Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong offer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hong Kong offer

Prior to the communists regime China was a feudal country the same as Britain was centuries ago, and long before Britain ever was .communism which many deplore which was the first of governments to rule outside the old system pulled the population into a bit better living conditions, regardless of the reputation they have accrued over the years.The same as Russia which much later had the people’s revolt in the 20th. Century which deposed the ruling government , and this should be called what it really was , a peasants uprising. If every country stayed behind its own borders and minded their own evolution as to how they lived, and not wanted to impose their will on others , the world might be a better place to live. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    The Chinese Ambassador in UK has said it is very noble of UK Govt to offer to take 3 million HK Chinese British citizens, but it is the Chinese Govt who controls who enters or leaves Hong Kong and not the British Govt, and there you have it in a nutshell.
    As i recall it Ivan, It was immigration that swung the very narrow victory vote for the Brexiter's
    This will throw the cat amongst the pigeons if the door is open for 3 million Hong Kong citizens to come on board, We cant house our own people in social housing where are these guys going to reside.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#22... Answer to query Terry, the same as they did at the end of the fourties and early fifties , put all us natives to the back once again of the council house waiting list, I remember it well. JS

The only house I ever lived in was from 1948 to 1953 .Before marriage. Previous to that was in rental properties or relatives. Our first house we thought was a palace .My brother still lives there. When I see today what we thought was good accomodation I shudder to think how easily satisfied we were, I. Well remember The squabbles that went on at the Council. Chambers even in those days about refugees getting the pick of the litter . Looking at most of these estates today they look like the old edifices one used to see down Grant Road. Even the stone monstrosities built in Murmansk as flats for the general population looked as good if not better than these estates do today. A lot of people me included live in the past, there is good and bad in this the bad is that a lot of people have been left behind as far as living conditions go. The good is that we have minds to make our own decisions in life and make our own way, which again is the way we make it. Although I feel sorry for the main bulk of the refugees they should always be secondary to the residents of that country and receive no extra favours. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd July 2020 at 10:17 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    You to will soon be a refugee!! Congratulations on selling, hope it all goes through OK, don't worry about the price the one you want never comes about, I have sold six and each one we got less than we thought. Good on you.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking forward to my non weed pulling days . No more hopefully of getting wrong for pulling plants out in mistaken identity by the missus. Let’s hope the banks don’t kill off the young buyers. Dreams . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The chance of any from Hong Kong moving to UK is remote.
    Apart from China saying who goes and who stays there are many other obstacles, language, employment chances, cultural differences just to mention a few.
    Weather conditions could also have an effect on some, and then finding a suitable place for maybe a large family may also prove problematic.

Nothing to see here lads, they will not be coming, well not any time soon.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

many houses were bought up here when the change over was in process in case they did a runner from china many are student flats in our area? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#26 Remember the Vietnamese boat people ? If they want to get here they will find a way.. cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #26 Remember the Vietnamese boat people ? If they want to get here they will find a way.. cheers JS
    plenty of big shipowners in HK, could make another fortune with refugees

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    The chance of any from Hong Kong moving to UK is remote.
    Apart from China saying who goes and who stays there are many other obstacles, language, employment chances, cultural differences just to mention a few.
    Weather conditions could also have an effect on some, and then finding a suitable place for maybe a large family may also prove problematic.

Nothing to see here lads, they will not be coming, well not any time soon.
    Those obstacles never put anyone, from anywhere, off before. That's why we see them packed in rubber dinghys crossing the channel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast