Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RNLI in trouble?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RNLI in trouble?

There will always be some ignorance from those who have not been to sea and know how seamen feel about such subjects.

Today a P&O cruise ship picked up a stranded sailor who had a yacht that was taking on water, somewhere in the south seas region.

Seamen will always come to the rescue of others in peril at sea.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

My own experiences with lifeboats in Southern Ireland alone,
    would hasten to add a lot of shipping is not generally to close
    to the area that needs urgent help. Titanic is an example.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 26th September 2019 at 06:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    My own experiences with lifeboats in Southern Ireland alone,
    would hasten to add a lot of shipping is not generally to close
    to the area that needs urgent help. Titanic is an example.

K.

What experience with lifeboats was that Keith.

We know you were never in the Merchant Navy serving at sea, this in no way diminishies the efforts you make and have made in keeping the service in the forefront, but a seaman it does not make you; nor give you the right to lecture those who have served and if you think that mentioning the Titantic is something we are not aware of, just shows your lack of real awareness of our profession and the lore of the sea by which we served regardless of creed or colour.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

As said an example, there is no need to nit pic.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    As said an example, there is no need to nit pic.

K.
    But you failed to answer the question, but I understand! as I feel sure we all do!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post
    Well said Ivan - At sea seaman are seamen, no matter what nationality or religion - a brotherhood - who go to all lengths to help any brother seamen in trouble, to infer otherwise is an insult to everyone of us who sailed in the profession.

There is a big difference between an RNLI lifeboat manned by unpaid volunteers saving the lives of any nationality of the world in the seas around our coasts, often risking their lives and losing them, and the RNLI spending £3 million pounds of public donated monies towards our coastal rescue services to teach people in a far flung African country to swim and to supply services. Services which were intended by the donations to have been supplied to their own Volunteers back here in the UK. The public are led to believe they are donating to the RNLI operations in the UK and Channel Islands, not to unknown overseas operations organised by the RNLI.

There is something seriously wrong somewhere when charities deviate from their acknowledged path without the knowledge of the public, who donate in the belief that their donations are going to their desired destination.
    The RNLI have never hidden the fact that they perform and fund work overseas - it's clearly mentioned on the website and appears occasionally in Lifeboat magazine.
    Therefore the public are not "led to believe" anything and if they do have ideas about RNLI work that is incorrect then quite simply that's down to a lack of research on their part, or to put it another way - ignorance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    What experience with lifeboats was that Keith.

We know you were never in the Merchant Navy serving at sea, this in no way diminishies the efforts you make and have made in keeping the service in the forefront, but a seaman it does not make you; nor give you the right to lecture those who have served and if you think that mentioning the Titantic is something we are not aware of, just shows your lack of real awareness of our profession and the lore of the sea by which we served regardless of creed or colour.
    That's a particularly condescending post and totally uncalled for.

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The RNLI have never hidden the fact that they perform and fund work overseas - it's clearly mentioned on the website and appears occasionally in Lifeboat magazine.
    Therefore the public are not "led to believe" anything and if they do have ideas about RNLI work that is incorrect then quite simply that's down to a lack of research on their part, or to put it another way - ignorance.

As a past Treasurer in the RNLI - I can assure you that the majority of my local donations came from local pensioners and pensioner bodies who were not into Computers and could ill afford to subscribe to the RNLI Magazine. They supported their local station and as such the RNLI generously, so to label them ' ignorant ' is both arrogant and downright rude. They used to respond generously to RNLI appeals for money and very often donate spontaneously after a particularly skillfull rescue and those donations they expected to be spent on the crews and equipment in this country not in Africa. Besides just pensioners, not everybody no matter what age, has computers etc as you seem to expect nor too are they in receipt of the RNLI Magazine. I find your attitude cold, uncaring and uncalled for and typical of the blind response people have to the RNLI seemingly doing no wrong. Should these type of people in your words ' the ignorant ones ' cease to donate anymore then an extremely large chunk of the RNLI's income would vanish overnight.

PS my turnover was in excess of £45,000 per year.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 26th September 2019 at 03:51 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R Christie View Post
    That's a particularly condescending post and totally uncalled for.
    When you have been on the site longer, your views may change.

You calling the general public ignorant may also be construed as condescending, or had you not considered that. Why would people who see a lifeboat box ask to read a RNLI prospectus before popping their contribution into it. I personally have not seen any prospectus literature alongside a RNLI box, nor a notice which says please read our terms and conditions before contributing to what you think is a lifeboat support service.

I for one will not be lectured to about my profession by anyone who has not served in it, I certainly respect the views of those who have. I had 60 years of service in the marine industry both afloat and ashore.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

New Hastings Lifeboat to honour mum and son's love of the sea.
    Click on to html to read about it.

https.//www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/people/new-hastings-lifeboat-to-honour-mum-and-son-s-shared-love-of-sea-1-9086114

Regards from,
    Fouro.

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Correction to my post above.

https://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/n...-sea-1-9086114

Fouro.