Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: RNLI in trouble?

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: RNLI in trouble?

To not assist as donators and with donations could cost lives.

K.

2. Likes dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith - I served as a Volunteer both operational and as a local official for 20 years with the RNLI. This blind faith that people have that they can do no wrong is ridiculous. There are TWO sides to the RNLI -

ONE the very brave and dedicated Volunteer Crews and Beach Crews who actually go out on the Lifeboats - launch them in all weathers and routinely risk their lives -

and TWO the fat cat management, parading in 4 x 4 cars on overpaid salaries with some on 6 figure salaries. Management with no idea how to manage - ex RN with their Lower Deck and Us style of dealing with unpaid volunteers.

I have experienced it first hand and it is nasty, vicious and downright degrading, so much so that I will never ever give a penny to the RNLI. They are very clever at disguising and hiding the truth and their failures and the victims are not only the Volunteers but the poor public, who are fooled into thinking that their often very generous and also in the case of pensioners, sacrificial, donations go to the very brave and dedicated crews - they dont know about all the managers and hangers on who all have their fingers in the pie because all the RNLI literature normally shows pictures and stories of heroic rescues giving the impression all monies go to the unpaid and volunteer crews, How wrong is that.

So see the full picture Keith from one who has seen it and experienced it.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 25th September 2019 at 09:39 AM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This illustrates the state of the RNLI and how it's managed.
    Click on to html and find out.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/n...s-rnli-3355627

Regards from,
    Fouro.

h

5. Thanks Chris Allman, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

I have no doubts that many at the top of much need changing in many ways.

Stopping donations would only hurt many.

Address the leaders and head to the top for change.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I must admit I have never had any problem with the RNLI rescuing passengers and crews from foreign ships or anybody, whatever their nationality. My understanding is their brief is to rescue those in peril on the sea. No mention of nationality. I am sure those seafaring subscribers on this page will be aware that it was an obligation to render assistance if another ship was in trouble. I don't recall it being dependent on nationality.
    A number of years ago I was critical of the RNLI when they introduced beach lifeguards at coastal resorts when the local councils abdicated their responsibility. I now see it is the best thing to do as there is a far more professional approach to keeping the beaches safe. They too will be involve is providing assistance to holidaymakers from several parts of the world. I really do not see why there should be objections to the RNLI professional services trying to prevent a few kids in some other part of the world from drowning. Happy to contribute.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Though I cannot pass an RNLI collection box without adding much.

Recently, started with others, asking to donate or raise amounts for

a particular piece of kit for a local station and gearing all to providing

as per request direct.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams (2) View Post
    I must admit I have never had any problem with the RNLI rescuing passengers and crews from foreign ships or anybody, whatever their nationality. My understanding is their brief is to rescue those in peril on the sea. No mention of nationality. I am sure those seafaring subscribers on this page will be aware that it was an obligation to render assistance if another ship was in trouble. I don't recall it being dependent on nationality.
    I think it is quite insulting to us professional seamen to infer that we object to the RNLI saving people of all nationalities in peril on the sea, many of us have been to the assistance of other vessels in distress in hurricanes and typhoons and the nationality of the seamen or flag of the vessel was never an issue. However the generous general public are under the impression that their contributions go towards keeping the lifeboat system alive. There are numerous charities that can supply funds for Burkinis and swimming lessons to those deserving causes.

There are many disillusioned RNLI volunteers along this coastline who are disgusted in the way they are being treated by pen pushers who have never even stepped aboard a lifeboat let alone gone out on a shout.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Why chastise the because he expresses a different view?

All have differing experiences and views.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well said Ivan - At sea seaman are seamen, no matter what nationality or religion - a brotherhood - who go to all lengths to help any brother seamen in trouble, to infer otherwise is an insult to everyone of us who sailed in the profession.

There is a big difference between an RNLI lifeboat manned by unpaid volunteers saving the lives of any nationality of the world in the seas around our coasts, often risking their lives and losing them, and the RNLI spending £3 million pounds of public donated monies towards our coastal rescue services to teach people in a far flung African country to swim and to supply services. Services which were intended by the donations to have been supplied to their own Volunteers back here in the UK. The public are led to believe they are donating to the RNLI operations in the UK and Channel Islands, not to unknown overseas operations organised by the RNLI.

There is something seriously wrong somewhere when charities deviate from their acknowledged path without the knowledge of the public, who donate in the belief that their donations are going to their desired destination.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

13. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

#4: ?

k.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast