Thread: VIA Spitfires of the Sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default VIA Spitfires of the Sea

VIA Spitfires of the Sea

Utterly, utterly heartbreaking news from Platt's Eyot this afternoon, as the former Thornycroft yard and its listed boatsheds, built in the First world War for the construction of Coastal Motor Boats, has burned to the ground. This place was the origin of the Royal Navy's Spitfires of the Sea.

1 1 SPITFIRE.jpg

I hope that the houseboat owners have managed to extricate their homes from the berths alongside. I fear for MTB 208, one of only 2 surviving Vosper 70ft MTBs, which was being privately restored there.
    This is awful, awful news.

Update. I understand that MTB 208 and a Dunkirk Little Ship were saved in a nick of time, but another Dunkirk Little Ship, Lady Gay, has been totally destroyed. Some boat owners are hospitalised with smoke inhalation but thankfully there have been no serious injuries reported.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

2. Thanks Colin Wood thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: VIA Spitfires of the Sea

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    [B]
    I hope that the houseboat owners have managed to extricate their homes from the berths alongside.
    LINK: https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-...large-20518053

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 4th May 2021 at 02:27 AM.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque