Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Judging a book by its cover.

34 Comments by Paul Johnson Published on 11th June 2020 11:57 PM
    Hi All,
    This a story that owes its inception from a thread posted by J. Sabourn entitled 'The Police State', a varied series of over a 110 posts debating the police state, racism and prejudice; well worth a visit if you have not already done so. My next story in this forum was going to be about ringbolting, that will have to wait for another time. Onward with this story:

I was outward bound on the 'Arawa' as Assistant Ship's Cook, cooking for the engine room and deck crew, the Ship's Cook was the most obnoxious and bullying person I had ever sailed with, not only did I have to work with him all day I also had to share a cabin with him. As a reasonably fit and 'handy' chap I would not normally be too bothered, but this bloke was very large, at least 6' 2" and 18 stone plus, on top of that he was a wrestler when ashore; and I do not mean the soppy stuff on telly, this guy was violent, nobody complained about the food in his mess!

We did not hit it off from day one, if I went for a shower he would quickly leave the cabin and lock the door, I would have to hunt for him wearing just my towel, this may sound trivial, but anyone sharing a cabin soon realises a certain degree of co-operation is required. This and other niggles were almost a daily occurrence, until one day it reached its nadir, there was this brute standing in the galley doorway threatening me with a visit to the hospital, and I do not mean as a visitor, (ironically I was to spend time in the 'Arawa' hospital next trip, another story), he was not joking. In this long narrow galley I was at one end and him at the other, there was nothing to hand, a knife, pot or anything, just this hulk coming towards me, I opened a drawer nearby, full of the usual detritus; pens,notes, old menus, but there nestling amongst them was a can opener. Do you all remember those openers for opening your tinny? The bent triangular piercing blade could be very sharp. So I grasped this 'weapon' and brandished it, I thought he was going to wet himself, WITH LAUGHTER, with comments that he may now extend my hospital stay for longer, I had a brainwave.
    This man had one love in his life, letters from his wife were tossed aside, instead he would concentrate on the daubed pictures and scrawled letter from his very young daughter, he idolised her; all I could think of saying was that he may send me to hospital but his daughter would never kiss his face again. He stopped as if he had walked into the proverbial brick wall, it took a while for the full import of what I had said to filter through to him, with that he stormed off. I never ever went anywhere without an opener with me; in my pocket, in the shower, on the table in front of me in the crew pig, and he knew it, I even had one looped on my belt as an aide memoire for him.

Anyway, that is how things were, an armed truce, me with my 'weapon' and him with his bulk and violence. Our next port of call was Cape Town, that afternoon I went ashore to play football against a French ship, there were two reasons for this, one, I always played sport for my ship if I could, secondly, I would be breaking the law; as a mixed race person I should not be associating on the field of play with white people. Normally I would not go ashore in a country that determined what park benches I could sit on!
    After we had served the evening meal I had a shower( taking my key), got back to the cabin to change, my Nemesis was there, as I was not going for a run ashore I just put on flip-flops, shorts and a T-shirt. My cabin 'mate' said "not going ashore?", I explained that with my heritage and not agreeing with Apartheid, I was going to the pig, after he had digested this, maybe ten seconds, he got up and retrieved a bottle Bacardi from his locker and suggested we have a drink. Now I know some of you romantics out there will jump to the conclusion that from that moment we became the best of buddies and I became his daughter's Godfather. No, we drank the bottle of Bacardi, I told him of the circumstances of me being mixed race, and he talked of his daughter for an hour. Afterwards he went to the senior rating's pig and I went to my pig.

The next morning started as usual, I cooked breakfast whilst he prepped lunch and dinner, afterwards my job was the vegetables and potatoes in all their myriad forms, and to make pastry for the desserts etc. I then noticed a large pot of stew on the range, giving the chalked menu a surreptitious glance I could not see its inclusion, in an ordinary environment one may have tendered an inquiry, but this was not an ordinary environment. Anyway, after the crew had 'lunched' my helpmeet said "get bowls and spoons", such a talkative barsteward, we then went forrard to the tween decks of No. 1 hold, there ,squatting around were the black dockers, we then dished out the stew to everyone, my larger half said "finish what's in the pot, he (gesticulating to me) , will collect and wash everything". That is of course what I did. Not one word was ever spoken of this between us.

Now I know a reduced number of you romantics must think, NOW they are going to be bosom pals and Paul IS going to be that poor benighted child's Godfather. NO, NO, NO. We left Cape Town and if anything spoke even less, the rest of the trip was terrible, my only highlight was when one of the Asst. cooks in the passenger galley was Tom and Dick and I stood in for him; the grill chef thought I was the bee's knees when I had 50 steaks on the go under the salamander and could tell him whether they were rare, medium or well done.
    I offered the Asst. cook on his return a swap, Asst. Ship's ck. was a piece of cake, he told me to go away in short jerky movements, he had met the Ship's Ck.

I met this person years later, I had left some knives on the 'Hauraki', never thinking I would ever see them again, but met up with her in Gladstone dock Liverpool, I thought I would pop over, the knives were marked. I spoke to the Baker, he was as happy as Larry for me to take them, as I was wrapping them in a cloth I had brought who should turn up but my Nemesis, with many expletives he inquired what I was doing there, after my explanation , and seeing two large knives in my hands, the conversation ended. On my exit I met the Second Steward, He had been on 'Hauraki' when I was on there, I think his name was George Patterson, he whispered to me that, "that f#$%^&* is not sailing with us".

So you see dear reader that even a neanderthal thug had principles, but of course he would not recognise principles as such, possibly did not know what a principle was. But even now I applaud his actions, the F!~@#$%^ barsteward !!

Cheers, Paul.

2. Total Comments 34

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Judging a book by its cover.

I was bullied, beaten up every day for four months on my first trip to sea as Perggy on the Commodore Grant, I was going to kill myself by jumping over the wall.
    The Story is on here. "My First Trip."
    then I thought why not one of them, I battered the biggest Bully lashed him with a chain stopper, got him over the rails and tried to kill him and would have , but the 2nd Mate and another AB pulled me off him. What a change in the crowd after that, I was treated with the upmost respect, Should have done it on day one of the voyage.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those amongst us who did National Service in the army should know what it is to be bullied. This bullying was entirely different from the bullying mentioned in previous posts of this topic. The difference being that the bullying dished out by the military drill pigs was legal. The poor recruits had to suffer humiliation and everything that the drill NCO's demanded and said to them, but sadly they couldn't complain about this treatment as it was all part of their military training. The only good point about it was he drill instructors couldn't touch them manually. Maybe some of you who were National Service Conscripts could let us know if you agree if what I have written is true or not.

Regards from
    Fouro

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 Only what have been told. One bloke I knew just completed his N.S. And a newly fledged teddy boy, who used to hang around the amusement arcades trying to impress the girls by his prowess on the punch bag, he was stationed in Hong Kong ( army) he had the mentality that went with his long sideburns and razor blades behind the collar, so invariably finished up in the cells on jankers. The cells however had no. Bunk and was given a blanket only , to make it a bit more uncomfortable the floor was kept under 2 inches of water , so he had a choice , remain standing for days or lie on the floor. It broke him which he readily admitted, hard man as he made himself out to be. On the same vein I saw a national serviceman take out 3 teddy boy assailants with his webbing belt ,which he wouldn’t have been able to do without his army training . Judging a Book by its cover is a very appropriate title for most things in life. Another one was a story that went round South Shields in some of the pubs I used to frequent in my youth was another altercation beteeen the town tuffs and this seemingly small soldier , however he was regular army , and unbeknown to his bullies was special forces. He decommissioned them in about twenty seconds flat, however they were hospital cases , one had half his face torn away, by simply this small insignicant looking man putting his finger in one of their mouths and ripping it away. So could be added to the post title look before you leap also. And maybe keep your mouth shut at the same time,cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th June 2020 at 02:35 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i wonder if the toerag who defaced the statue of winston if he was given a tooth brush and water and a RSM and a few soldiers screaming at him until it was totally clean and spotless that should be his unpaid hours from the law would he get his paint out ever again the fella trying to burn the union flag some counties he would never be seen again he would be up to his knees planting rice? we are far to soft. jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Thailand he would have been jailed for life, it is even an offence to fold a banknote if that fold goes across the King's face, these rules are enforced.

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think I’ve still got some bahts from Thailand ? Ivan, next time the wife’s got the iiron out will get her to press them just in case. Otherwise will try and remember if ever go back to use the credit card instead. Cheers JS.

This travelling abroad there’s quite a bit to remember e.g. No chewing gum in Singapore .JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th June 2020 at 08:29 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fouro it is true mate they said it was to make you take orders without question, my question was would the barsteward speak to me like that in civvy street I think not. It got me in a spot of bother when I was in Egypt and was the Brigadiers operator on exercises the radio set in his jeep had a very limited range, during the exercise he decided to go for swim in the Red sea which lead to us getting out contact with said exercise, he said I was no use to him and to get out of the jeep which I did he then went nuts told me to get back in and accused of dumb insolence to my officer Nobby Clark who went beserk when I told him where the Brigadier had gone swimming it was then I asked Nobby if the Brigadier would speak to me like that if I was in civvy street because if he did I would probably have belted him one. It got me another reprimand and told to keep such opinions to myself or I would be in deep trouble. Rgds Den

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Terry Sullivan Guest

My first trip as Asst.Cook was a bit like that but only for one trip but I remembered it when I became Chief & Ship's Cook even when I got lumbered with some right deadbeat assistants.
    Terry Sullivan R340406
    Last edited by Terry Sullivan; 18th June 2020 at 05:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry, kit has been said that there were three types of cooks at sea.
    Cooks, cuckoos and willful bloody murderes.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,
    My ship's Cook definitely was in the last category.
    Cheers, Paul.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast