Thread: London

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: London

Keith. #13 Re "Overners"

Though I'm a Yank, I think I might qualify as an Overner:

My second maternal great grandfather, Sydney George Moses b.1868, Godshill, I.O.W. left the I.O.W. for the bright lights of London. going back from him I have dates, places and records tracing back to my 12th great grandfather John Moses 1560-1680 b. Brading, I.O.W. married Elizabeth Spanner b, Wroxhall, I.O.W. I can go two great grandfathers back from her to my 14th great grandfather John Spanner. b. 1495, Chale, I.O.W.

Through another branch of my family tree, I can go even further. But I'm afraid to post that as I don't think anyone would believe it, however I have dates places the whole nine yards. I have seven three-inch binders full of support documentation. Plus, my whole family tree is posted on site called Ancestry, Genealogy is my hobby. So fingers crossed I make it as an honorary Overner

Whereas, all my grandfathers are Moses (Changed to Moss in 1911) all my 12 great grandmothers have different family names. So I have 12 other names associated with the Island. If you would be interested in the names and towns contact me privately. Don't want to bore the the rest of the crew,

Cheers, Rodney
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10 The 5 th. August was my daughters 60 th. unfortuanetley have just had my computer suspectedly hacked since the Thursday a couple of weeks ago so have been out of touch with the outside world , now have only a new IPad as the desk pad is also kaput . So anyone who sent private messages I have not done a runner , the person however did the hacking would be advised to start running . Welcome back John in Oz don’t know when you emerged from your travels but welcome back . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th August 2023 at 05:18 AM.
    R575129

3. Thanks N/A, cappy, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodney, looks like your family spreads pretty much all over the Island, top to tail, so looks like you and me are both *overners*, so wellcome fellow *overner* lol.
    R689823

5. Likes N/A, Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, thanks for the welcome, sorry to hear you have been got at.
    We arrived back at Tull airport at 2330 hours last Wednesday.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further to my post #21.

One of my aunt's told me there was a big dark family secret, grandad was Jewish, as his father had changed the family name from Moses to Moss. Quite frankly I could care less. But strangely I had been circumcised, today it is quite popular, but it wasn't in 1937. I asked my mother how come? And she fluffed me off with it looks prettier.

It was always a bummer back then when we had swimming lessons at school, as in the changing room the boys all checked each other out. Not that there was much to check out after swimming in an English outdoor swimming pool in June or even August for the matter.

Anyway, when I got involved in genealogy, I found out my grandad's family name had been changed from Moses to Moss. Well, every Moses I checked, as you can see from the dates in #21, they go back to the 1500s, and they were all christened and married in the Christian church and are buried in their local church's cemetery. I looked up the origin of the Moses name as to when surnames were introduced into England. It was by the Norman conquerors in 1066 and attached from occupations and trades (Smith), Miller; location, West, North; biblical, Moses (Abraham etc.), son of; Jones, Jonnson, etc.

The date my maternal great grandfather changed their name, corresponded to the time of thousands of Jews escaping from Russian pogroms and Cossack attacks on their villages, and many came to England and Whitechapel, London in particular and the rumor of the day that had circulated was that Jack the Ripper had been a Jew. This change of name connection is pure speculation on my part, though my great grandparents did live in Whitechapel where the murders took place and was becoming a Jewish ghetto, until he hit the bigtime and became the Covert Garden Market, buyer and shipper of produce for the shipping industry at London's docks and moved. So, I have a Merchant Navy connection from back then.

Cheers,Rodney
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

9. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#25.. Maybe I Am a Jew Lover Then Rodney . I found a Jewish owned British Company, incidentally one if not the oldest British owner of Tankers one if not the best I have ever worked for. Nothing to be ashamed of in my book. Have known a few Jews both male and female in other parts of industry , and their fallacy should be incorporated into the British saying , “ An Englishman’s and a Jews word is their bond “. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the 60's the Jewish population in London was made up of hard working people.
    My wife worked for M&S back then and he store manager was Jewish.
    When he heard we were going into the pub trade he gave her a cheque for GBP200, saying work hard and reap the rewards.
    We certainly over the years have done both.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes N/A, Rodney Mills liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3