Thread: Shipping

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shipping

Cutting from this weeks International Express . Is it a Bridge too far or just too late ?
    " Ships flying the Red Ensign will be rewarded with a tax break. The treasury wants more firms to have their headquarters in the UK. Our tonnage tax will, for the first time ever , reward companies for adopting the UKs merchant shipping flag. The treasury also said it would make it easier for ships that help contribute to the UKs net zero goals for climate change -with cable laying ships for wind farms for example -to join the tonnage tax scheme."
    JS
    PS I say this as it says it can now do this as they don’t have to comply with EU regulations. I ask then why for my own edification wasn’t this done before entering the rat race of the EU in the first place , to at least make an attempt to preserve a semblance of British Shipping. Politicians have to take some if not a lot of the present conditions of the UK on their shoulders so should man up and admit the mistakes they make and let others judge them . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th November 2021 at 05:41 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shipping

I think maybe with the French threatening to block ports, someone has sent sense that without our own ships the EU could freeze us out, using that method. I have said many times, an island nation with no ships is crazy, we need to be trading withe rest of the world, and for that we need ships of our own, we are too dependant on others, kt
    R689823

3. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shipping

i think it would save ships laid up with crews abandoned by shipping companies going bump its a disgrace crews left high and dry in far corners of the world with no pay and cant even get home? jp