Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The America's Cup

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The America's Cup

The America's Cup will beheld in Auckland N.Z. this coming spring. I have always had a fascination of sailing ships but this is some thing else. The British entry is INEOS BRITANNIA
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-54447635

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The America's Cup

Also love the Yacht Racing Bill and here especially watch each Year the Sydney to Hobart Race. The America's Cup is a Grand affair!
    So not long to go for both , will be watching again on the Box!
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great series the Americas Cup, always enjoy the spectacle.
    That one sure looks like something very special, hope she does well.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Eeh ba gum, bit different to sailing a lifeboat old chap, we judged its performance by putting in old gin blocks** in the bow to keep the bow down, seemed to sail better that way

** for you non seamen a gin block is a cargo block normally fixed to the underside of the derrick head through which the cargo runner passes through from its way from the winch to the cargo hook, they are quite substantial and heavy, especially when they have to be replaced when the derrick is in its crutch and the crutch is about 15/20' above deck level.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember Gin blocks, well sort of mainly gin box not blocks.

Effect can be the same, too much and the head can certainly go down, comes up in pian very often.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes John Blaney liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The most dramatic event had to be the Golden Globe round the world non stop single handed race back in the 1960s, nothing high tech, just
    pure seamanship, won by a merchant navy officer Robin Knox-Johnston (first mate I think). In the same race Donald Crowhurst on his catamaran went
    mad when he tried to cheat and was found out, as his log books proved when his boat was found with him missing. Knox-Johnston donated his prize money
    to the Crowhurst family. The frenchman, Motissier, (I forget his first name), rounded Cape Horn on the way back and instead of heading north, decided he didn't want to go home and just kept going. wonder if that race still happens.

10. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then Sir Francis Chichister sailed single handed around the horn followed next year by a guy who had the profession of green grocer I believe.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes thomas michael, John Blaney liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaney View Post
    The most dramatic event had to be the Golden Globe round the world non stop single handed race back in the 1960s, nothing high tech, just
    pure seamanship, won by a merchant navy officer Robin Knox-Johnston (first mate I think). In the same race Donald Crowhurst on his catamaran went
    mad when he tried to cheat and was found out, as his log books proved when his boat was found with him missing. Knox-Johnston donated his prize money
    to the Crowhurst family. The frenchman, Motissier, (I forget his first name), rounded Cape Horn on the way back and instead of heading north, decided he didn't want to go home and just kept going. wonder if that race still happens.
    hi john blaney
    the golden globe, i believe sir robin knox-johnston is our greatest known sailor todate, and the feat of his winning is obviously in the history books, for me he epitomises the character of that lone sailor crossings oceans with his then sextant and radio,and not much else but stores and whiskey,
    also as you stated crowhurst cracked up, and sailed off around south america whilst calling in back to his base radio with ficticious updates of his positions,( also he sailed more miles in his actual sailing than was necessary to cross the finish line ) but he knew that sir robin knox-johnson was leading and he couldnt win so he killed himself.
    and whilst i admire sir robin knox-johnson for his winning and also the fact he gave his winnings to crowhursts family.
    but my true and ultimate respect goes to bernard moitessier a frenchman i hate to say, but he will in my mind always be the true winner as he sailed past the winning line and sailed on to tahiti, whether he cracked up or not i do not know, but he in my mind was the winner.
    as for the golden globe it is held every four years the last 2019 was won i hate to say by another frenchman jean-luc vanden heede.
    the next one in 2022,
    tom

14. Thanks cappy, John Blaney thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, John Blaney liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Then Sir Francis Chichister sailed single handed around the horn followed next year by a guy who had the profession of green grocer I believe.
    hi john
    sir alec rose and his boat lively lady, wasnt a golden globe entrant but he wanted to beat sir francis chichesters time, so off he went.he also was knighted and was also suffering recovering from a breakdown when he went.
    the best anecdote from his trip is that the british goverment ordered a naval ship to give lively lady a lee from the building weather around cape horn, as it was blowing hard,i met the radio officer some years later whom told me the story, cannot remember the ship or the radio officers name, as we where both drunk.
    another anecdote is that a few years ago a good sailing mate of mine sent a message to me that he was recovering in hospital after a stroke and wanted to see me, so i got ready pronto and looked for something to take to the hospital for him, i grabed some grapes,and a book the lively lady , sadly i ate all except one of the grapes, so in i went and as i turned the corner to his bed the sight i saw left me in stitches, he had rigged up attatched to his drip feed a empty guiness bottle, so i gave him the one grape that i had left and the copy of alec roses lively lady, which i got back from him after he convalesced.
    tom
    ps
    the HMS LEITH was the navy ship id like to think i remembered it but i did not ive just looked it up on the internet.
    Last edited by thomas michael; 5th December 2020 at 01:18 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

16. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, cappy, John Blaney liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    The America's Cup will beheld in Auckland N.Z. this coming spring. I have always had a fascination of sailing ships but this is some thing else. The British entry is INEOS BRITANNIA
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-54447635
    hi bill morrison
    watch out for ineos british challenger sir ben ainslie, will take it for the uk
    tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast