Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Crew forced to abandon container ship as it tips over in dramatic Liverpool2 scenes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crew forced to abandon container ship as it tips over in dramatic Liverpool2 scenes

I sailed in the first Panamax containerships with OCL. They were definitely stabilised. I believe it was a requirement for insurance purposes as the boxes on deck were only secured with twist-locks on the corners. Throughout trips Europe to Far East via the cape - trans-Pacific, trans Indian Ocean and trans-Atlantic they hardly seemed to move in a seaway. Once Europe bound through the Bay of Biscay the coffee mug on my desk slid lightly - a rare phenomenon. Looking out of the cabin window we were steaming through a heavy gale...and noticing other ships hove-to.
    Last edited by John S Martin; 6th June 2019 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crew forced to abandon container ship as it tips over in dramatic Liverpool2 scenes

Hi All ... It is a rare occasion that we hear about the Box-ships ( I am loathe to use the word boats when referring to ships ) getting into trouble , is it not ? So maybe John S Martin has the reason why above ... thanks John for reassuring me , some what , with your explanation re. insurance requirements.

Norm Anderson

' From Tottenham to Tahiti and my life beyond '

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stability ,Gladstone CPR Berth, Empress of Canada capsized in dock due to water from fire fighting not escaping from upper decks. The Berths blocked about 2 years. How would the mobile floating apartment blocks fare with a fire in the upper structure re stability .J.Bannon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3