Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BBC Skysails

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default BBC Skysails

Interesting picture of this ship in M.O.S.
    She is powered by a convention diesel,at the flick of a switch she can unfurl a giant sail, which can help power the ship. The sail can reach up to 1000 feet were the winds are stronger.

The developers even claim that the sails could power the ship, and there would be no requirement for the engines to run. Computers would plot the best course to maximise the wind.
    Vic
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 17th December 2017 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: BBC Skysails

Walker Wing Sails Company had a ship ASHINGTON, fitted with wing sails that was computer operated, with vertical wings, very successful also fitted to Yachts,
    The fuel saving on the ASHINGTON was fantastic.
    they could even sail directly into the wind.
    I had a few thousand shares in the company, BUT some American gangsters became shareholders and with a certain amount of manipulation for some reason forced the Company into Liquidation, I lost all my shares, quite a few bob, and Mrs Walker, the Company Secretary committed Suicide.

Hi Vic,
    what is M.O.S.? please. cannot find a picture.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th December 2017 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Walker Wing Sails Company had a ship ASHINGTON, fitted with wing sails that was computer operated, with vertical wings, very successful also fitted to Yachts,
    The fuel saving on the ASHINGTON was fantastic.
    they could even sail directly into the wind.
    I had a few thousand shares in the company, BUT some American gangsters became shareholders and with a certain amount of manipulation for some reason forced the Company into Liquidation, I lost all my shares, quite a few bob, and Mrs Walker, the Company Secretary committed Suicide.

Hi Vic,
    what is M.O.S.? please. cannot find a picture.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Mail On Sunday. Brian.
    Vic

5. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That sale looks quite tiny to meet compared to the Walker wingsail I'm surprised it's actually making any significant difference . It looks more to me like the mate's flying a kite
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rob.
    A sailing Yacht was crunched by a Sydney Ferry on the weekend, made a right mess of the Yacht, The usual people were screaming for the Ferry Skippers blood, both skippers were breath tested and cleared. But the Harbour Master said that on Sydney Harbour the rules were ALL vessels including sail were to give way to the Ferry's.
    Cheers Des

8. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a small minority f pleasure boat owners here on the South Coast ignore common sense , I would make every boat over 3m require a licence of some type , even if just to test safety knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know this is an old post, but i have just been reading the latest attempt at sail power for large ships. With the cost of fuel soaring, it seems to me, as a layman, that this could take off, so to speak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66543643
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 Hope all these wizards in Climate Change have got all their facts and sums correct about all the expected changes in the weather and that the winds expected directions and force remain as they are used to , and that the wind flow is always as is from an area of high pressure to an area of low… Keith. There only ever seems to be one villain in the game of climate change , which if didn’t know better would call Bad Weather. There was mention sometime ago about the polarity of the earth changing faster than normal which will affect the earths magnetism and possibly the frequency of magnetic storms just for starters . Or on the other hand the changes on the closeness of the Sun whose nearest approach changes daily, any changes in the normal accepted distances that this generation has been used to would cause definite changes in weather as some prefer to call it would occur, the earth is totally dependent on the Sun for its well known climatic regions of our planet . JS
    As regards depths of the oceans , during my 50 years at sea up to 2002 , a line of soundings was well known as a means of position finding for fixing a ships position and soundings taken by Captain Cook and in the late 17/18 century’s were still very accurate in the year 2002. I think a sounding stick as someone calls it is one of the most accurate means of the truth still available . JS

When people say the seas are getting deeper , they are referring to the height of the tide on top of the sea depth , so they are misinformed before they ever start. That height of tide is caused mainly by the moons gravitational pull and to a lesser degree the Suns. So if one really wants to get caught up in all this hype , you would have to work it out for yourself from Chart Datum which is usually mean L.W. Spring Tides , and as said some of the Charts I worked with out here were surveyed by Capt. Cook and have little doubt if worked it out backwards today the Chart Datum would show little if any change. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st August 2023 at 12:09 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #9
    good evening, your article is a classic example of the time you spent learning your trade , and for over fifty years at sea that you have witnessed and gained the knowledge of the climate, weather tides etc. and you where able to use knowledge based on the imformation from seamen the likes of capt james cook to determine that the L.W spring tides taken from cpt james cooks original soundings and chart datum taken over two hundred years ago to come to a decision that chart datum from cpt james cook would show very little difference today.
    the trouble with the doomsday end of the world prophets whom are seeking to ban cows for farting for fear of causing co2 levels that will make the seas boil and the human brain to burst with unbearable heat,and destroy mankind. Im afraid its total bullshit, yes we are seeing weather pattern changes but what these lunatics
    unlike you are failing to do is use the research from before nineteen seventy five, but they come out with a statement about the the worlds hottest day in a hundred and fifty thousand years when their records only go back to 1880, stating they have core samples to prove it, when the truth is that the imformation they have and process and manipulate and using computers to show projections into the future is already false and therefore the answer is lies. Why because there is so much money to be earned.Look at Gore and kerry they are world ambassadors for the global con trick of net zero.
    There is no reason for this insanity of net zero that will destroy the west, But the word the great RESET which the corrupt joe biden used to explain everything when he came to power is the real reason why the world has gone **** of tit, we are simply shifting heavy manufacturing completely from the west in a attempt to balance the damage the west is being blamed for in its quest to colonise the rest of the world two hundred years ago together for being blamed for the industrial age which was first to cause green house gases, more maddness But its called reparations, so all kneel at the alter and give way to the afflicted.
    but i digress, if the world is being heated in the manner these nutters keep screaming about, why does the ownership of beach side properties keep going up, why are property prices in london which a tsunami would destroy if the seas where to gain suddenly a extra metre or two, why do banks keep giving mortgages on these beach side properties and why does the insurance companies keep insuring them,
    just a thought,
    tom

other countries and for the industrialisation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast