Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seamans mission

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seamans mission

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Metcalf View Post
    Remember the Monty well and such an eyeopener for a first trip engineer apprentice. I thought that the footpath outside the doors had used red paving but it was just soaked in blood. Great memories.
    Roger yes indeed that was in the old times and even a bit later too.
    But talking about Pubs just going back to another Thread the old Sloppy Joe Bar in Havana , was one such place as well in the old days , as even the Locals hardly ever used it, it was one sort of reserved for the Seaman and Tourists, but Oh! the poor Tourists ! They got the worse end of the stick most all the time ! One rough and ready place then!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Ivan ! Wasn’t there also a Bar named. Zeppelin or something like that ? Used to go ashore for a decent meal that would last me all the way home — Beef Steak a la Pobre ! PSNC ships were renowned lousy feeders in the early 1950’s. Think it was the “SANTANDER” with a London Deck Crowed who were so ticked off, when approaching Liverpool and doing the usual BS “which side too”
    Quickie white bulkhead paint job. Managed to paint “HUNGRY BASTARD !” In 4 ft high letters on our black hull in way of the midship house on the starboard side ! Was on full display to all the shipping offices as we swung about to wait to enter Sandon Half Tide Basin. Marine Supt, “Donkey Drops” that is Captain Horsefall, had a fit and wasn’t too pleased but he still held us off the entrance knuckle with his furled umbrella — he must have thought he was helping despite his rage. Why do i remember this stuff when i can’t recall people’s names i just met ? You guys are good for me, thanks for reading !
    Keith Adams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Montys was one of the best and you could find just about all you could want there.
    Girls, boys, inbetweeners, the lot.

But in Port Melbourne there was the London, now a block of apartments and that got very hot a times.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Adams View Post
    Hey Ivan ! Marine Supt, “Donkey Drops” that is Captain Horsefall, had a fit and wasn’t too pleased but he still held us off the entrance knuckle with his furled umbrella —
    Keith Adams
    Hi Keith, Zeplin bar rings a bell; Capt Horsefall (Keep her off the knucle Harry!!**)interviewed me for my apprenticeship, no problem, only later realised he saw in me (as in all cadets) as a working cheap labour machine because of my trawler experience. **Harry was the PSNC regular pilot. Anyway PSNC didn't see me for dust once indentures finished, all I saw at that time was deadman's shoes promotion, and lets face it you would never see the world staying in PSNC, which was the idea of joining the MN

7. Thanks Keith Adams thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is what some people our age cant seem to get in there heads going away to sea at the age of 16 yrs was never about financial reward i really did want to see the world, When most of us paid off with a few quid because you could save and always had leave pay we where one hit wonders loads of dosh in comparison to our land lubber friends but it never lasted forever, They would still get there weekly wage after your leave was up your pool pay while awaiting another ship was very little. Would i do it all again bet your life i would Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We held our Sydney Vindi reunions at the Monty, great pub.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc, Re:#13 post.
    I was in Cuba under both Batista and Castro regimes — heck of a difference ! Mostly due to US failure to recognize the desires and will of the general public which forced them into Communism just to survive. Still doing it today and wont take notice until China puts a foot in the door as in Greenland. Who pulled my chain !?
    Anyway, I remember the Dos Hermanos, just across the Embarcadero outside the dock gates — some pretty rough stories about that place. I mostly went into town to Johnnie’s Bar opposite the Capitol Building as it was way more upscale in every way and more peaceful. Used to buy a cigar and walk around with it (unlit) pretending to buy up statues and flash buildings — was that 5 pounds a year as a first year Cadet ?
    Used to take a $5 sub in Cristobal, buy a $1 Cubre Libre ? (Rum and Coke) at the Dog House Bar, go into town and spend a $1 on a pair of nylons and $3 on either a white Arrow shirt or a nylon blouse. Bought then southbound as may not get ashore north bound. Mother give me heck if arrived home without. The shirt was for me ! On the way back to the ship i would drop in at the American Red Cross to pick up a bundle of assorted American used magazines — they were great reading ! If it hadn’t been for my weekly 200 cigs draw that i sold in Guayaquil, life on Cadet pay would have been really miserable. Sold the US $ so earned, ashore in Peru and Chile, as the shipboard Embassy rate of exchange was four times less than what could be gained ashore. Keith Adams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry, going to sea at 16 came about for many of us who just wanted adventure.
    But the young ones of today, still at home at 25 with no ambition to move on.
    Many of the mothers also encourage them to stay, raising a bunch of no hopers I fear.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2