Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Singapore

I thought the main guy in Singapore was quite wise in his comments about China.
    He said they will always be there and we have to find ways of dealing with them. He indicated that we can't expect them to be like us.
    Better to work out ways to get on rather than be confrontational.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Singapore

Victoria, if you mean the Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong you are probably correct. He like the two previous incumbents of the position is a very astute politician. On a more cynical note the man is ethnically Chinese Himself with about 75% of the Singaporean population of about 4 million people being ethnically Chinese , it might be politically disastrous to say anything that is controversial. The other nations around the South China Sea in particular and the Pacific Ocean in general have their own reasons for disagreeing with His stance on China and their present political, territorial and trade policies in the region. Taiwan with a population ethnically Chinese of some 24 million is certainly the most vociferous of these through its Kuomintang political party. followed closely by the U.S.A and then of course Australia.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria, If you think about it he has no other option, China wants China gets. Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Singapore has either 3 or 4 official languages , English and Mandarin are two of them. They have all these languages used by various tv stations , I would think chinese is the largest group of the population.They if not the biggest pebble on the beach aren’t far off it . JS
    Myself I have nothing against the Chinese , let the politicians get in the ring and kill each other off.
    23 years ago I spent 3 months there , all the moneys I needed for the running of the ship was done through the Bank of Shanghai, so China has also money invested, where there are banks concerned always look under the carpet for riggers in the woodpile. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th June 2021 at 10:45 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would have thought the the greatest ethnic makeup in Singapore would have been Malaysian, then Chinese then Indian.
    I always enjoyed paying off in Singapore or dry docking in Singapore. Singapore is expensive now especially if you are fond of a beer especially were tourists go, Clarke Quay, Sentosa, Orchard Rd. The Orchard Road Hotel was the usual place I stayed. It was handy for the 4 floors of -hores a popular venue for those who wanted to sample the mysteries of the far east.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

louis the make up of the population is about 3 million Chinese, 545000, Malay, 362000 Indians and 129000 others who are resident Singaporeans with a further transient non resident population of at least another 1.5 million those numbers vary depending at what site you look. If you are talking about the infamous Orchard towers I think it had its hay days in the mid to late 80's with the Genievive bar and the offshore land club etc. The last time I was there in 2019 it was a shadow of its former self with a faux Irish pub as you go into the entrance on the left before going up the escalators and some aging Thai/Indonesian woman offering dodgy massages on other floors interspersed with a few Filipino eateries and not much else of note. I am led to believe that the other residents on Orchard road and the government would like to see the whole block redeveloped into something more akin to everything else in that part of Singapore. The area that is now becoming notorious for bars of dubious intent are all on or around Geylang road .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria, If you look at our twit of a PM when he was at a meeting of leaders? a few years ago the Chinese leader ignored him, thought Like I do that he is an idiot advertising man, since that day he has vilified the Chinese. Now he and his cohorts are more or less calling for war, many times has the word the Drums of War been uttered uttered by his ministers, if there is one say goodby to everything. He keeps saying we must keep the China seas open, they have never been shut, and most of Australia's exports are through that seas to China .
    Des
    PS saw him creeping up to Biden, but Boris intervened.
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Victoria Moss, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t like getting into discussions on politics but do believe in whatever a country has as laws should be observed whilst living in their terroritory. I will say though as an outsider looking in Biden would not inspire me with any confidence In his capability’s if he has any. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 Here in OZ we are so small in number by comparison it's really a bit scary. At least they are not just concentrating on us but we are very near. A lot of older Australians remember the bombing of Darwin and those mini subs in Sydney Harbour.
    Let's hope they think we are just a pesky fly that they might swat now and then.
    Economically we put too many eggs in one basket so they have had a lot of leverage. A lot of businesses have suffered as a result. Fortunately most have diversified to other Asian countries with our products so it hasn't been as bad as it could've been.
    I wish our Prime Minister would just keep his mouth closed and work more diplomatically, it's all about saving "face".
    Fingers crossed they will get distracted by what larger nations are saying and doing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a very interesting article in the weekend papers about China and Oz.
    Since the Virus showed it's head the amount of goods bought by China from Oz has increased by 32%.

But as to their position, they have a right to Hong Kong and will enact the laws of China there no matter others may say.

Our PM in UK for the G7 meeting was involved in talks with the other members as to how the China situation should be handled.
    All agreed it appears to take a stand against them.
    That in my opinion will do little to improve the situation.

We have a couple of good Chinese friends here and as they say China will in the end win out.
    The world needs them more than they need the world.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast