Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: How about that

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How about that

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Very true Ivan but the war did not start until the 3rd September 1939 so why was there a delay if plans had been drawn up ? It was introduced in 1948 by the Atlee Government was it not?
    Budget Lewis, budget, we were recovering from a depression in the 1930's and the equipment for defence of the realm took priority, not enough money in the kitty for both. Yes it was introduced by the Atlee Govt, but it wasn't a Labour initiative though they do like to say it is. Hansard will show it was not. Just an observation, cheers

Keith at Tregenna Guest

The NHS as we know it today grew out of a government report composed during the darkest days of World War II.
    Written by the economist Sir William Beveridge 1942.

As said, the idea rolled out across the UK by the then-Health Minister Aneurin Bevan in 1948.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 30th September 2021 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It would not take long now for us to be stuffed, the MN saved us last time for food etc, we don't posses one now as we all know. totally reliant on road transport to bring it all in. You would think some muppet in power could see where we are all heading. An island nation with no ships, unbelievable , kt
    R689823

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The original concept of the NHS was floated in 1921, abandoned as no money money.
    Resurrected in the early years of the war, considered at that time due to other priorities..

6. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Keith go back to the Falklands conflict only got away with that by chartering in a few foreign flagged ships. Also BP have now all but abandoned shipping greatly reducing the tanker fleet and I am sure there will not be to many LNG carriers heading to the limited number of LNG ports in the UK. Oh but hang on a minute who flogged off BP?
    That's because the British MN fleet was so decimated they couldn't find enough British ships to commandeer.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too true Tony , I was at the heart of the mustering of ships and the main body of the fleet in Portsmouth , before during and after the Falklands war. Most of the merchant vessels after dredging for appropriate British vessels were foreign, and chartered. Shortly after it was common knowledge that if the same happened at that time it would have been impossible to accomplish. Britain was very lucky on the outcome of the war as it could easily have gone the other way. We were on notice to join the fleet , but was cancelled as we were the only vessel the RN had capable of taken survivors from a bottomed submarine and were stationed normally off Holy Loch and Fastlane . I lost no sleep when it was cancelled and a foreign vessel chartered ...JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th September 2021 at 01:02 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just have to share this one that happened to my friend Mike yesterday.

He bought a brand new pick up truck, it's about four months old now. He told me that yesterday he had a driving accident. I naturally asked what happened.

"I got hit by a flying broom".

Well I burst out laughing a blurted out. "What happend to the witch?"

When I calmed down, he said. "That's what the woman at my insurance company said and she laughed too. And said "That's the first time I've heard that one and I thought I'd heard them all."

He continued. "I was driving down the Motorway and a great big broom came flying out of a pick up truck going the other way, smashed my side mirror and dented my fender. It's going to cost $1,500. to fix and I have $1,000. deductible, so I'm out $500.."

As an aside, I can't understand his logic or lack of same. He's not financially hard up and the difference between what I have, a $300. deductible and his, is a savings of about $400. a year on the premium. Seems to me like as the old saying goes. "Penny wise and pound foolish."

I don't know what car repairs cost in the UK, and Oz, and I assume they are about the same as here in Canada, other wise we would take our cars into Canada to have them fixed, but here it's not cheap.

On my honor, this is a true story and not something I've dreamed up to raise a chuckle

I told Mike, that I was going to post this and that he would be an international accident star tomorrow.

Cheers, Rodney.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A response to shortage of truck drivers in the USA:

True. The main cause is the long distances they have to drive, sometimes from coast to coast and back. (2800 miles each way) They can drive a maximum of 11 hours a day and assume Evan though speed limits vary from 70-75 MPH. say 60 mph AVG. That's 660 miles per working day. Most drivers, judged by seeing them at Rest Stops, seem to be in their late 50-60s. Though I have read they earn around $100k plus a year, the industry is not attracting young drivers, male or female. Seems they do not want to be away from home and family.

Cheers, Rodney

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    shortage of truck drivers ????

Gees John

All we can hope for is that the Tunnel they keep talking about that will Bypass us here will soon be started, it will be a Godsend!
    Cheers

Vernon, we have trucks by the millions here in Vic and many on the roads.
    But there is still a shortage of drivers so a lot of goods sit on the docks waiting.
    The hours of work prove a bit of a problem for many drivers who do not want to be away from home at night
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 4th October 2021 at 06:17 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More about US Medical.

I said I would post my bill for the tests I had this week, they will probably take a month or so to filter through the insurance system, however I just received a claim sheet from Medicare for a another test I had and here's the breakdown:

This is a summery notice from Medicare, the insurance health program for seniors (over 65) this was for a pathological test for basal cell carcinoma (skin cancer). a sample of tissue taken from a suspicious patch of skin.

The labs fee was $582.00.

Medicare said they would pay the lab $133.98. The lab accepted this as full payment.

However, Medicare only pays 80% of the agreed amount or $107.18, a balance of $26.80 (20%) is owed the lab by me or my secondary insurance. In my case, I do have secondary insurance, who paid the 20%, leaving me with a balance of zero.

Had I been under 65 and had no insurance, I would be responsible for the full price of $582.00.

This same formula is followed if I had had a major surgery for both surgeon and the hospitals bill.

My wife's illness cost a billing price of over $800,000.00. Her medical paid out about $230,000. We paid nothing. But had we not had full coverage for her, we would be liable for the $800k.

The same formula and result would be if it was employer or union providing the insurance, and if you were flat broke, however, you would be treated, you don't get to pick and choose your doctor nor have a room to yourself, but those wards that I have seen in the hospital in the UK with loads in the room and just a screen for privacy went out donkeys years ago, almost along with leaches.

The problem is if you fall between the two with assets and have no insurance you are liable, but you will be treated, no one is turned away,

Cheers, Rodney

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast