Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Madness

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Madness

Josh a Maharaj a Canadian, states that eating with a knife and fork is raciastand that children should be taught to eat with their fingers.
    According to Joshna, we Europeans imposed the the use of knifes and forks as we conquered the world.
    How long will it be the defacto status to eat with your fingers?
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Madness

Just use Chop Sticks then @! Or will they be pointed at something else!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was supt of a ship in Sydney (Oz) when the WWF ordered all stevedores off the vessel as the owners were too tight to supply knifes and forks to the crew. The reason some ignoramus stevedore had looked through the porthole of the crew's mess and seen the Bengali crew eating with their hands. It got to such a stage of being so ridiculous in trying to get them back to work, I had to contact the Indian Embassy (representing Bangladesh) to contact the WWF and explain to their members about country customs. We had already shown the WWF the crew messroom cupboards and drawers full of cutlery and cooking tools but they were not interested, even the Bengali crew were bemused by the ignorance of the WWF, this was in the 1970's

Those who sailed into and out of Oz in the 60's and 70's will know the number of tricks applied by the WWF to get their members a fulls day without actually doing any work, the most used one being rain money, especially down south. If it rained they demanded 'rain gear' if you authorised issue it they would refuse to work as by issuing rain gear you had admitted that it was raining and stevedores do not work in the rain, so they could then go home on a full days pay, don't issue you the gear and you will find that your vessel is short of stevedores on dry days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My time in FF ships never ever came across the WWF . We must have been a case too hard to bring to retribution .
    As regards unions in general re the NUS they were even barred from boarding some North Sea support vessels. I wonder why ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    That will be soup off the menu then
    The racism is from the originator, people only use knives and forks by choice; In many far eastern countries they still eat with fingers. I recall in 1990, working for a company in Birmingham, I visited a Balti restaurant in Sparkbrook, recommended as being the best - I was new to Balti so was not aware that you are expected to eat with fingers as they had no cutlery in the restaurant; the washroom facilities left a lot to be desired so the chances of getting food poisoning were enhanced by being unable to wash properly beforehand; so the experience was a real genuine Balti meal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    My time in FF ships never ever came across the WWF . We must have been a case too hard to bring to retribution .
    As regards unions in general re the NUS they were even barred from boarding some North Sea support vessels. I wonder why ? JS
    Guess you were lucky John,was on a British flagged ship less than a year old (1960) in Albany, we had to lower every derrick and produce a certificate fore very shackle, block, wire, guys,runners and topping lifts for each individual derrick.

On another ship FOC, had flown a brand new Linkletter accommodation ladder out to Cochin, last port of loading before arriving Fremantle, stevedores would not use it, had to send it ashore have it cut in half, braced and rewelded, get an 'Australian' certificate and they then used it. in the meantime hired the gangway from Port authorities used by the Queen on her visit, even they couldn't refuse to use that.

You could write a book about the WWF in that era and no one would believe you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I know Ivan have seen the maritime unions of old and know the lengths they went to , every block and shackle one had to produce the certificates of such and so forth. What my statement was That I had never had contact with the WWF which I assume was the world wide union people go on about for wage salary’s and such like of foreign vessels. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was 2nd mate on a brand new gearedbulk carrier, after sailing from the building yard in Japan, maiden voyage was to load steel coils in Wollongong, port Kemble. Upon arrival the WWF representative immediately said we would have to make modifications to the hold access ladders and also to the stand for the guideman directing the crane driver, we were using the ships cranes to load. We showed the rep the certificate issued by them stating that the ship complied with all their regulations. He was stumped for a second then looked at the date on the certificate and told us that the regulations had changed since the date on the certificate. Took 5 days and $25000 before work started loading 10 ton steel coils. Start of every shift there was a dispute, such as no hot water in the tea urn in the shore break canteen or the train driver delivering the coils to the ship did not blow his horn long enough to allow everyone to get clear of the track. Think we working 3 shifts with 3 hatches working at a time and the most we ever loaded in a day was 120 coils, not that we minded as we had time for nights out in Sydney and picnics in the blue mountains with friends of our chief engineer, an Aussie guy now living in the U.K. took us around 3 weeks to load.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    I was supt of a ship in Sydney (Oz) when the WWF ordered all stevedores off the vessel as the owners were too tight to supply knifes and forks to the crew. The reason some ignoramus stevedore had looked through the porthole of the crew's mess and seen the Bengali crew eating with their hands. It got to such a stage of being so ridiculous in trying to get them back to work, I had to contact the Indian Embassy (representing Bangladesh) to contact the WWF and explain to their members about country customs. We had already shown the WWF the crew messroom cupboards and drawers full of cutlery and cooking tools but they were not interested, even the Bengali crew were bemused by the ignorance of the WWF, this was in the 1970's

Those who sailed into and out of Oz in the 60's and 70's will know the number of tricks applied by the WWF to get their members a fulls day without actually doing any work, the most used one being rain money, especially down south. If it rained they demanded 'rain gear' if you authorised issue it they would refuse to work as by issuing rain gear you had admitted that it was raining and stevedores do not work in the rain, so they could then go home on a full days pay, don't issue you the gear and you will find that your vessel is short of stevedores on dry days.
    Got a nice long stay in Wellington, discharging 40 gallon drums of lube oil, slightest hint of rain it was down tools and disappear. Easy walk into town for a few pints.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would of come under the weather working days in the charter party Tony and no need for ships personel to lose any sleep over , except to take a brolly to the pub. JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast