Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another passenger goes overboard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Another passenger goes overboard

A Korean women has gone overboard from a Norwegian cruise liner.
    There seems to be a rise in these incidents despite the design of these floating blocks of flats making it difficult to accidentally fall over the side.
    Rgdshttps://news.sky.com/story/amp/searc...anean-11738211
    J.A.
    O

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another passenger goes overboard

There were a few conflicting reports yesterday, by different news agencies.
    One first said , It was a 14 year old girl in pink pyjamas who was left on the balcony when her parents went to bed at 1 am. and at 0830 had disappeared.
    Then she was an American woman, then she became a Korean woman age 63.

This seems to be happening quite a lot these days, They always say, They fell overboard,
    It is very difficult to fall overboard, most rails are up to chest height. so they either climb over and jump or are killed and then thrown over. The sea is a perfect place to murder someone. and dispose of a body.,
    I guess it is easier for the Log Book and the Inquiry after, that it is a suicide instead of a murder.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps it's the latest trend in suicides, which seem to be on the rise these days, especially among the young, many can for some reason see no future; sad realy.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As Brian said, very difficult to fall over the side now, either jump or be pushed.

Bit in the news the other day about the generations of today, now so relient on social media and the 'smart phone' today they are not developing the natural communication skills.
    A sad indictment on society that it has reached this point.
    Suicide amongst the youth of today is at an all time high.

Three times as many men as females now commit suicide here in Oz.
    Last year 2047 men 735 females.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Captain Kong, Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think some of those who "fall" overboard are suicides.I would guess most of them are from the USA.
    They may have a terminal illness and knowing the very high cost of a funeral in the USA , decide to end it at sea to avoid giving their families a very large bill for the funeral.

Also I cannot understand why the kids of today are suicidal. cannot see a future etc.
    How do they think we felt during WW2, being Bombed by the gerrmans night after night, friends , family and neighbors killed, house destroyed, no where to live and NO possessions. no school.
    We never ever once felt suicidal. In the Air Raid Shelters we used to sing all the wartime songs loud to try to drown out the noise of the explosions, as the earth shook and heaved as the bombs hit close by.
    Too soft today.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fools, Fitters and First Trippers sit on handrails??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Bryce View Post
    Fools, Fitters and First Trippers sit on handrails??
    Things have changed!! Fitters!!, it used to be Fools, firemen and first trippers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea what time of day these people go missing. If it is late in the evening this comes to mind. The mesmerising phenomenon of phosphorescence, those of us that have witnessed it will know the effect it has if you stare to long. First hand an Apprentice Eng. celebrating his 18th birthday with a little more alcohol than he should have had, starts staring at the sea, next thing he was on the handrails trying to jump over, it took thee of us to hold him back, later he had no memory of it happing. It certainly shook us up I can still visualize yet.
    Bill

10. Thanks Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes William J Plank, N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Another Headline;

Terrifying moment woman ends up in the sea after near-collision between two ferries off of Ibiza
    Passengers on one ferry appeared distressed as another one approached them

One woman is believed to have jumped into the sea fearing an imminent collision
    She is said to be unhurt but one of the ferry captains has reportedly been fired

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ies-Ibiza.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I think some of those who "fall" overboard are suicides.I would guess most of them are from the USA.
    They may have a terminal illness and knowing the very high cost of a funeral in the USA , decide to end it at sea to avoid giving their families a very large bill for the funeral.

Also I cannot understand why the kids of today are suicidal. cannot see a future etc.
    How do they think we felt during WW2, being Bombed by the gerrmans night after night, friends , family and neighbors killed, house destroyed, no where to live and NO possessions. no school.
    We never ever once felt suicidal. In the Air Raid Shelters we used to sing all the wartime songs loud to try to drown out the noise of the explosions, as the earth shook and heaved as the bombs hit close by.
    Too soft today.
    Brian
    Brian, Your post reminds me of a bosun that used to live across the street from me in the 70s I was at sea and he retired early in the 70s threw ill health, He was a typical mans man of the sea and always had the deck crews welfare at heart, I never sailed with him but certainly would have, His name Stan Duvall known as Stan the man at Mann Island pool one of the few who marched down the gangway followed by the whole deck crew during the strike of June 66, They where herded up like animals and thrown in jail in Santos, In 1974/5/ Stan was diagnosed with the big C Not one to make a fuss I remember reading a book on my old mams step it was 11am and Stan shouted over fancy a pint lad I declined. About 4.30 that afternoon his wife ran out the house screaming after returning from work and found him topped himself in the front bedroom, Me and J. Pruden,s brother cut him down. One of the best there was and never forgotten. Terry
    {terry scouse}

13. Thanks Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast