Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: HGV Drivers

Patagual....just inland from Coronel, Chile.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HGV Drivers

Hi Graham.... I agree entirely with what you say... "They've never had it so good" is a fair assessment. But hey!....The roads are a lot faster now and the loads carried by HGV's have increased dramatically. Yes...the cab conditions are a world apart from the 60's....Physically less demanding, maybe. But the sheer added volume of high-speed traffic: The many layers of regulations as regards hours & duties (Driving and "other work"....It's a minefield.) Add to that the obnoxious people they have to contend with....on the road and at their destinations!

I knew the hardships of HGV drivers in the 60's... I was only a kid...but I understood the "roping & sheeting" they did in icy weather...... Nobody envies that as a "Good Old Days" scenario.
    We've moved on. But as I said .... There is no excuse for abusing the drivers of today. They do a great job under ever-increasing pressures.
    It appears to me that HGV drivers do not get the recognition they deserve. The appreciation that they merit.
    Hi missus! Did you get your broccoli today? ..... a truck brought you that.
    Last edited by Steve Singleton; 2nd September 2021 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graham #37, my mate in UK does cars such as that up.

He sent a photo of 1950 Ford which he got for 10 GBP.
    Worked on it for some time and brought kit back to looking new, it was in fair condition when he got it. Think he said it has spent some time in storeage.
    Sold it for over 5,000 GBP to a collector.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Shaw, N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For various reasons i have performed a variety of jobs just to be able to maintain the our home despite economic conditions and the like. A few years ago i threw out all my log books but think it was late 1990’s i left the Air Cargo Industry and took up OTR (Over The Road) Big Rig 48 State truck driving for Arrow Trucking out of Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to the usual Commercial License Qualification Training i had to complete a 3 month driving experience with a Trainer before i was given my own rig. Straight Freightliner with a 48ft Flat Bed trailer. Being an ex seafarer i preferred Flat Bed as I get odd loads, all shapes and sizes and visit lots of offbeat, out of the way locations in the country. Steel Mills, Mines and Building sites — chained up for mud more times than i did for snow !
    I liked chaining or strapping up loads, just like deck cargo ! Was a real art in Tarping (Sheeting) but was heavy work. To me the worst problem was trying to earn $ at 25 cents a mile when stuck in traffic or behind slow car drivers who thought they were safer in my restricted lanes, especially in fog. Didn’t get paid for loading, unloading, tarping or waiting for a load. Took up Tanker Doubles (Benito Trucking) driving for a short while just to be close to home but quickly gave that up, despite the higher pay (Petrol and Aviation fuel). Noticed that the very few Tanker Drivers, Nation wide, involved in crashes rarely survived crashes that were not their fault. People cut me off lots of times or dropped into my safe braking distance. Took up hauling Mail with 53ft van trailers on the West Coast, San Diego to Portland. I really enjoyed those runs and drove the latest Freightliner tractors with Mercedes engines and automatic Transmissions. Became a real “Bobby’s Job”, especially in the mountains. I gave it up when i found out i could earn a lot more money at sea as an AB and get lots of paid time off — best food i ever had at sea. Quit when 78 due to injury — wouldn’t pass me as physically fit after, have been home 9 years this coming January.

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5