Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I foresee more Trouble a Brewing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I foresee more Trouble a Brewing

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    In @977 I was2nd mate on a new build geared bulk carrier loading steel coils in port Kemble (Wollongong) for discharge in Italy and France. . Deciding that we didn't like the joint anyway we left to find a more welcoming joint only to find all the other places were closing up so we called a day and returned to the ship sober and nursing our bruises.
    Definitely not too impressed with Sydney's night life!!
    Rgds
    J.A.
    similar thing happened to me in Schiedam, only I was trying to get out. A very large bouncer (I was 9stone wet through) put the bite on me for a tip, which was refused as I was skint, all went downhill from there especially as the 5/E I was with reinforced my denial by jumping up (I said the bouncer was BIG) and stuck the nut on him. I dont remember anything after that until I found myself outside on my back on the pavement with this big guy about to cave in my ribs then I was saved again by the 5/E running out and shouted "run" the bouncer hesitated and looked round so I up and legged it.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th March 2021 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I arrived at Beirut airport( 1970) I was assaulted by a "porter" who insisted on carrying my bag. I grabbed it back off him saying I could do that myself.
    He instantly grabbed it back and shot it right across the airport lounge! He looked at me then with an evil grin as if to say how about that.
    I played it cool waited till he turned to another passenger then proceeded to cross the lounge to retrieve my luggage and made a hasty escape.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12... I wonder how many think of it as the Beetroot Airport. I always remember their flag as the one with the Xmas tree on it. So maybe at Xmas time they have beetroot instead of cranberry sauce with the Turkey. England is always portrayed as John Bull with a union flag waist coat and a bulldog by his side. I wonder how far off the race discimination laws I am now at ? What a stupid world we live in . Maybe something there the dog objects to .JS
    This shouldn’t even be in this post and is only the mention of Beirut Airport that triggered it off. Remove if necessary.JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th March 2021 at 03:07 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JS I hired a taxi there for a day, quite hiliarious as he keep trying to ask me to his house for a kebab, assuring me his wife would be there....really???
    Naturally I declined so it was round his mates for all those tourist camels made of wood.....declined to purchase so then he gave up and gave me a good tour then.
    I remember I had some Rupees left over from India so I flicked down his glove box and exchanged them for US dollars. Most of those guys had a veritable bank in their glove boxes. Came from lessons learnt on my travels before. LOL
    Just remembered did buy one camel for my future mother-in-law she hated it but still had when she died. Probably couldn't give it away LOL
    Last edited by Victoria Moss; 10th March 2021 at 03:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I cleared out my small safe the other day and had a lot of foreign money , rupees , Chinese, Malaysian, and various others including $120 Canadian so decided whilst at the bank to change. No go apparently , the lot would only at best have been worth a couple of hundred dollars , but according to the travel bans at the moment no one is exchanging money and there is no call for it. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trouble brewing is right.
    Heard today of the latest items to be banned under the WOKE legislation.

Jumbo the Elephant. Lucy in the sky with Diamonds, Fat bottomed Girls by Queen.
    The List goes on.

In my opinion what should be banned is the looneys who come out with this crap and their attempt at social engineering.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know what I would ban.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have lived in the area for many years and seen the different phases the Cross has been through and never had a problem, I doubt it will go back to the days when it was not considered safe although the lockout laws have been lifted everyone entering a licensed venue on Friday and Saturday will still be subjected to an ID scan.
    The Cross like many areas in the ports we have visited during our career at sea is the sort of place if you go looking for trouble you will find it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wil agree and also disagree with last post/
    Although you may have lived there a long time and no doubt know the Area etc, it is not always the ones that get into trouble that go out looking for it
    No way i have seen and heard of many a good Citizen, not even under the influence that have been set upon for no reason at all. This used to happen regularly at the Cross Years ago before the Laws came in, and it got better after that.
    Makes no difference about the Licences etc, if these places are left Open to all hours there will always be people who go there at those sort of hours to get smashed!
    I used to frequent the Area Years ago when the place was good and then ther was little troubles around, it changed dramatically over the Years, just talk to the poor Doctors and Nurses at St Vincents.
    Cheers
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Victoria.
    Hope someone looked after that camel and took it to a zoo or someplace safe.
    Des
    Lest We Forget

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast