Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RNLI in trouble?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RNLI in trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post

As a past Treasurer in the RNLI - I can assure you that the majority of my local donations came from local pensioners and pensioner bodies who were not into Computers and could ill afford to subscribe to the RNLI Magazine. They supported their local station and as such the RNLI generously, so to label them ' ignorant ' is both arrogant and downright rude. They used to respond generously to RNLI appeals for money and very often donate spontaneously after a particularly skillfull rescue and those donations they expected to be spent on the crews and equipment in this country not in Africa. Besides just pensioners, not everybody no matter what age, has computers etc as you seem to expect nor too are they in receipt of the RNLI Magazine. I find your attitude cold, uncaring and uncalled for and typical of the blind response people have to the RNLI seemingly doing no wrong. Should these type of people in your words ' the ignorant ones ' cease to donate anymore then an extremely large chunk of the RNLI's income would vanish overnight.

PS my turnover was in excess of £45,000 per year.
    Ignorant is the correct word - there's little credence in complaining about donations if an individual didn't bother or wasn't interested in finding out where those monies would eventually end up. Even so, two pence in the pound is little to be worked up about. I can't help but think there's far more faux and contrived outrage surrounding this "revelation" than anything particularly real or substantial, no surprise really given the origin of the story.
    Anyway, since the original newspaper article was published it would appear RNLI donations have seen an increase, I therefore suppose that not all RNLI supporters take the same bigoted view of foreigners as some on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    When you have been on the site longer, your views may change.

You calling the general public ignorant may also be construed as condescending, or had you not considered that. Why would people who see a lifeboat box ask to read a RNLI prospectus before popping their contribution into it. I personally have not seen any prospectus literature alongside a RNLI box, nor a notice which says please read our terms and conditions before contributing to what you think is a lifeboat support service.

I for one will not be lectured to about my profession by anyone who has not served in it, I certainly respect the views of those who have. I had 60 years of service in the marine industry both afloat and ashore.
    I've been on this earth long enough to recognise conceit and self-aggrandizement when I see it.
    Length of membership of this site is unlikely to make unjustified condescension to others (as per your original post) acceptable to me, nor should it.
    Last edited by Jim R Christie; 26th September 2019 at 05:13 PM.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have made your views clear Mr Christie - it is obvious by the response of members what they think of them. I will leave you to live in your cold and uncaring world.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R Christie View Post
    I've been on this earth long enough to recognise conceit and self-aggrandizement when I see it.
    Length of membership of this site is unlikely to make unjustified condescension to others (as per your original post) acceptable to me, nor should it.

Sadly I also found the earlier post #23: patronising, condescending and totally uncalled for.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 26th September 2019 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had one, now we have two

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Why be so hostile, the site has been going well for a long time.

Please do not let it all slip back again.

Nothing prior to certain intervention was personal.

Shake hands make up and move on, plesse.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post
    You have made your views clear Mr Christie - it is obvious by the response of members what they think of them. I will leave you to live in your cold and uncaring world.
    I find it somewhat ironic that you label "my world" to be cold and uncaring when my views are I would say particularly egalitarian, as opposed to the nasty undercurrent blatantly present in the posts of some others.

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This getting nasty ,pack it in I have come back to the site the reason I came off was because of the nastiness of some of the posts.life is to bloody short to be bickering at one another everybody has their opinions so please live and let live although I can see what has caused this and agree.

11. Thanks N/A, Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There seems to be a nasty streak looming here Lads and this is certainly not called for,
    This site has been going without any hassels now for quite some time,so I urge you (the ones that are egging for no reason) to now STOP this nonsense ,otherwise I will step in and do something about it.
    We do not need any aggro on site
    Thank you and please do take note of what I have said!
    Thank You
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all at time make donations to various charities.
    When we make such do we consider where it will go, do we consider to read the charter of rights for the organization we are donating to?
    No, we donate because we want to in the hope it will help some other person less fortunate than ourself.

As a result of an operation I donate to that hospital about 6 times a year with a small, about $20 donation.
    I never worry about where it will go or who will benefit, I give as an appreciation of the good work hey did for me.

But I will agree with a number of members who have got a bit hot under the collar when person who have no understanding of how seamen see the world, or how their experiences make them think, then pass comment on them.
    When a member says do not nit pic, a member with no sea time, it is little wonder some get annoyed.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 27th September 2019 at 05:55 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

All have been asked to calm down,
    sadly, one again continues to stir.

K.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast