Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Suez Blocked

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Suez Blocked

I see that our special shipping correspondents are saying that over 10% of the world's shipping is now affected with 293 ships delayed because of the Suez incident. Seems mathematics as well as ship description is not their strong point, as according to the latest IMO statistics published in 2020 there are 100,001 merchant vessels over 100grt registered around the world. Would be pretty crowded if we had 10,000 vessels anchored around Suez, bum boats would be rubbing their hands and Jock MacGregor would be rising up from the dead.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a question, do they still use searchlights on the bow of transiting ships,, Just wondering as I recall in 1956 being in one of the last convoy's southbound we carried the light to the gulf and then dropped it off in Durban on our way home around the cape....
    Stan..

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Last time I was through was 2012, even though the ship had her own Suez light they still put a canal company light onboard.

5. Thanks Stan Carter, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the last time i went through the canal ...i was second steward ...up comes a gyppo ..i want bread and cheese 14 men ....me very good bring me 15 men so i can see .....him ...some asleep ....ok all asleep no bread and cheese him ....ok you give me bread and cheese ten men ......me oh very good you bring 10 men...him you no bloody good second steward ....me ....you old camel shagger .....him ok you give me bread and cheese i get you jiggy jig .......me ...i dont like camels ....etc etc etc ....not the excact words but very near ....lol happy days cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ivan can she have any operation in the future perhaps to help her sight hopefully ...best wishes cappy

8. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea, vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marian, Cappy, I don't want to hijack the thread, but a trooper she is, amazing memory, because she will tell you word for word what you said even a month ago, although April will be a test as haven't physically been together for over 16 months. She knows no fear and at 5 years old was running along zip wires high in the trees in a forest adventure park near us, would she do it if she could see, I don't know; her parents don't stop her from doing anything she feels she wants to do and climbs tree with her brother 3 years older their father is a tree surgeon and they inherited his abilities. They won't give her a white stick, I think she should have one as other people don't know she's blind, but her mother is a Dr of Psychology, so must assume she knows what she's doing, and they are well adjusted kids. Will she be able to see in the future, we live in hope, but as she was born blind, its not a question of regaining sight, but science is having breakthroughs every day. She has very acute hearing, so if she gets too far ahead you shout 'Rose stop' she stops immediately. Somehow I don't think she will let her blindness inhibit her in anyway, be it physical or academic. Yes you bet I'm proud.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

everything will be fine ERI GELLAR says he will get the ship of by using his mind he bends spoons if it works he might run aground on the other bank? why is this man allowed out?? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sky news are still calling the Ever Given a super tanker, no problems then, just hook up a pipeline and discharge enough cargo to refloat her.,....yeah right on.
    The BBC, maybe due to cost, now just refer to her as the "container ship Evergreen".
    As an aside Evergreen have just placed an order for 20 new container vessels from Samsung heavy industries, no mention of their size though.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Lewis McColl Guest

I was just thinking back about the post and do they still put a Suez light onboard when going through the canal. They also still had two electricians that came with the light. I am sure those on site who sailed as Electrician will remember the tap on the cabin door and said Suez electricians introducing themselves , with the finger being retrieved from the nose and offering the hand of friendship to be shaken, followed by , I am your very good friend the canal light electrician, then closely followed again by do you have a present for me!!!! 200 Marlboro red and a box of Ever Ready batteries.
    How often did this Egyptian attempt at international relations rapidly fall on stony ground when sadly the reply from the Electrician may have been,get to -uck!!!away from my door.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As i posted before, i remember the light coming on board, but also the two boats, or was it one, being hauled on board with the boatman, cannot recall where we dropped them off. i do remember everything that was movable being battened down, they must have been the most efficient tea leaves in the world, kt

- - - Updated - - -

I also remember reading when the ships that were trapped in the great lakes when the Arab war broke out, when the insurance companies decided to write them off, and the last crew went ashore, it was described as an army of ants, with anything that floated, going out to the ships, and stripping them bare, kt
    R689823

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast