Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I think someone needs Spec Savers!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I think someone needs Spec Savers!

How on Earth can this happen, surely they could see it coming!

Need Spec Savers! LOL
    cHEERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRvy...Dplgqv2bH2%3A6
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I think someone needs Spec Savers!

Wow, will be interesting on the thoughts here, on whose fault it was, they both appear to be mid channel, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 Doc, on a ship you can see a collision coming but are helpless to prevent it, all you can do is try and mitigate it, but alas you cannot apply the brakes, and there comes a time when the law of physics takes control and the 'mass' is unstoppable, also two vessels approaching each other are sucking water from each other and drawing themselves together like a magnet, in most cases you can overcome that magnetism by avoiding action, but sometimes you cannot. The investigation is already underway, lets see what transpires. In a lot of canals you are forbidden to drop the anchor which may slow you down, as the anchor may foul essential services/pipelines/cables and the damage to those would be more severe than damage to ships and involve the ship operators in multi million dollar law suits, or as is the fashion these days also result in the Masters been jailed for years for damage to Govt property.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is very similar to a post of mine between a vessel I was on and the Ruys a Dutch passenger vessel in the north Channel into BA. Only difference however we were both on the right hand side of the channel as is the normal practice of seamen.They both appear to be starboard bow to bow , whereas we were port bow to bow . There is also possibility as Ivan says appearances can be deceptive , could be touching the mud and losing steering or interaction and attraction due to the dynamic forces existing. People on board those vessels will be the only ones with a clearer idea than anyone else. JS

In my own instance in the Channel before our catastrophe we were meeting opposite vessels in mid Channel as that was the deeper water, then at the what would could say the last moment both vessels going hard a starboard and full ahead on the engines , had worked the previous passing of two ships , but the third and last one the Ruys was the exception to the rule. There are always calculated risks at sea , things are not always perfect , try telling that to a Safety man. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th July 2020 at 10:30 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

looking at the clip again, the Forence Spirit seemed to be on the correct side of the channel, and takes late action to avoid the collision, attempts to switch to the other side, could the other vessel have restricted vision due to its cargo of pipes ?, just the observation of a non professional navigator, kt
    R689823

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5 Keith, the bridge was well above the deck cargo, so line of sight not affected, the Florence was deep draughted and may have sniffed the bottom and been thrown off course and if the pilot had given a further boost to the engines to bring her back on course then he may have caused squat as the vessel surged forward, thereby deepening the draught and bringing her back may have been compromised, who knows only the inquiry will determine, we can theorise as much as we want, but only time will tell, accidents (or incidents as they are now called) will happen. Both vessels were carrying pilots and they were in a narrow part of the channel where dynamic suction is more pronounced, had they been a little further east where the canal widens they would have had more room to be apart and dynamic forces would have been none existent , or at least reduced, only those on the site of the incident know. However you can bet your bottom dollar the video evidence will be introduced into the proceedings. We can envisage all the media 'Shipping Correspondents' who don't know port from starboard writing and spouting expert opinions in abundance.

8. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From both of the vessels, The A.I.S data along with the voyage data record, which also records voice in the wheelhouse along with helm, engine settings, as well as the ECDIS track record, all will be used to analyze the how and why the collision occurred and the most likely outcome will be "Human error".
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some interesting points to ponder, would love know the outcome of the enquiry, kt
    R689823

11. Likes Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    #1 Doc, on a ship you can see a collision coming but are helpless to prevent it, in multi million dollar law suits, or as is the fashion these days also result in the Masters been jailed for years for damage to Govt property.
    can overcome that magnetism by avoiding action, Ivan is that Magnet magnetism still doing Mastermind, Haven't seen him in bloody years Terry.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th July 2020 at 10:57 PM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8. Could be something as simple as someone not knowing their starboard. From their larboard. JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast