Thread: National health service/ apologies to foreigners

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default National health service/ apologies to foreigners

That great national success for the care of the sick in the uk, paid for throughout the years by a ever increasing budget paid out of the personal collections from every individual working citizen of the uk, i now find that today the national health service apologises to all foreigners for not being able to treat their ailments, it seems the NHS thinks its not carrying out its duties of care because having to charge foreigners the cost of their treatment is stopping these poor people of seeking the NHS help when they are in need.
    tom

2. Thanks Red Lead Ted, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: National health service/ apologies to foreigners

Foreigners should be charged for treatment in the UK.
    There is a Big demand for Free medical treatment by "tourists"
    If we go sick overseas we have to pay, Make these pay. It is a NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE, NOT an International Health Service
    I had two operations in Hawaii in 2013, cost???? $85,000 around £65,000, paid for by my Insurance.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 11th July 2021 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife got charged on going back to see her mother . A 100 pound to see a GP and a prescription for cough medicine . If I had been there , there would of been hell on about it. Probably a foreign doctor as well . She also had a NHI pension card as well. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th July 2021 at 11:19 AM.
    R575129

5. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #3
    its a disgrace, the wrong people in this country are always victimised, i often watch a short blogs on youtube called debunked history, they are some times no longer than fifteen minuets and simon webb a author as well the presenter tells it exactly how it should be.
    tom

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bit like here in Oz, may from overseas get free treatment here.
    It is wrong as go to any overseas country and see what they charge.
    On a cruise some years back one passenger went to see a doc in Thailand just for what she thought was a throat infection.
    Turned out it was just that and gave her a script which was filled at the front counter for almost $100 Oz.
    I still have my NH card but so far have never needed to use it on trips back to UK.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I commented on this years ago: non-citizens (like me) should pay for medical service. I wrote about this years ago, here goes again.

On my last visit to the UK, my wife and I rented a narrow boat for two weeks. the heating unit packed in, while I was checking the pilot light, the damn thing back fired and blew soot in to my eyes. I was blind. we were tied up near a bridge and I had seen a bus go by. So I told my wife to take me up on the bridge and we could find someone to tell us where the nearest hospital was, Long story short. It was a Sunday too. We managed to get to a clinic. A doctor cleaned my eyes up. I asked for the bill and I was told no charge, I told him of you came to my country you would be charged. This was 20 years ago. I laid 75 pounds down on his desk and told him that was for drinks at Christmas for him and his staff, as that was what he would have been charged for the same treatment in the US.

The funny thing was, I had a National Health number from when I was in the MN, so technically as the UK recognizes me as having duel citizenship between the US and UK. I have no idea if it works that way between UK and Australia and other countries. It's not right, visitors should pay or have travelers insurance. P.S. what is even worse, I found out my wife, though a born American, was covered too!

Cheers, Rodney

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Foreign citizens to the UK, with the exception of nationals of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland, are currently charged 150% of the national NHS rate for any treatment they require. A GHIC card is useful to have if going abroad to EU countries, it might save you a few quid.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post