Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Kong is back from Tahiti.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kong is back from Tahiti.

The Pitcairn Islands, Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands,are a group of four volcanic islands in the southern Pacific Ocean that form the last British Overseas Territory in the Pacific. The four islands – Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie, and Oeno – are spread over several hundred miles of ocean and have a total land area of about 47 square kilometres (18 sq mi). Only Pitcairn, the second-largest island that measures about 3.6 kilometres (2.2 mi) from east to west, is inhabited.

The islands are inhabited mostly by descendants of nine Bounty mutineers and the Tahitians (or Polynesians) who accompanied them, an event that has been retold in many books and films. This history is still apparent in the surnames of many of the islanders. With only about 50 permanent inhabitants, originating from four main families,[3] Pitcairn is the least populous national jurisdiction in the world.

Henderson Island is 60 miles from Pitcairns, which is next door in Pacific terms.
    . I was in Pitcairn three years ago in 2014, I met Jaqi Christian there, grt grt grt grand daughter of Fletcher. see photo below.
    Henderson is uninhabited and Pitcairn only has 50 people on it, There will be a problem soon as when the children grow up they leave and go to college in New Zealand and tend to stay there after, When I was there, there were only 5 children on the island.
    In Mid Pacific I did see many plastic bottles floating past the ship.
    Photos,
    two boats from the island, Jaqi Christian and me, The Landing and BIG climb up to the village, and the view the Mutineers must have seen for the first time, as we approached the Island. It is only a tiny island, no beaches, just sheer cliffs.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 16th May 2017 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is another friend in Tahiti who is a descendent of the Mutineers, Manuraii Young, grt grt grt grandson of Mr Midshipman Young who took a Tahitian bride with him to Pitcairns,
    when I was there I asked a lady if she knew Manuraii Young on Tahiti, she said , "Yes, he is my cousin, but we do not speak to him anymore,"
    so a family tiff I presume.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 16th May 2017 at 12:15 PM.

3. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Pitcairn Islands were name after a young midshipman called Pitcairn who was working in the top gallants, on the then current charts there were no islands shown even though it was a well traversed route as all previous vessels had missed them, probably just over the horizon. At least someone in authority decided that at least the person who spotted them should be credited with it, rather than name them after the captain, which was the normal practice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes and he was only 15 years of age. [ don't know they are born today]
    His father was killed in the American revolutionary war.
    It is officially known as Pitcairn`s Island and not Pitcairn so the name belongs to him.
    all very interesting around there. that is why I enjoy going back.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian, I hope you don't mind me adding some of my reminisces of a very different era. Those motor boats would be easier on the journeys to collect timber from the other islands.
    Cheers, Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

7. Thanks Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Ivan Cloherty, cappy, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi richard , they are a lot bigger as well so could load a lot more.
    There is no timber on Pitcairn`s.
    Thanks for the story of your voyage to Pitcairns and beyong,
    Very Interesting.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th May 2017 at 10:17 AM.

9. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After sailing from Nka Hiva bound for San Diego it was a six day trip[ and two days to the equator,
    I experienced a very strange and unbelievable sight. in 66 years of sailing round this planet I have never ever seen anything like it.
    Just before we got to the equator I had drank a toast to my dear old Dad as it was the anniversary of his death, April 1975./

The following day we were sat on deck in the sunshine catching a few rays to top up the bronzy. A clear blue sky, with just a few wisps of white cloud, I then saw some of the very thin wisps of cloud coming together and the capital letter A appeared then an s followed by a p then an i and n and a and the ll.
    It spelt my name Aspinall. Across the clear blue sky. I was stunned, I shouted to the other passengers, `That's My Name`. they all stared in disbelief, I showed my pass with my name on, to a couple of them, they were amazed. My camera was in the cabin six decks down so I could not take a photo, A crowd of us on deck stared at it for about ten minutes and then it started to break up starting at the ll and then slowly letter by letter disintegrated into a small cloud.
    It was unbelievable that my name spelt correctly could be formed by wisps of cloud
    I thought it was some divine being saying , my time was up. It was very scary.

Then the following day again sat on deck in the sun on a very clear blue sky, a few wisps of cloud appeared and started to form letters again, first the capital letter S then the letter o and then n, spelt Son
    Again the other passengers also saw it. after a few minutes it slowly disintegrated and disappeared.
    It was both amazing and scary. I wondered if one of my sons were in trouble, didn't know what to think, There was no internet at the time as there was no satellite cover in that remote part of the Pacific.
    When we arrived in San Diego I phoned home and the lads were both OK.
    All I could think of then , Was it my dear old Dad sending me a message for remembering his anniversary.????

The most incredible experience I have ever had, a message in the sky and witnessed by dozens of people.
    Has anyone else experienced that ??
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th May 2017 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##many of us have similar experiences brian which have no real reason we know of but they are sometimes omens .....my shetland family have had a series of specific happenings.....when family has passed over .....and a letter written two days before a persons death arriving before the death of this person saying they were sat in the glow of oil lamp when she appeared at the table.....strange things happen at sea as any seaman will vouch for....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Sister said after my old man died a few years ago, that an Angel ornament she had on the sideboard used to appear facing the wall every morning she went into the Family room, also the rocking chair he used to sit in when over here used to start rocking for no apparent reason. JWS

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not experienced that Capt,and its a great pity that the episodes could not be Filmed or Pic taken,i would say offhand that it must be possibly a first of that kind,as I have never heard of such before! You tell a lot of good Tales Capt,and I for one minute don't doubt this happening but Heck mate that must be one of the weirdest and scariest things to happen to anyone!

The one incident I recall was of my Dad ,myself and my late Brother Greg going to a Gravesite in Southampton,he said he was being called there for a reason.
    Well on arrival he seemed to know exactly where to go (Had never before been there of that I am certain)
    Anyway we walked slowly up with him,and not too far he stopped and as I looked at him,he turned a very pale colour,blood seemingly draining from his Body,now that in itself was so scary for me and Greg.
    After a short while we turned and looked at a Gravestone right there by us!
    On the Inscription was " Ian Hamilton MacDonald" his exact name and there was a date of Birth and Death. Was this some Omen?? Not that we ever found out!
    Weird things happen.
    There is another story of him but have posted somewhere else!
    About a Ghost in the House.almost hitting him in his Bed ,leaving a distinct Burn Hand imprint on the Pillow Case. ??

Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

15. Thanks cappy, Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast