Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Floods

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Floods

This was a few year ago in Luanda, Angola, watermain burst and washed away part of the road and the pickup driver thought he was driving through a puddle. I like the locals helping themselves to the water.
    Luanda.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Speaking, as I do, with my friend from the weather department about the floods in Queensland and NSW.

There has been no comments from the GREENs who all thought would scream, 'global warming'.
    But as my friend tells me, the increased precipitation is the result of two consecutive years of La Nina.

He also explained about humidity saying that 100% humidity is precipitation, or rainfall as some prefer to call it
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was watching the News on the most recent Floods around and must say they are terrible. The Manly Corso which is a very busy Walkway from the Ferry Terminal down along the Shopping Centre to the Beach Area had a terrible Downpour and was absolutely Flooded with water rushing down the Walkway, not seen before, caught everyone by surprise!
    At one School they showed the Children looking out their classroom Window just to see Cars Floating past them, what a sight for the Young ones there and so frightening!

Here near Blackheath, a Big land slide at Katoomba cutting the Road between us and Katoomba, also shutting down the Rail Line.
    This was also not expected and left my dear Wife stranded at Parramatta, she had to phone my Daughter . My Son in Law went to Pick her up and she has been there for 2 days now, as there is no way home at this time.
    Hoping Today will ease the Rain a bit and also that possibly they may be able to repair the Rail Line in time for the Week End.

Thousands of Residents Evacuated from many Suburbs around Sydney , i have not seen this much Rain or Floods since coming to Australia in 1980.

We had a bad one a few Years after we arrived, but no where near this extent! So here i am at home stuck and all alone, with my Doggie! Ah well thats life , and Thats all Folks as the Bunny would say! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon.
    Had to go down to Bega, nearest Spec Savers, as i am fed up with the person the Cooma, don't know if you have been down Brown Mountain? but it is a 2,000 feet; steep winding road, it rained all the way down and back, but not heavy rain just that light misting stuff, I couldn't have done it, my son drove me down. WE have been lucky so far with no flooding.
    Hope your wife manages to get home soon. I was thinking she could go around the back way but the Windsor roads are flooded.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des
    Thanks , seems that the Great Western is again open and that they now have Busses from Penrith to Lithgow stopping of course at Katoomba and Blackheath, so have just heard from the WIFE who is at Wok, she is leaving a bit early Today and will catch a Bus now from Penrith Home, so should be back later on. Fingers crossed! LOL
    Yes driving on some of the Roads now is not safe at all, and one must take care!
    Glad that you at least have not been too impacted there in Cooma!
    Take Care as well mate
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Vern it seems that you are a lucky bugger getting the sheriff back home before running out of plates to eat of lol. Was on the news today that the amount of rain that has fallen in sydney is equal to a full years amount and we are only in March and this is a record amount ever since records where kept. As they did not record them when Noah was around. Maybe our mate in vic will find someone that will refute this claim. Glad that most of us are safe and dry but feel for those that are not. How are the lawns going for everyone as mine is powering along with all this rain and manure coming out of Canberra. Think it is about time to give the flick to Scotty from marketing. As the Queen was heard to say and never a truer phrase was said? They are all talk, talk, talk and never do,do ,do
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was quite interesting that the Premier of Queensland said at a recent interview about the floods,
    'This is mother nature and there is nothing we can do'

Happened some 50 years ago according to some records.

See now the NSW premier is asking residents not to rebuild in flood plain regions, makes sense when you think about it.
    Two weeks ago up on the Murray in Echuca/Moama.
    There is a water level post there showing high water levels from 1840 onwards.
    The highest recorded there was at about 20 meters in 1859.
    There have been many others from that level down to about 10 meters.

1970 is one of the highest at about 15 meters with the latest being in 1991 at about 15 meters.

So high water levels brought about by heavy rains is nothing new.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 9th March 2022 at 05:58 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The water in the rivers here are 20to25 meters above the normal, that has never been recorded before.
    The PM was welcomed by placards that read $70 Million for Ukraine nothing for his own people, he said that every adult will get $2,000 each
    he didn't say, to save being lynched, not to spend all at once . 1,500 house completely destroyed, so no hope of those people getting a house in the near future. They have to wait until the people who lost their homes in the fires two years ago get theirs, they are still waiting for help, the $50 million collected for them has been put into a fund to buy new fire equipment.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

13. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As one gets older, I wouldn’t say one gets wiser , but one gets to see mankind in parts of its evolution more so. Politicians at an earlier date looked upon themselves as a ruling class and had free rein to do what they said had to be done , over the years due to modern communications they have had to be more apparent to match up with their words. To do this they have to act like film stars and other public celebs. and always looking for photo cues to advance their hopeful popularity. Before all the recent calamity’s which all require monetary assistance , all they ever talked about was the official country debt , and all the new legislation they had changed . One never hears a mention today , or very rare , so can only assume who ever is in power when things get back on an even keel , if it ever does, we are going to hear such a bewailing of lack of money as has never been heard . I just hope they don’t start taxing the old age pensions , like they did in the past, at least they did with me. Whoever wins the next election is going to have enough excuses to cover their future mistakes , they will never be off the front page of the daily rags. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, easy to be wise after the event.

But the main question is why did they build on flood plains?
    Insurance quoted for a house in such a region was $28,000 per year, who can afford that.
    Insurance companies will not cover such regions as they know what happen, and it did.

There is no easy answer, bit like those who build in high bush regions then get caught in bush fires, not the fault of the gov, state or federal.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast