Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My Sea Time and Ports

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Sea Time and Ports

#19. What a waste Ivan would of had them for his go ashores to see Dolores . I would have had them as well rather than have to borrow a pair 6 inches too long off the senior apprentice on my first trip and had to roll up , he wouldn’t let me cut them as wanted them back the miserable bod. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th September 2021 at 07:00 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc, write down today what you did yesterday so that you don't forget it tomorrow; what you did fifty years ago is still as clear as a bell.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my first trip, I started to keep a log.
    Can't recall the reason, but I stopped doing it half way through my first trip.
    Often wondered why.
    I must have found other amusements.
    I still have it, but no clues to be found.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If only i had kept a diary of my time in the MN , and my subsequent time in the fire service for 30 years, i am sure i would have enough memories to write a book, but to try to recall it all without dates would be hard. one story i will relate , because of the subject in the news with HGV drivers at the moment. HGV driving licence came in late 60s, thats a guess, so don't hold me to it. I was in the fire service where we all drove appliances, and so qualified for HGV automatically. At that time the fire service duty system i was on was 3 days, 3 nights, 3 days off. There was a shortage of drivers because of the new licence requirements, and so in my off duty days there was much work HGV driving for us. I might explain that in addition to my on duty call , we were for extra money , on call via house bells in our off duty time. I came off of of day duty and was asked by the removal firm that i was driving for on my days off, that there was an urgent job to go into store in the town of Eastleigh, there was already a crew of off duty firemen doing this removal , but needed help. I went and gave this extra help, and it was a sweet shop in town, and the lady was requesting what had to go into store, the good furniture was going, and rubbish furniture left behind. After finishing the second load in to store, we went home. In the early hours of the morning, our house bells sounded, and sure enough the fire was the sweet shop. The shop was well ablaze, and i was tasked with one other to enter via a bedroom window to enter the building in BA, as i went into the window after breaking the glass, i sustained a cut to my left hand. The building was reeking of paraffin as we knocked the fire out, but i was taken to hospital by ambulance to have my hand stitched. What transpired after i had left the fireground was the lady was found in the garden shed tied up with a piece of rope and said, yobs had demanded money, and then tied her up and set fire to the house. Her luck was out big time, little did she realise the very men removing her valuable furniture, were the very men attending when she deliberately set fire to the place.She was charged with arson, and jailed for 4 months, with an extra month for causing injury to a fireman. Really this only came about because of the shortage of HGV drivers as the same today. One wonders how many firemen today are earning big money in off duty today ?, virtually all fire men are qualified to at least HGV3, don't know what class that is today, kt
    R689823

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Den.
    I started a log when I went to sea, kept it for three trips and a then stopped, threw it away later on in life along with a few mementoes that I shouldn't have but still got many.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=j.sabourn;386961]I’ve got my indentures hanging on the wall to remind me that life started at 75 pounds a year.. JS[/QUOT E]

PSNC have my testicles hanging from my indentures, they also took every bit of blood they could get, but I'd still do it again. :

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a little brown book into which wen ta lot of info such as phone numbers of some ladies and other at the time useful, most likely now useless, info.
    When we got married she made me throw it away!!!!!!!!!!!!

But did have a camera, Las Palmas 35 ml but good cost me all of two silver tea pots but it was still working 40 years later.
    Took a lot of photos many of which I still have.
    The camera has gone to a second hand shop, some one may collect such
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Reading some of these reminiscences that old saying “ worse things happen at sea “, should be rewritten as “ worse things happen at sea and often in port “ . Cheers JS
    My Stan actually stole a car belonging to an officer believe it was, in Australia in 1966 to drive back to his ship the MV Nottingham and ended up n prison with us friend and ship mate Roger. Then they were sent back home , not in disgrace luckily but as AB's on the SS Devon in 1967.

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sylvia, they were lucky back then.
    NSW Police are the toughest here in Oz and will take you away for looking at them sideways.
    Got done by them for being a drunk passenger in the back seat but with no seat belt on.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3