Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Neil Young vs. Donald Trump.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Neil Young vs. Donald Trump.

It’s often smarter for a candidate etc to just comply with the artist’s wishes. The bad press created by a famous rocker bad-mouthing the candidate might do more harm to the campaign than the song is worth.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

David Bowie had the right idea spent millions on art treasure, Just like the catholic church both will never be skint. We could well be heading for a cash less world everything purchased by plastic, At least it would take the drug pushers of the street. Terry
    {terry scouse}

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Posting an angry tweet is easy and free. Filing a lawsuit is expensive and time-consuming. So the vast majority of the time, musicians’ complaints about politicians using their music don’t go anywhere. The goal of the complaint is more to send a political signal to their fans than it is to actually stop the use of their music.

K.

4. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All,
    I have read all of your comments with interest on this subject, and I am bloody angry, on every tape or CD that we have ever bought it states that to reproduce or broadcast it , without the specific agreement of the producer, will be deemed illegal. An artists work remains their work, we may listen to that work as many times as we may wish if we have bought the recording, or listen to that recording on the radio; that radio station will have paid a certain amount every time it is played.
    I can only agree with all the artistes that have spoken out against a misogynistic and racist thug that believes he can usurp the legal norms because he has lots of money, he is a F!@#$%^& barsteward, and a threat to democracy.
    Cheers, Paul.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des,
    If I understand you correctly you are saying that your interview, which was widely broadcast, was yours. Unfortunately it was, and is, the property of the broadcaster, they can use it as many times as they see fit. When they asked you for your comments did you ask for a contract? Did you ask for an exclusive media outlet? Did you ask for editorial authority?
    I suspect that to all of those questions it is a negative; you were trying to put your valued views across, this is hardly in the same league as a songwriter that may only write a few groundbreaking songs in their entire professional life.
    Cheers, Paul.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    David Bowie had the right idea spent millions on art treasure, Just like the catholic church both will never be skint. We could well be heading for a cash less world everything purchased by plastic, At least it would take the drug pushers of the street. Terry
    Terry mate, they use the card to line up the Coke to sniff, so cash may go but never the card!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes N/A, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They still depend on little drug runners John, And the big boys rely on money launderers, A bag full of bank notes could well be of no use to anyone in a few years Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the sixties I wrote a fictional novel. I had an agent interested in representing me, she had read a story outline I had submitted to a friendly publisher who forwarded a copy to her.

Before she would meet with me I had to register my manuscript with the Writers Guild of America East. (In NYC) that organization mainly represents authors of books.

She managed to sell an option to a movie production company. I had to write a what is called a treatment, describing the story in 9 to a dozen pages. Less is best, as people in Hollywood have a very short attention span.

I had to register the treatment with The Writers Guild of America West. This handles movie screenplays and TV screenplays. I was engaged and paid well to write a first draft screenplay. Which was a movie version of an 800 plus double spaced, wide margins manuscript in less than 120 pages, again wide margins and more like triple spaced. Probably like condensing those 800 plus pages down to 35-40 manuscript pages (equal to the below 120 page screen play). Each step of the way had to be protected against theft or infringement.

Self publishing is a whole different game and usually a self published author must still protect his/her work even though 99% end up with boxes of books in their garage.

I wasn't interested in that I wanted to be paid.

I had an offer for book publication from Popular Press, and a heap of rejects, some nasty. I just put it down to "Those that can do, those that can't, teach or become publishers."

I wrote two other screenplays and again sold an option for one. All together I made a very nice piece of change in addition to my day job

The protection you have to do and pay for is well worth it, because you get paid for everything you do, every step of the way.

In the case of movies the writer gives up pieces of his/her property as it moves up the chain towards first day of shooting. Of course depending on the conditions of the contract.

In my first go. My agent got me a small percentage of the income, and had it been made, and had it been a good movie, with lots of "bums in the seats." Tickets sold. Plus income from foreign rights, TV etc., it would have been really big money. I lost many a nights sleep "spending the money that was going to roll in." but alas, it didn't, but I did alright, no complaints.

I had considered to give it a couple of years try, to see if I could do writing for a living. But with a wife and three kids? And then my day job career took off and professional writing was a thing of the past.

Cheers, Rodney

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Even your post in this thread was an interesting read, can imagine from this and what you
    have said, you could produce some quality writings.

Best of luck.

Keith.

13. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2