Here is another one, curtesy of G Captain

https://gcaptain.com/viral-video-wav...ws-in-germany/

Bob

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rogue waves

#11 That was one of the problems evinced with the Gulf of Mexico supply vessels converted to safety vessels in the North Sea , were the wheelhouse windows had to be strengthened and they found this out by actual experience first as usual .What used to worry me most of all though were the funnels which sprouted from the main deck and not at a higher level as on other ships built for the trade. Usually the only ships that stayed out there in bad weather with the rig or platform were the safety boats, the rest of the shipping running for the land or a safe haven. All now just a bad memory , not the time I want to stand still at, prefer Yokohama and the generosity of my hosts at the shipyard even though it wasn’t the top grade stuff. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It all seems like a dream now but i know it was true. This is an excerpt from "My days at sea" We passed through the Panama Canal, and out into the Atlantic Ocean. In the pacific God had shown us his wonders. We were about to experience his power. Our ship was built in 1945, the year I was born. We were both 18 years old, and about to find out what we were made of. Our ship’s holds were full of cargo; the fore deck was stacked with 44 gallon drums of mineral turpentine, all lashed down under cargo nets. I was helmsman on the midnight to four watch, when the storm hit us. And I knew God was angry. This was to be a lesson I would never forget.

The motor vessel Port Brisbane was 18 years old; she was 7’492 tons unladen, and we were loaded to the gunnels. About 15,000 tons gross weight. And she was about to get the hiding of her life. It was 70 ft, from the water line to the bridge deck; on top of the bridge is the monkey island - that is where my watch mate Tony would normally have been keeping a lookout for shipping. But not tonight, tonight, Tony was on the bridge with me and the skipper, and all the ships officers, and we were all praying. We took the waves head on, and they just kept coming, 80ft high, right over the bridge, to crash over the monkey island, and spew over the after decks. We took turns on the wheel, two at a time, all we could do was to keep her head on into the waves, no hope of steering a course tonight, just keep the bows straight into the solid wall of water that pounded our little ship without mercy. Its times like this that we are truly humbled, when we see God’s power in all its glory.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Rogue waves

Mark Sewell #13.Just for accuracy:-
    Your PORT BRISBANE (182957)was a little bit younger than you Mark !--built on the Tyne in 1949 .A fine looking vessel.She carried on in service to 1975 with Port Line.
    [An earlier Port Brisbane (147563) had been built in 1923,but she was scuttled after enemy action by HSK 5 in 1940.]Port_Brisbane3-1949.jpg

INFOLINK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

said this before how would one of thees floating wedding cakes hold up to a rouge wave? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Coming back from the Hudson Bay one trip and just South of Iceland and just coming up to dawn I was busy looking for a couple or 3 stars to get a fix. The ships movements seemed to be quite normal but going out on to the wing of the bridge looked astern and was definetley shaken and not stirred to see the height of the following sea ,if we had pooped one it would of been the last thing we ever saw and was always the danger with the conventional cargo ship. I think my heart stopped beating a few times getting her round and nose into it. Think a lot got thrown out of their bunks doing it , and got no thanks for probably saving their lives JS .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that pic Graham, now that is what I would call a ship.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks Graham Shaw thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going through the Great Australian Bight in heavy seas.
    So bad that for four days no one allowed on deck.
    Only cold food served, too rough to keep pots on the galley stove.
    Wave so bad we thought at times we were in a submarine.

See some bad storms hit UK last night, hope all are OK
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    Mark Sewell #13.Just for accuracy:-
    Your PORT BRISBANE (182957)was a little bit younger than you Mark !--built on the Tyne in 1949 .A fine looking vessel.She carried on in service to 1975 with Port Line.
    [An earlier Port Brisbane (147563) had been built in 1923,but she was scuttled after enemy action by HSK 5 in 1940.]

INFOLINK
    Thanks for that Graham: What do they say? don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story. All these years and i thought the Brisbane was port lines first refrigerated cargo ship built in 1945. Thats one good thing about this site we can always learn something new. It's amazing when i look back at events in my life that i truly believed and then look at my discharge book and realize they could not have happened. By the way do you know what happened to the Port Brisbane i would hate to think she was scraped after only 26 years.I have a Toyota Land cruiser i have been driving around Australia for 30 years and is still going strong.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th February 2022 at 05:57 AM.

12. Likes Doc Vernon, cappy, Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Rogue waves

Mark # 19.

I would say that almost every author's work has distorted the true facts in some way- either inadvertently,or because he or she has had a memory lapse and can't quite remember was it on the Romulus or maybe the Remus and was it nineteen canteen or the year nineteen pre-canteen that we rolled over twice in the South China Sea,and then found we had a huge pod of whales on the monkey-island,and the deck boy went missing after the roll ,only to be washed up onto the deck of the following tanker a short while later.His name? I.M.A.'Lucky ' B'stard.There are those who have to fabricate certain details in their stories-simply to make it seem less 'dry' and more entertaining to their readers !

I am sometimes guilty of that with my posts,not fabrication,but, finding the humour,even a snippet of it,and incorporating it into my post,but admittedly the facts of the story are almost always true, to the best of my knowledge -- it makes a fact-laden, often monotonous sounding post more interesting. You,as an author will know that. An author has either got it or hasn't got the knack. Some speakers are good at captivating and engrossing their audience with spoken words.I can not,and envy them-but I like to think I can do it with the written word.
    I'm also a proof reader ,and although that is a good thing,it can also often spoil my enjoyment of reading a book' as my eyes and brain are constantly ,sub-conciously I suppose on the alert for errors. For me ,noticing a glaring mistake,especially in a non-fiction ,reference type of book can bother me so much that I will completely stop reading that book-my enjoyment over. We're all different ! Quite often I will write to the publishers of a book pointing out the textual errors and suggest they find a more diligent proof reader- some reply courteously- and the one's who take umbrage don't bother !

Port Brisbane ,as per the Infolink was scrapped after 26 years service , parts and fittings no doubt now still being put to good use in junks and other craft-I would like to think.
    : 02/11/1975: Arrived at Hong Kong for breaking up by Loy Kee

Yes,Toyotas are good reliable cars,I have had a couple- ,those days of the 60's and 70's when we applied a two-word rhyming epithet to all Japanese autos -'Jap c--- ' are well and truly gone.
    Reader.gif
    Cheers !
    Graham
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 19th February 2022 at 08:11 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast