Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grenfell Enquiry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Grenfell Enquiry

Listening to various reports since the incident doubtless there were mistakes made in the evacuation of the building and it's very easy to point fingers at the first responders but the two biggest mistakes were the planner who allowed the material and a committee who selected that material in my opinion there is a case there for corporate manslaughter after the case of the fire service there is a case for lessons learnt by some very brave man who actually put their life on the line. Maybe next time one of these goes up up the fire should be attended and superintendent by the town council planning department then let's see how are they get on
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=happy daze john in oz;On completion we found that there was no disabled access.
    When the architects were questioned on this matter they informed the university that at the time of drawing up the contract such access was not compulsory.???????????????
    QUOTE]

Like most industries they would have been aware of 'impending legislation' within their own industry and these impending legislations have a lead time of 3 - 5 years on new projects/buildings with the lead time extended by a further 24 months for existing buildings. It was the same in the marine industry and as Supts' we had to be on top of 'impending legislation' at all times and on existing ships it was much cheaper to do it before the grace period expired, after the grace period the contractors/ship repairers had you by the short and curlies as far as cost was concerned. In the three companies I worked in as Supt I was able to convince owners to apply the new impending requirements as soon as possible because it would be cheaper in the long run and could be married into the next drydocking.

The statement made by the architects is pure lawyer speak, as any self respecting architect would be on top of impending legislation and incorporate it into the prospectus and plans.

3. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Over the years I have cleared a few you fairly low rise industrial buildings up to about 33 High with Steel cladding the local planning department have always promoted the insulated aluminium stuff has looking prettier.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Ivan Cloherty;337826]
    Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz;On completion we found that there was no disabled access.
    When the architects were questioned on this matter they informed the university that at the time of drawing up the contract such access was not compulsory.???????????????

Like most industries they would have been aware of 'impending legislation' within their own industry and these impending legislations have a lead time of 3 - 5 years on new projects/buildings with the lead time extended by a further 24 months for existing buildings. It was the same in the marine industry and as Supts' we had to be on top of 'impending legislation' at all times and on existing ships it was much cheaper to do it before the grace period expired, after the grace period the contractors/ship repairers had you by the short and curlies as far as cost was concerned. In the three companies I worked in as Supt I was able to convince owners to apply the new impending requirements as soon as possible because it would be cheaper in the long run and could be married into the next drydocking.

The statement made by the architects is pure lawyer speak, as any self respecting architect would be on top of impending legislation and incorporate it into the prospectus and plans.
    Ivan, here in Oz universities stand on Federal land and there is little control over what they can do, they are a law unto them selves.

The plans, like so many for unis here were drawn up many years prior to building, and even if they knew, knowing the company I doubt it would have made much difference.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are 400 yes 400 buildings in Sydney with the same cladding, a lot of dithering by the state Govt over who is responsible for removing it
    and who will take responsibility once these buildings take fire. High rise Buildings in Sydney are cracking and failing ; the people living there have to pay for the damage running into $millions, it will be the same for the cladding. Today the building engineers in N.S.W. don't have to be registered, think of all the criminal elements who are now classed as builders and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

8. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It just occurred to me that there are buildings everywhere which are even bigger, mainly office blocks. Commercial premises would need to have fire drills, so why not these residential premises, it could have saved a few more lives.
    It may not be practical to carry out but there may be better cooperation in future from the residents following the Grenfell disaster.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As i have said before, Hotels were required to test the alarm system once a month and a log book kept, this was all inspected quarterly by the fire service, this system was abandoned when the cuts to the fire service came in, and it is now down to the hotelier. I ask the question from anyone using hotels on a regular basis, when have you ever heard the alarm system being tested ??, now of course you just fill in the log book, just in case. These high rise will have been tested regularly in the past, suspect not now, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 40 years here in Oz I have worked in many different places, retail outlets, University, aged Care facility as well as a few others.
    Now a volunteer in a Community Health Center.
    In all of those I have never known a co-ordinated fire drill take place.
    Yes there have been suspected emergencies when it has been needed to evacuate, but that is all.

We have many large high rise blocks here in Melbourne, some no doubt with cladding, but have never heard of any fire drill for them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2