Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Visa credit card

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Visa credit card

The latest news on this, is Amazon will not be taking Credit payments from Jan 19, all supermarkets and traders will follow suit. There are already shops starting to display sign that they will not accept Visa Credit card, as they have upped the charge to retailers to 2%. I use Visa Credit card for most online payments, plus flight etc, and am fortunate to be able to pay it off entirely every month, so it won't affect me, but this will send a shiver through a lot of folks who use it, and are in debt already with the card. We will see how this plays out with interest, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Visa credit card

This is monumental news keith .......many folk live using credit cards ......it may help some to get in a better place without the debt constantly hanging over them ...but many will suffer from the stopping of spending power....the change in spending habits could be colosal.....and a hard time forthcoming for the folk who live on there cards to the hilt.....such is life ...cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are, of course, other pieces of plastic available.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    The latest news on this, is Amazon will not be taking Credit payments from Jan 19, all supermarkets and traders will follow suit. There are already shops starting to display sign that they will not accept Visa Credit card, as they have upped the charge to retailers to 2%. I use Visa Credit card for most online payments, plus flight etc, and am fortunate to be able to pay it off entirely every month, so it won't affect me, but this will send a shiver through a lot of folks who use it, and are in debt already with the card. We will see how this plays out with interest, kt
    Interest @ 29% pa.
    R635733

4. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, I would imagine the majority on this forum are in the same position as yourself and as you say we wont be effected by this hike. I stopped robbing Peter to pay Paul many moons ago, But the culture still very much exists mostly among the younger generation having said that i no of businesses' who use credit not every business gets there invoices settled immediately some have to wait for months and sometimes have no choice. This is not good news at all for many many people i think there should be a rethink on this decision the country is trying to go forward not backwards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Visa card has just about gone here in Oz.
    Most now are on Master card, the name Visa is rarely seen in any outlet now.
    American Express does well along with many company cards and Virgin runs avery good one.

But we do have a every odd one here, goes by the name of Latitude, run by a number of companies now.
    Many such as the big retailers use it and offer 60 months interest free.
    For many the chance to buy that\ way is very appeallng, so you buy a household lot of furniture and get it interest free over 60 months.

Just one small point, there is a $10 a month service fee. Only $600 over the 60 months.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only use Master Card on rare occasions , mainly use the Eftpos , and at times the Commonwealth Credit Card, but not often either!
    Weekly Shopping etc all done with Eftpos!

Cheers

Carry very little cash any longer, just a few bob for bare essentials !
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The main reason i use the credit card is that it carries insurance, the last time i booked a flight to Canada i booked with an airline called Zoom, incredible deal, so good they zoomed off into bankruptcy , so i had to book another flight with Air Canada, but by the time i returned to uk , my money from the Credit card company was back in my account, that is the reason i use credit cards for any reasonable large outlay. The big problem is of course , you are unable to pay it off at the end of the month, and then the 29% pa , kicks in. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For any purchase over £100 value it is always prudent to use the Credit Card (CC) as if anything goes wrong and you cannot get satisfaction from the supplier, just hand it over to the CC company and they are legally bound to get all your money back. I have always purchased my cars using the CC as a deposit rather than my exchange car and then paid it off the same month, but the CC is still liable to refund the full value of the vehicle if anything goes wrong. I believe, but not sure, that the same rules now apply to the Debit Card, but the Banks rather than the CC Company are liable, but good luck with that.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is only visa creditcards Amazon are not taking see below sent to me today from Amazon.

"Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases. Please update your default payment method now, or add one of these new, eligible payment methods if you do not have one."

The high fees are I believe 20P per transaction or so my local village shop has told me.

Got to admit I use a visa credit card for just about everything this has increased during Covid as many places did not want to take cash even for small amounts. For everything I buy online I use a credit card for the reasons Ivan states in his post above.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use the American Express cashback credit card.
    No interest, pay it off every month.
    Last year got £176 cashback, which is pretty good in my opinion.
    Happy Days everyone.
    Last edited by Graham Payne; 19th November 2021 at 10:59 AM.
    Graham R774640

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast