Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Floods

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Floods

There are some who say Climate Change is to blame for the floods, wonder if Noah thought of that?

There is a senior climatologist in USA, who has written numerous books and papers on the subject explaining in simple terms how we are being taken for fools by many scientists'
    Her name Judy Curry, have a read if you are interested
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des our PM is huge on rhetoric and absent from any action as usual. Lets face it we have had nine years of this noalition and what have they come up with? Bugger all that has advanced this country and can see another three years of the same old style. Good article on the box that backed up our mate in Vic who denies anything to do with climate. Said that these events are not out of the ordinary just that they are occuring more frequently and more severe every time due to climate change. There are questions being asked about that disaster fund that was started years ago that they seem to be hanging onto even though it was for a rainy day. Not to mention allocating billions for subs that will be redundant before they are built. Can not see the logic of them. Would it not be better to build ships that can be used in peacetime as well as in defence where as a sub is strictly an attack type vessel and nothing else. But then I am only a hairy arsed deck hand so what would I know about logic. Next time you fill up your car with the high priced fuel in the world just think of the extra revenue that the gov is raking in with the exise tax on it. There is a call to them to freeze that tax but still getting heat from below so hell has not frozen over just yet lol.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was an aboriginal with a PhD on TV last night, he was asked the very question John is asking, why build on a river bank, he laid out all the fors , Aboriginals lived there for food and water, Australia at one time being the driest land, when the white man came they followed suit, they have experienced floods before and recovered, BUT, nothing on this scale, there are hundreds of towns built near rivers, that is not an Australian concept, look around Britain or the States, France, it is the same.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Correct Des. last year in Germany a towns built in similar region of flood plain went the same way.

But some people do not fully understand how things work.
    Fuel exise is set at 45 cents per liter no matter the pump price, with workers working from home gov is getting less revenue and GST from lower fuel sales.

AS to the Subs, it is not the gov who decides this, it comes from the Department of Defence run by the public service as is all major departments, the gov is only the window dressing for them.

All major spending is done on a triannium costing, that is a three year period usually two years ahead.

A change of gov may well eventuate this year but there will be little change in overall conditions.
    Treasury still holds the purse strings.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just found an article on the net regarding the floods.
    According to the writer the cabinet of both NSW and Queensland were advised of the possibility of floods at the end of the summer as the La Nina system phased out.

Why did they not prepare for such then?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My youth such as it was , 1939 -1946 Kingston on Thames as near London as dammit , especially during the blitz.
    1946 - 1953 Whitley Bay, Northumberland .
    1953 -2002 all sorts of funny places , found the world wasn’t flat after all , so didn’t fall off the edge .... Yet. ! Home is where the heart is or wherever you want to make it, however at present would not recommend the Ukraine . JS
    This was in answer to #44 in Bribery and corruption at sea , so how it’s finished up in floods still trying to find out. JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th March 2022 at 07:48 AM.
    R575129

10. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

J.sabourn; so there is another kingston boy made it out to oz as I too was born 44 in kingston but ended up on the isle of sheppey around 57. Do not miss those cold winters one bit. Was asked? Why did I jump ship and stay here. Answer is simple? If I am going to end up on the beach I am not going to be bloody cold as well
    Last edited by Les Woodard; 12th March 2022 at 03:35 AM.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too right there Les.
    Remember the winters in UK, the one in 1963 was one out of the box, a bloody big cold box.

There have been a few other bad ones since i hear, they are welcome to them.
    When it drops to 12 degrees here, that is far enough.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#38 Lived at 12 Richmond Park Road Les and went to St. Luke’s Church and was a choir boy where I learned to hide behind a cassock and surplice. Last time in Kingston was in 1991. Bentals was still thriving , but some strange looking people there now. I wasn’t born there as was born in 1937 just slightly missing 1936 as was delayed according to my mother , so must have been daydreaming as usual. Was born near Iron Bridge closer to Wales than Kingston or Newcastle on Tyne. Think my grandparents couldn’t afford the train fare back after completing the Jarrow March. Last time in your own Newcastle was about 1974 where we lay alongside the tank cleaning berth either before or after coming off the Kiwi coast one of J.I.J .s the Laurelwood . Used to think all aussies sounded like cockneys , so you would of had a good start . Cheers JS
    R575129

15. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4