2 weeks for every year. The uk was 3 months for any length of service. Out here was 1 month for every year of service.When I was made redundant after 8 years in uk , got 3 months pay. If had been out here would have been 8 months. Shows the difference between good and useless unions. 3 months pay here was at that time $ 18000 . For 8 months $ 48,000. As it turned out here at that time I never left the ship it was the owners who changed , they were made redundant . This refers to shipowners redundancy .The BSF redundancy was a complete rip of and various people have said what a complete waste of time it was , mine was 1100 pounds for over 30 years. So on my principles and tenets owe nothing to them not even a good bye. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th March 2022 at 08:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i believe the liverpool P nd O ferries have still sailed on there normal run to ireland .....i also read officers in dover have been offered 20 grand to re sign ..but dont know on what wage and 2 weeks on 2 off .......DVDS all sailing i believe ......so it appears no strike called but stand to be corrected ........wonder what wage ratings were on before the sackings ....and what time on off.....cappy

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about your old job on the Shields ferry Cappy that still open. Or no one wants it since the jungle went. ? Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

M. O. S Reports P&O owners owe pension fund £150m.
    Some new employees on less than £2 per day
    Vic.

8. Thanks cappy, j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    What about your old job on the Shields ferry Cappy that still open. Or no one wants it since the jungle went. ? Cheers JS
    got fed up with that john .....never new if we were coming or going......the skipper had more gold braid than a japanese admiral....he used to stick his head out the wheelhouse.....and blow his whistle shouting stand by .....as we left and standby as we arrived ...which got monotonous to say the least as the crossing only took five mins max.....and if there was a stiff breeze his hat blew off........cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: What's happening with P&O ferries

So,reading yesterday's Daily Mail,I noticed the difference between the two Union 'barons' over this saga.Obviously they are both on our side and work for the same objectives and protection of their members ,but what a contrast .Mick Lynch, of the RMT has embraced direct action as pursued by his infamous predecessor Bob Crow. I despise that policy-it has brought chaos to our capital earlier this year by bringing the Tube network to a halt and interrupting many bus services .By contrast Nautilus comrade Mark Dickinson has said of strikes-"It is not generally what maritime professionals do.We prefer a collaborative partnership ,reasoned argument and fair settlements as a reward for our professionalism ".
    And "Hear,hear ",say I.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It would appear there is a memo circulating in Whitehall.Recipients are said to have included the Prime Minsters private office & the Transport Secretary Grant Shapps received a copy the day before the mass sackings. Well one would assume P&O have got away with it. They are offering senior officers their jobs back again. They will get the redundancy package on offer. They are also supposed to be being offered a £20k resigning bonus. So the ones that have been chopped are the junior officers and ratings. The article was disclosed by Sky news stating the source as the Times newspaper.
    Last edited by James Curry; 20th March 2022 at 11:50 PM.

12. Thanks j.sabourn, Graham Shaw, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham
    what sort of opium is comrade Dickinson smoking?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The MNAOU or NUMAST and whatever one calls it now , was never considered by most to be a Union Des, even though the term appears in their description. It was more of an insurance company. More in line with the MIN ( member of the Institute of Navigation) or the MNI ( member of the nautical Institute) the engineers had their own institutes or whatever one wants to call them. I also was a member of the MNI or MIN for a short period of a few years , until I found when I put an article for publication which was very objective , they refused to print saying it might upset the Apple cart, so I left. They were an old boys club. Numast or their new name now diversified more into the lines of a job finder at one point, but they were good for insurance and the likes. But were also very reluctant to speak out against government policy. You will find that a lot of the nautical Associations have a lot of foreign members who are there mainly to get letters after their name, which to those who know mean nothing at all , only that they pay to do so. That is what some of the unions are today , tigers with no teeth. Notice I keep trying to get the conversation back to teeth,must be because I lack them . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st March 2022 at 12:42 AM.
    R575129

15. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Timothy Bayley thanked for this post
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast