Apr 2019
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Lesson learnt

5 Comments by Anthony Bird Published on 31st October 2019 03:19 PM
    I am not too sure of the vessel but it was blue star and the only one I sailed in I believe it was the Sydney Star.
    We took 12 passengers to Australia and then went around the coast unloading going to Tasmania with coal to a port called Electrona.
    There was a heavy shower of rain and as is usual the sun came out and I took the chance to go out on deck from the galley only to be knocked off of my feet by a mini explosion coming from the Carbide Factory that we lay alongside. Goodness gracious! I exclaimed but in a more nautical phrase.
    to a man hanging on to the rail with the hat typical of the region on his head telling me he could be local. Do people get killed here very often?
    " Nope" he replied straight of face. " Only once." After a bit more of the same he invited me to his home and I met the family and went out in the dark around the orchards to scare off vermin after the fruit.
    The following day by arrangement he picked me up to go to a village outside of Electrona called Snug as they were going to be playing a match with the village of Fly. There would be the match followed by a feast and dancing, but if this was not enough excitement for you you could join in with the other sport of the evening going toe to toe with anyone you liked for a friendly sparring match. The victor getting the fallen back into the bar and matched up with another schooner.
    Merv as was his name got into swing of things I enjoyed the food and dancing I can say nowhere else was I so well taken care of what lovely people and that went for everybody I met.
    We left them behind but I have never forgotten them and I was glad to learn that in Electrona you only got killed once.
    Last edited by Anthony Bird; 31st October 2019 at 03:20 PM.

2. Total Comments 5

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lesson learnt

I sailed on the Sydney Star to New York I think it was late 1945 and returned with a load of goodies to Antwerp for the American forces in Europe. the following voyage on the Sydney Star was from London with I think 24 passengers bound for the river Plate area we were only a few hours out from London when we anchored off Falmouth and all the passengers were taken off. I have always wondered what the reason was for this we then continued our journey to the Argentine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Small beginning extract from the Memoirs of Phil Kelly

SYDNEY STAR (163221)
    (November 1952 – March 1953)

I had to go to London’s Victoria Dock and sign on another Blue Star ship.

She was a cargo/passenger ship of 12,000 tons, beautifully built but old and laid out internally by the real craftsmen of earlier days. She became one of my favourites.

The Radio Room was behind the Bridge, roomy and one could have a comfortable walk back and forth for exercise. My cabin was on the lower decks with the Mates and Engineers and at the end of this deck aft, a huge dining saloon with sliding glass doors opening onto the afterdeck. Really beautiful.
    Last edited by Helen; 13th November 2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: onto is one word

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What was the year ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very sorry but I am unable to remember. It had to be early 60's or one or two years earlier. I went from that ship to be Chief steward on the Sugar Importer.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have just read your story and I also did the two trips you mention .You have forgotten to comment on the storm we ran into on the return journey from New York .I was a 17 year old cabin boy at the time and I remember the baby grand piano in the lounge being hurled across the deck towards the dining room. My friend from back home was also a crew member. he was an ordinary seaman named Ron Walker.