Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: South pacific news

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default South pacific news

Sailing from Sydney is always special, the bridge and opera house making a wonderful back drop as the ship eases from Circular quay. Late at night even better with myriads of lights flashing across the city skyline, cars their lights ablaze making their way across the bridge. Ferries scurrying across the bay to Manly with a cargo of workers and late night revelers.

The Ship' Dawn Princess' has arrived the previous evening with passengers disembarking the next morning. Normally ships will sail from Sydney at 1600 hours but our departure time was et for 2359 hours. Important work was being carried out on the prop shaft seals, work normally done in dry dock but that takes time, with divers doing the job. They were obviously efficient as we sailed at 2230 hours.

First morning at sea, the waters calm with a clear blue sky, mares tails scudding past in the early morning breeze. I opened the balcony door to view the day when I heard the noise. It was something from a past era and brought back memories of a younger man starting out on one of life's adventures. From the deck below it came, I leaned over the rail to see the source, and there it was on the boat deck a deck hand working steadily away with a chipping hammer. Some things never change. During the voyage I was to see this taking place in other parts of the ship as a steady program of chipping and painting was carried out. Even cruise ships have to carry out maintenance at sea.

This cruise was to be a little different from most I had been on, the age group was a very different mix. Of the 1980 on board over 20% were over 80 years of age. About 60% between 50 and 75 years of age. It was to become apparent later why.

I have in my time sailed with many ships captains as a crew member and as a passenger on a cruise ship, but never with one like this.

Tim Stringer was born in Bedfordshire, now lives in Nova Scotia, and began his life ta sea in the 1980's with BP Tankers.
    On my first morning at sea I observed him coming down a companionway and just said 'hello skipper'
    To my surprise he stopped, said hello and shook my hand. Asking if I was enjoying the day and ship I mentioned to him that it was a little different to those of the past. This opened up a conversation that was to last for some twenty minutes. We talked of shipping companies now gone and how ships designs have changed.
    He went on then to explain how the overall all company Carnival was to make a number of changes to the various fleets under it's control. There are a number of cruise companies covered by Carnival. Cunard, Princess, Holland America, Seaborne, P&O and Carnival cruises. Between now and 2020 another 20 ships will join the fleets. They will be of an average size in the order of between 3200 and 3600 passengers. Two will be set for the Chinese and Japanese markets with cruising still being the worlds largest and fastest growing vacation market.

One other aspect of this captain impressed me. It is the normal scene that at midday the officer of the watch gives, from the bridge, an update of position, weather and sea temperatures. On this cruise the task was taken over by the captain, but in much greater detail giving out far more information than one would ever expect. He would also spend about four hours each walking the decks and lounges talking with passengers, answering questions and offering advice. On days in port or when passengers had to be taken ashore by tender he would appear at the gun port door wishing the people well. Speaking with a number of crew they all told the same story, a very happy ship as a result of his influence and his working relationship with senior officers.

We discussed working conditions then with now, no doubt many of you, particularly in catering, may have experiences working days as long as 14 hours. Now Princess have made new arrangements with all crew in anew company agreement. No crew member now is allowed to work more than 10 hours per day. The only exception to this is disembarkation/embarkation day. Getting some 2 to 3 thousand passengers and luggage off and a similar number on., combined with removal of all rubbish, recycling items etc and loading new stores is a logistical marvel. To do all in some 9 hours takes a lot of careful planning.

Three great days at sea relaxing in the sun was a tonic indeed with calm seas and blue skies.

The crew, as on most ships such as this, are quick learners and soon know what the customer wants. Lunch in the self service restaurant was good, the choice of food is far too great and over eating can for some become a disaster. After one day the crew in that area knew my lunch time preference for a drink and it would appear without any request, all it required was a nod of the head. But the best was yet to come, second evening we were sat in the theatre waiting for the show to begin. I asked the waiter, nice guy from Goa, for a dink, this was at about 2115 hours. The drinks have to come from the Wheelhouse bar adjacent to the theatre. As they had not arrived by 2130 hours I asked where he was going for them? Just a moment sir he replied. A few minutes later he arrived with not one each but two drinks. Made a mistake I enquired ? No sir, but from 2130 hours top 2230 hours each night is happy hour, buy one get the second for $1. To the theatre first, even if we did not stay for the whole show, then off to the bar became nightly ritual.

It became very obvious from the first day that the age group meant there would ne no professional drinkers on this one. The coffee bars did very well meaning there was very often no queue at the bar. The pool side bar is very popular with the heavy professional drinkers, the ones who like the 'bucket of beer' specials. A bucket with five stubbies in ice at about 25% less than buying individual ones. Between about 1630 and 1830 hours it is quite common to see some guys get through two or three buckets, but not on this voyage.

The first port of call was Alotau at the Eastern tip of PNG. There ere a limited number of options for tours so we took one to a local festival. Here we were regaled by a number of local groups representing various culture groups within PNG. Not unlike many other islands in the South seas. From there we visited a memorial for an event during WW2.
    This was for the Battle of Milne Bay, fought between August and September of 1942. It was here that two battalions of Australian soldiers with limited air support from USA beta back the Japanese army which at that time was estimated to be some 100,000 strong. It was the first push back of the Japanese during WW2 and had the Australian not won it was quite possible the Japanese could have then invaded Australia.

Here endeth the lesson for today.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: South pacific news

Thank you John
    Again an interesting post of your Travels!
    But pray tell why you did not let me know you were Sailing from Sydney!!!
    I could have come down to meet you at last!!!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Thank you John
    Again an interesting post of your Travels!
    But pray tell why you did not let me know you were Sailing from Sydney!!!
    I could have come down to meet you at last!!!
    Cheers

Vernon, there was a lot of questions about actual sailing times. Had a number of e-mails from the company and some conflicting advice so we arrived very early that morning to be on the safe side. Sorry but I should have said but with all that was going on I just never got around to it. Please accept my apologies on this matter.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks KeithMoody, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes KeithMoody, N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI John.
    Did you manage to see the Opera House light show?
    Cheers Des

Opers House062.jpg

7. Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    HI John.
    Did you manage to see the Opera House light show?
    Cheers Des

Opers House062.jpg

No that did not begin until after we had sailed
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Things come to mind later and the following are such.

In the PNG islands they bury their dead, just as we do but with one difference.

They are burried standing up with their heads above the ground. A large clay pot is then put over the head. When all the flesh has gone the skull is removed. Taken then to the 'Skull Cave' where it is put to rest. Depending on the status of the person depends on how high the skull is placed. Villagers on the lower level, senior persons on the second and chiefs high up on spikes. Some have cracks, quite heavy, these are the victims of canabalism.

Some years ago Princess Cruises abolished compulsory gratuities on ships sailing from Australian ports. Here in Oz tipping is not very common in most places, though most taxi drivers get one.
    Crew have told me that they all want to get on the Australian run. Australians they say are the most laid back and easy to deal with. They are also the best tippers even though as I say we do not tip very often on a cruise it is very different. He told me that he and his assistant will have two sittings at dinner of 20. From each of these they will each receive on average some $30 each.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 7th June 2016 at 12:34 PM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John I have never been on a cruise as passenger , my ambition is to travel on one of the Clippers ships which have computer controlled sails. They are far smaller than the liners , carry less passengers and visit the more remote areas.
    I was interested when you mentioned tipping , it was once the policy of Carnival to include tips in the price of the voyage and pay the crew $2 a day. This would be considered by some as a smart business move as the passengers were paying the cost of manning the ships.
    Reading your post shows this policy has changed, but I wonder how much they are paying the crew ?

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis, there is much confusion about rates of pay as they vary between companies. Most crew will tell you they are far better off than being ashore, most will tell you that they can now buy a house, send the kids to uni, pay for a doctor. Majority of crew with Princess are from Phillipines.

One bar steward told me he was only paid $50 per month but gets $1 for every drink he sells, on average up to 100 drinks per day. Royal Carribean insist on gratuities at around $11 petr person per day but most from Oz will ask to sign a waiver on this. The company must agree as compulsory tipping is not considered to be enforceable.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks Louis the fly thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, it used to be the cost of a trip was when you arrived. Now it seems that they've solved that problem by keeping travelers aboard and returning to Start. This way they take the whole lot. I liked it with the family back and forth on leave after MN on the 12 passenger cargo ships. Everything provided, matey with the crew and duty free booze.
    I like your narrative and see how much enjoyment you get from your interest in everything about you.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for thta Richard. Yes we try to see as much as possible and talk to as many crew as we can. Many once they kniow my background will ask about howm it was then and I compare it with today. Organized tours by the company can at times be good but in many places you will get a better deal by using the locals to show you around. As an example we found the parliament in Honiara, not on the cruise company list of tours, and learned a great deal about not only the government of the Solomon islands but about the parliament building. How it was built, how much of the decorations came from NZ and much more.
    We continue to learn by asking questions and seeking out the places many will not go.
    Many of the passengers appear very concerned when we tell them where we went, but I guess it all goes back to those years at sea where often we went where angels feared to tread.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

18. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast