Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snowflake Society

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Snowflake Society

I am really amazed that one single complaint to a regulator can cause a item to be banned.
    The latest to join the list is the 1969 record by Blue Mink "The Melting Pot" the record was played on UK Gold and one listener complained that the lyrics were offensive. The regulator agreed and banned the records as the words were offensive.
    The records words were take a little bit if white man, red Indian boy, Latin kinkies and chinkies, put them all in a big melting pot, and what have you got, coffee coloured people.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Snowflake Society

1950's - Enjoyed a lot of coffee in Havana, Callao and Valparaiso, Colombian coffee was dangerous in Buenaventura in those days, could lose more than one head!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    I am really amazed that one single complaint to a regulator can cause a item to be banned.
    The latest to join the list is the 1969 record by Blue Mink "The Melting Pot" the record was played on UK Gold and one listener complained that the lyrics were offensive. The regulator agreed and banned the records as the words were offensive.
    The records words were take a little bit if white man, red Indian boy, Latin kinkies and chinkies, put them all in a big melting pot, and what have you got, coffee coloured people.
    Vic
    My teacher at Galley's Field, Hartlepool (same school artist of Andy Capp went to) told us (in the early 50s) that eventually all people would become the colour of milky coffee. Mind you, he also said that, because of the wireless, in future all Britain would speak BBC English. But I notice ever more regional accents on the BBC, a fact I enjoy. However the younger speakers are often unable to string a sentence together without 'like, sort of, kind of', accompanied by much pseudo stammering/repeated words when they cannot think of what to utter next. The off button will soon be worn out.
    Harry Nicholson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No I think we did need some political correctness but we taking it too far a couple of years ago associating with with some guys who had originated in the West Indies or whose parents had I was being cold but all those white folk should apologise for slavery and compensate all the Black Folk. Because my descendants came from coal miners in Staffordshire I had done a lot of research into the social conditions but they lived under. In all honesty they were treated as bad as the slaves and as far as you can say that they had their freedom really ? . We spend so much time trying not to upset people that we forget but really we're all equal regardless of colour of skin , gender , sex ,
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

5. Thanks Keith Tindell, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rob
    I did my family tree, and in the 1881 Census, my great aunt Emily is described as a COAL MINER.
    AGE 8,. EIGHT YEAR OLD GIRL, Now that is slavery.,.
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 29th August 2019 at 08:24 PM.

7. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read a lot of history of the Derbyshire Miners who were a bit rebellious on the grounds at the mine owners kept cutting their wages the way of dealing with them was the stabbing back to work and along the way was an interesting recipe for bread soup where you took stale bread that was rock hard from the bakers dustbin mixed it with nettles dot leaves and all kind of hedgerow herbs and boiled it for bread soup. No starving dissenters to death will the way but the working class were treated and if you read some of the history of workhouses how so-called religious men could be so cruel I find beyond belief. I'm afraid but I don't support reparations I compensation for the 10th generation of Slaves descendants
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has all gone too far, Victoria Station London and the toilet sign tells you,
    Other genders and gents.
    Saw a thing coming out, could have been, male, female or other take your pick.

But now here in Oz you can have your birth certificate changed, born male but do not like that then get it changed to female or what ever else you would like to be.
    One small problem, if you are born with the 'furniture' in place then as far as I can see you are male.

But as is always the case the minorities now rule.

Even those in favor of democracy do not now want to complete the wishes of the people as they say the current situation is undemocratic.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Vic

Some where over a rainbow ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shed a thought for the 13 year old apprentice rivet boys back in the early 19th century, Now that's what I call oppression many of them worked that many hours that a lot of them where welded behind a plate in the shipyard after falling asleep, Only to be found years later when the ship was broken up. A time served riveter was given a cap which they where very proud to where the young rivet boys where not even clocked in or out. P.C. Has gone way beyond its limits. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Brian.
    I was saying to the wife only yesterday driving home from the shops, and all the high school boys were going home, I wonder how they would fare if they had to leave school at 14 and work in a tinplate/steel works; eight hours a day; six and half days a week, and as I said the the girl in the paper shop on Sunday, the cost of the Sunday paper was what my wages were in that time.
    Des

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast