Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Lawrence of Arabia - Film props and Vehicles

40 Comments by Chris Hurren Published on 10th January 2019 04:42 PM

Attachment 28315
    In 1962 as a raw 3rd Mate I joined SS Hendrick for a short trip around the Med., through the Suez Canal and up the Gulf of Aqaba with a cargo of film equipment and Props. for the film 'Lawrence of Arabia' starring Peter O'Toole and Omar Sharif. Pictured is the 1914 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost that was to be used to depict Lord Allenby's staff car. We also had on board 2 Rolls Royce turreted Armoured Cars. and a quantity of blank ammunition to be used in the Filming. In those days the Gulf of Aqaba only had one navigation aid which was one very bright light, right at the top. I recall that the chart we used had notations like 'Wadi conspic. (even at night)'! You can see in the photo of the car the registration No. PB 7078. I wonder if the owner of this car knows of its illustrious past?
    Attachment 28314

2. Total Comments 40

Comments

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Lawrence of Arabia - Film props and Vehicles

RE: #20: You seem to be adding your remarks in a lot of late, please just keep to the topic.

No one wants to go down the old road again.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 13th January 2019 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy, there is nothing wrong with the old road and your comments are always welcome, you bring a smile to our faces so often. Just like the old days at sea, we tend to go off topic at times.
    By the way how is her leg these days, we do not hear so much about it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes cappy, Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Cappy, there is nothing wrong with the old road and your comments are always welcome, you bring a smile to our faces so often. Just like the old days at sea, we tend to go off topic at times.
    By the way how is her leg these days, we do not hear so much about it.
    ##well john seamen dont like whingers it causes bad feeling aboard ....or hangers on ....also known as sea lawyers must bloody comment on everything ......she is doing fine JS got her new ballbearings in her castors designed by rob and they are so succesful torville and dean have asked her to join the team no doubt you will see a report from our roving reporter.....i believe she repaid the kindness for her new system by giving JS and rob a whirl.....JS got dizzy and rob drank his beer ......nuff said regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I gave her a Maritime Year Book circa 1959 to show what you were really earning, she was shocked and said you always told her that your monthly allotment of half a crown was half your wages. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I gave her a Maritime Year Book circa 1959 to show what you were really earning, she was shocked and said you always told her that your monthly allotment of half a crown was half your wages. Cheers JS
    ##if i remember 57 and 58 my monthly wage was 10 pound 17 shillings a month when i got rated it was 28 quid a month .....a millionaire plus 3 meals a day ...cheap ciggies and cheaper women .......happy days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes , can see that they don’t come much cheaper than half a crown a month. Did you give her a puff on your ciggie as well, or is that gettingt too personal. Mary didn’t like talking too much about her domestic bliss, maybe she told Rob more, he was more of the fatherly type, and encouraged confidences. As long as they corresponded with the safety manual. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Getting back to Lawrence. Re the movie... didn’t it leave a doubt in people’s minds , very risqué in those days , that there may be some doubt as to his sexuality. In the movie when captured by the Turks he posed as a Syrian with his light skin colour. The Turkish commander appeared to have a penchant for small boys, and him and Lawrence disappeared off screen. Today it wouldn’t matter oneway or another. In real life those if read his biography he was always considered a loner.. JS

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had never come across that ship or funnel before so I googled it. The Hendrik belonged to the Euxine shipping company who had an unusual beginning. The ship itself had a sad end when she ran aground and sank of the Ilha De Maraca Brazil in 1974.

13. Thanks Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the time of seeing Lawrence I was with NZSC and we had two repatriations on board.
    Two guys from Oz who were as gay and as camp as any row of tents.
    Both were convinced that our Lawrence was one of them, and if not he would be after he came out from the tent.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks Chris Hurren thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that Lawrence of Arabia (Peter O'Toole") was one of the finest Actors to come on to the Big Screens,and in this one he took a magnificent part,must not have been easy .
    He may have potrayed to a lot as Gay but he was only a Loner as mentioned,which there are many in the World.
    He was by nature a great adventurer and would do most anything , to get his Kicks in life!

To be a loner is a hard life ,as one is sort of cut off from all reality,and lives within himself,it can at times be a very difficult life!
    I know about it as I knew of a special Person in my life that was exactly like that,i can tell you that these sorts are real Men in life and can withstand a lot more than most,but sadly they don't fit in very well.
    Just my take on this ! Cheers

I loved him in the Movie " Rouge Male " that was some Acting! Anyone recall that Movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Male_(1976_film)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

17. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast