Thread: Pension

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pension

How is this for a pension plan?Our Governor*General has been forced*to retire after serving only a short time.She was accused of having a 'Toxic' workplace.This after members of her department*made several claims of harassment.Now for the good part.Her pension of $150,000 per year is for life.She can also claim $206,000 expenses*for life.Canadian taxpayers*are not happy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pension

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...nsion-for-life

Beauty, eh ? Hope this read ( above ) comes up. All I know is to qualify for my pension, I had to reach 80 points, a combination of age and years of service...

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only thing here is that you have to be of Pension age, no actual Qualify issues as far as i know.
    I got a letter just before my Pension age telling me that i was Eligible, it then just went into my account each Forth night , all i did was go down and sign a Form at Centrelink easy peasy!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon I was told when I came here in 1991 that I would only receive a pension on retirement if I had worked for at least 10 years in Australia. It is also means tested , I receive only a part pension as the miserable uk pension is taken into account. Hence my saying the uk could stick it if they want. I would then hopefully get an increase in the Australian one. Centre link insist as is government policy that you claim whatever are due from the uk. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes the 10 Year thing always applied JS. We came in 1980 and the 10 Year was no prob at all.
    I too at present get a part Pension, as the Wife is Full time at Work still (Wont give it away silly Lady) and yes the Mean Test is applied to everyone. Our income is below the Cut off Tier so no worries, so with the Pension and the Wages and now three Deposit Funds ,we are fairly well off, no debts etc. And her indoors also gets the same amount as me in Pension even though she is Working Full time . Great isnt it!
    Come on over Lads! LOL

Land of Milk and Honey!! And plenty of Money!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When we spent five years in NZ we made the mistake of transferring our Aus pension over to the NZ one, In NZ everything is taxed even the pension, on returning to Aus and going back on the Aus pension, we were told that over all in the five years in NZ we had lost $17,000 .
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des you are still way better off in Australia compared with the uk as Vernon says we are all well above the high water level compared with the uk. I feel sorry for all those early uk settlers who returned to the uk when seeing things were not like England with a pub at the end of the street . On my frequent returns for visits to see family I am used to it as know what to expect. The only real house of their own my parents lived in was a rented council house and my brother still lives there . I see the difference but those who live there haven’t , what used to be a vibrant working class community , could be any eastern bazaar as we used to know. You make your choice and are stuck with it. The living wage on my final days in the uk as a resident I won’t go in to , but believe me it was like a breath of fresh air arriving in Australia. Do it again , ? Of course I would , the only drawback is the family didn’t come as well , but that was their choice. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd February 2021 at 01:22 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Des those lovely people over in NZ have a double taxation system.

As to the Oz one, do ten years and you are in.
    If you receive a part pension from UK such as John and I do you lose 50 cents on the state pension for every dollar of overseas pension.
    You are allowed to earn $240 a fortnight before any loss of the full amount.

Not a bad system but yes it is means tested.
    But if you have a pension card, or a health card then there are the concessions on a number of utilities and others.
    Gas, Power, water, council rates, all get some level of concession, lower prescription rates, and often other concessions from various authorities such as public transport.
    Yes we do very well here in Oz.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post