Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Crew forced to abandon container ship as it tips over in dramatic Liverpool2 scenes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crew forced to abandon container ship as it tips over in dramatic Liverpool2 scenes

Stabilisers are usually withdrawn in inclement weather, as the action of the stabilisers in bad weather will increase the ships movement.
    Vic

2. Thanks Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Crew forced to abandon container ship as it tips over in dramatic Liverpool2 scenes

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    In my time at sea there were to my knowledge no box boats, i came ashore in 1964, a question someone on board here may answer for me is, do these box boats have stabilisers ? , something else that i never sailed with. If they have stabilisers , and as the recent episode with a cruise boat of the Norwegian coast shows, they really do rock and roll if there is a problem. On a box boat, i should imagine that would be a big big problem in a seaway, kt
    Keith
    I believe the early Bay boats of P&O were fitted with stabilisers as if I am correct with my memory they did not lash the deck stow but the stow was only a couple of tiers high so twistlocks only.
    The first purpose built container ship I sailed on was fitted with flume tanks which were an utter waste of space and money. Mind you of the container ships I sailed on the deck stow was only 4 high max with the upper tier being empties, this was on the north Atlantic run to Montreal.
    These bemouths with deck stows 7+ tiers high, there biggest worry is parabolic rolling where the ships roll period coincides with the swell period.
    Looking at photos of, for instance, the maersk triple E class under construction I saw no signs of them being fitted with stabilisers but maybe they have a newer and better version of flume tanks fitted.
    Rgds
    J.A.

4. Thanks Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    MSC MATILDA was seen tilting in Liverpool2 dock on Friday (May 24). ” The £400m Liverpool2 container terminal is part of the Port of Liverpool, owned by Peel Ports . Opened in 2016 it is best known for its giant red cranes and means Liverpool can now handle the world's biggest container ships. Source : Liverpool echo

"All ship’s crew onboard are safe and well.

"The vessel is now reported to be back on an even keel following a ballast transfer with unloading due to commence later today.
    The crew eventually returned to the ship at 8.30am once the vessel was righted.
    The £400m Liverpool2 container terminal is part of the Port of Liverpool, owned by Peel Ports .

Opened in 2016 it is best known for its giant red cranes and means Liverpool can now handle the world's biggest container ships. Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 31st May 2019 at 06:56 AM.
    {terry scouse}

6. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On TV a few months ago it showed a Maersk ship getting built. On top of the bridge the full width of the ship was a tank containing water, it was designed to cut roll. Don't know if it worked.
    Vic
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 30th May 2019 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vic
    Sounds like a modern version of the flume tank system I mentioned earlier.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiroll_tanks
    Last edited by John Arton; 30th May 2019 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed with them damned things the motion of the rock and roll could never get used to with accommodation forward of the decks, preferred the all aft ships and rear loading ramp. Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the news today a river cruise ship hit by a larger one and sank in seven seconds??
    The captain of the larger ship, one of 'Viking', has been arrested and charged with negligence.
    A number of passengers from the smaller ship still missing.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref 12, thanks for that John, i have never heard of flume tanks, another education from the site for me, plus info from the internet when i looked it up, there is a demo on the internet on how they are supposed to work, all new to me, regards kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like incompetence and/or unfamiliarity with ballasting procedures.

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They have anti-roll tanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast