Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong offer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hong Kong offer

somehow I suddenly feel Happy to be 85,
    I hate Chinese food, having seen what goes into it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

100% behind that Brian, I had to go in a Chinese take away to repair their telephone line, I went through a gate into their backyard, the
    the first thing I saw was an uncovered tray of chicken parts with flies all over it and it was on a table right next to the outdoor toilet.I went
    through the back door into the kitchen , sacks of rice on the floor with mouse holes in them and rice all over the floor mixed with mice dirts,
    the whole kitchen was filthy, the telephone fault was caused by mice/rats gnawing right through it, from the road the shop was clean and
    totally opposite to the kitchen, I can't believe a health inspector had ever been in there, I've never touch chinese food, as I respect my tum, cheers

3. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    This should be interesting, one wonders where we will house all these people, our little Island is sinking slowly under all the weight, kt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53246899

Guess our Government will both do the right thing and get it right.

K.

5. Likes Red Lead Ted, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally I can’t see it happening on anywhere near that scale, also think China would be selective on who it would allow to
    Leave and those that would remain, those that leave Would very likely include Chinese Agents, it would be a golden opportunity
    For them, Boris Island, remember that, the floating airport in the Thames Estuary, thankfully got the order of the boot, cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was sitting in a pub which used to. Be my local in the UK many years ago on a trip back to the UK. It was a time of the dust bin men’s strike and the place looked and smelt like a tip. It was in the afternoon so the pub was nearly empty. This couple came in and think they were PR people for a train company as think the rail had recently been been privatised , anyhow they asked me if I lived there after gushing on about how nice the area was. They asked me my views, so I said for starters I used to live there but now lived abroad, then I said have you seen the state of the place dustbins over flowing etc. etc, I said if I had my way I would take every native born Brit off the island , leave everyone else there, hire 3 big ocean going tugs and tow it into the North Atlantic and sink it.
    They went scuttling out of the pub without answering , and I resumed drinking my pint of exhibition which they so rudely interrupted .
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

#14: In reality if Beijing tried to stop people with British National (Overseas) status (BNO) from leaving Hong Kong,
    there would be little that could be done by the UK.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hate to say this, but where were the demonstrators from the EU, Britain and Aus when the China was being raped by the rest of the world, when you think of it, the entrepreneurs of this world are jealous they can't get their hands on all that loot.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Empire building is still there under a different name. Why do you think China has such a huge army, and look at N. Korea the huge army she has compared with the size of country.. When you have huge numbers of men at arms you have to have means of using them at some time or other or you disband them .Time will tell , the world has learned nothing from two world wars, there are more bad guys than Mr. Good Guy , you would be looking in a haystack today to find a politician with any morals apart from his own self preservation .. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd July 2020 at 03:56 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz our PM has also indicated we will be wiling to take some in.

The problem with HK is that it was, and supposedly still is, part of China.
    Leased to UK for 99 years then handed back, so now China imposes it's laws to the people of HK.

But go back to the 15th century, China was then the known worlds biggest economy, they are close to that again.
    According to many economists China is the wealthiest country on earth, they along with Russia are the largest suppliers of global credit.

The one child policy, though it only applied to major cities, ended some years ago, the population continues to grow.
    They have the capability, through determination and hard work encouraged by the Communist party, to produce what they need and now the ability to supply most of the world what they need.

The world as a whole has been taken in by the way they produce, costs are so much lower than most western nations as wages are lower, the result all the goods we need are that much cheaper. The West has only itself to blame for the situation, greed has brought much of this about, not so much the greed of China but that of the west who wanted everything as cheaply as possible.
    Made in China though is not always true. Most of the clothing with that label is made in Cambodia, have visited the factories, where costs are lower than in China, but where China owns almost half of the country.

The Chinese have been here in Oz since the early days of the gold rush in the 1800's, they have assimilated well and every one loves their restaurants.
    Our local is very popular and very clean, unlike some I have seen, the owner we know very well but is like most of the Chinese here, and no doubt in China, work is their main act, very little else.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Brett Hayes thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Chinese Ambassador in UK has said it is very noble of UK Govt to offer to take 3 million HK Chinese British citizens, but it is the Chinese Govt who controls who enters or leaves Hong Kong and not the British Govt, and there you have it in a nutshell.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast