Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seamans mission

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamans mission

Those of you who have been to Melbourne may recall the Seamans Mission there.

It is a a heritage listed building which upsets the land developers, but no worries there.

The area is to be developed into a Sea museum and history center.

The connection with the city and the sea goes back to the time of settlement and it was at one time a ship building city.

Currently a number of exhibitions of ships paintings and artifacts have been held there.
    The building is old so much of it will be renovated to ensure it remains in good order for future generations to enjoy.

It will do all it can to keep the memory of ships and shipping over the generations.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seamans mission

Not a Mission but here in Sydney by the Hotel there where Montys is a good old Seamans Pub.
    Right opposite on the other side of the road is the Maritime Museum, lovely place to visit with lots of Artifacts and other goodies! A great place with also lots of Shipping History! Must keep that going as well, but think its safe as a Heritage place! ?

Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Those of you who have been to Melbourne may recall the Seamans Mission there.

It will do all it can to keep the memory of ships and shipping over the generations.
    John, I was in Melbourne in 09, I think, and saw this pub? called the Titanic, dunno what the link is and didnt have time to visit it, but looked quite intriguing?
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 20th September 2021 at 08:11 PM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always felt sorry for the Missionary who had to ttend each ship in port. We liked his box (library) of books he brought but embarrassed to discuss religion with him. Think he would have been pleased if he could have witnessed me praying the ship would once again heave herself up from being buried beneath a boarding heavy wave in a storm — that happened a number of times and sure it did for others !
    My worst Mission experience was having to attend the Valparaiso (Chlle) Mission (1954 ?) in full uniform because Princess Alexandra was visiting. Liverpool Nautical didn’t teach Ballroom Dancing so i made a mess of having to “Dance ?” With her. My best was a few years later in Colombo (Ceylon) when two female Missionaries took a van load of us up to Kandy to tour a Tea Plantation and The Temple of the Tooth. It was the best as i sat in the front seat alongside the driver who had great legs. She wore a silk dress and the breeze would raise the hem now and then. Have been a “Leg Man” ever since — my wife will attest to that ! Recently (2012) i was at the Singapore Mission that comprised of double stacked 40 ft. Containers and an exterior staircase. It had a bank of phones and computers along one side and loads of useful pamphlets, city maps and such. Everything was free even a beer ! I handed over all of my excess funds before leaving on each trip — very pleasant hosts too. Cheers. Keith Adams. Aka “Snowy”.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    John, I was in Melbourne in 09, I think, and saw this pub? called the Titanic, dunno what the link is and didnt have time to visit it, but looked quite intriguing?
    There are two of them, one is just a pub in the Port Melbourne area, was a different name some years before.
    The other in Williams Town is more of ae experience.
    You book in for dinner and the whole show from the time you board to the time you leave it goes through a number of events supposed to reprsent the sinking
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Adams View Post
    My worst Mission experience was having to attend the Valparaiso (Chlle) Mission (1954 ?)
    Jeez! you mean there was a mission in Valparaiso !! I thought the Skandi Bar was the mission, are you saying my crew mates mislead me?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the seamens mission, oops Sorry, Skandi Bar in Valparaiso
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 21st September 2021 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first experience of the sea mans mission was on my first trip to sea on the Br. Triumph went to Kwinana and visited the mission in Fremantle which was a shack on the beach serving soft drinks only but there was lots of young ladies who mixed with us and I managed to click with one, we arranged to meet the next day if we hadn't sailed she gave me a phone number to ring if that was so, luck was on my side as the dockers decided to take a day off I rang the number which was answered by a male who asked me to leave a message for her but when I told him we hadn't sailed and I would meet her later which was met with reply My daughter does not go on dates with sea farers CLUNK receiver replaced. Turns out he was the Padre of the mission. Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Not a Mission but here in Sydney by the Hotel there where Montys is a good old Seamans Pub.
    Right opposite on the other side of the road is the Maritime Museum, lovely place to visit with lots of Artifacts and other goodies! A great place with also lots of Shipping History! Must keep that going as well, but think its safe as a Heritage place! ?

Cheers
    Remember the Monty well and such an eyeopener for a first trip engineer apprentice. I thought that the footpath outside the doors had used red paving but it was just soaked in blood. Great memories.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

British Sailors’ Society - Barry Sailors Rest.

http://www.pwsts.org.uk/Barry1891-19...e5p481q8KGXjoU

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast